Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AO Tennis 2 Impressions Thread
I have the game on both PS4 Pro and xbox one x consoles. The following is based on my limited PS4 Pro platform:

Overall I think this game has lots of potential and at the moment, I like it better than the first AO Tennis game. Graphically the game looks better to me on my LG E7 55 inch OLED. Career mode looks better as well. Game play is interesting and easier for new players to the game, and even players who thought previous version was too hard. Rookie on this game is much easier. Yes, I know, Rookie isn't for everyone, but for those new to the game, or those who struggled with first one, this Rookie level is loads of fun!

There are some things that need improvement, such as logos for players that while downloaded do not appear anywhere.

In my opinion, this game, even with the issues, is worth the price and I'm glad I bought it--for both PS4 Pro and xbox one x.
I have the switch version. Plays better than AO1. However without cross platform online matches I've only found 4 matches in a week online. How is the Xbox One with people playing the game in online matches?
(02-15-2020, 07:32 AM)POPdevil Wrote: I have the switch version. Plays better than AO1. However without cross platform online matches I've only found 4 matches in a week online. How is the Xbox One with people playing the game in online matches?

I have mostly played on PS4 since starting a Career on that platform. I will be getting to my xbox one x next week. I don't think you can play online against people on another platform.
I know you can't play cross platform and that is killing the online mode.
The Bad.

Useless challenge system
Lack of unforced errors
AI that runs around like the Flash, even low level players on Amateur
Career system that starts you AT LEAST 10 points below your opponents in every category. And when you lose your  points go down!!!!!!! WTF were you thinking Ant?
Angry

The Good.

Uhmmmmm. Yeah...
(02-16-2020, 01:20 PM)BikerScot Wrote: The Bad.

Useless challenge system
Lack of unforced errors
Career system that starts you AT LEAST 10 points below your opponents in every category. And when you lose your  points go down!!!!!!! WTF were you thinking Ant?

Did you play AO1? I think they have done a much better job on AO2. The career mode is keeping my interest but I'm a "Online Match" kind of person. You don't play single player shoots only in campaign, you need to play against live people and so they need to really boost the Online mode to make this a real long term winner.
I started a career on my xbox, also have career on PS4. My player seems to have better top spin skill on PS4. Another thing is while my player in first tournament was against unseeded player first game on PS4, same level and player on xbox plays first tournament match against number one seeded player. Interesting. Anyway, the one thing that irks me is under sleeveless top for female there is what looks like a white undershirt? Well, maybe a bra? Or could be white straps?

I don't see a way to dress my player with real logos for clothes or equipment. I recall we could do that with Top Spin 4. Geez, that game is like 10 years old!

I cannot download players I shared because they are not found!
(02-16-2020, 03:01 PM)POPdevil Wrote:
(02-16-2020, 01:20 PM)BikerScot Wrote: The Bad.

Useless challenge system
Lack of unforced errors

Did you play AO1? I think they have done a much better job on AO2. The career mode is keeping my interest but I'm a "Online Match" kind of person. You don't play single player shoots only in campaign, you need to play against live people and so they need to really boost the Online mode to make this a real long term winner.

No I didn't. Haven't played a tennis game in years, so I expected more than I should have... I guess.
Career mode is getting more interesting. AI player had an ace! She hit it down the line really good! I guess my level going up brings more of a challenge. Another surprise today was I saw real racquet choices, such as Babolat and Head. Now I'd like to see logos for clothes like Nike and Addidas.

AO Tennis 2 is looking better to me than first AO Tennis game. I wouldn't say better than Top Spin 4, but it has the possibility.
I think my comment about graphics looking better was a bit too soon. I find it easier to create players in the first AO game because the lighting makes it difficult to assess hair color and logos on racquet bags--in AO2.

The other thing that I find quite irritating is how AI players with low skills fly around with acrobatic moves from one end of the court to the other--in Rookie career.

The lighting is better on xbox than PS4. I suspect this has to do with HDR and xbox processing it better.

Overall, I am not so certain AO2 is better than AO1, at least not at this point.