Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RLL3 Gameplay Tweaks
Not sure how many are still playing 3, but fwiw, I have had some moderate success editing the Lua scripts which drive the games rules and mechanics. There is still a lot of work to be done but at the moment I have been able to do the following;

1) Field Markings can be reassigned and altered, so its now possible to have e.g the NRL field markings in the qld cup, so the next Winfield Cup Seasons update will have the proper top 5 format for seasons 87 to 94. You can also have the GF markings in regular season matches etc, for those who like having the team logos painted on the field.
2) All retro Jerseys which have a collar can now have the proper Heritage collar model which used to be limited to only 2 teams (Melb & Bris). Same for the v-neck
3) Sin Bins have been turned off for holding down the players in career. This was very annoying when the AI would often be reduced to 12 or even 11 men
4) Strips have been eradicated, although because they happen fairly infrequently, I am not sure if I will turn this off completely. 
5) Added the ability to choose 4 different types/colours of head strapping, so you can have e.g Paul Sironen with white strapping, Wayne Pearce with black and Benny Elias with green.
6) AI offload frequency has been increased. You can actually make the AI offload during every low tackle attempted, which means they draw and pass when making a break and/or coming to the fullback, which makes it almost impossible to defend against......but it is not very realistic and there are too many intercepts and loose passes getting turned over. Just increasing the frequency seems to be the better balance. Before it didn't really seem to matter whether you chose arm pin or low tackle, but now there is more strategy to it and you have to be careful what you select.
7) Significantly reduced the amount of ball spills and knock ons from offloads, esp in the wet. This was a bug in the wet games where practically every offload would go to ground or subsequently get knocked on. It will only happen now if you are really poor/late on the timing etc. 
8) Grubber strength and trajectory has been tweaked so the results are a little more varied and unpredictable
9) Chip Distance, height and trajectory has been tweaked so its possible to chip and chase and regather a little more...still not perfect, but I think its slightly better.
10) I was able to change the Player attribute groupings, so that the player stats would be more realistic and easier to change...but unfortunately, no matter what you change in the front end, it gets overridden by the game exe in game, so it looks like this will not work. There may be a way to prevent the override, but this may be difficult.

This is only scratching the surface, so I hope to be able to find out how to change other things like making forwards more effective in hitting up the ball, and increasing the chances of ball spills from Big Hit tackles etc. FrancoBaldo from Planetcricket is the real guru when it comes to editing lua scripts, but have not been able to get a hold of him. He has done some amazing things for DBC, so hopefully I will be able to ask him some advice of a few things. Fingers crossed he responds to my emails etc.
Will keep updating this post as things come to pass and hope to release something in the coming weeks.
Excellent work mate. I play it every now and then. Would be nice to see how these work n game.
(05-03-2019, 08:42 PM)Itchy Hram Wrote: Not sure how many are still playing 3, but fwiw, I have had some moderate success editing the Lua scripts which drive the games rules and mechanics. There is still a lot of work to be done but at the moment I have been able to do the following;

1) Field Markings can be reassigned and altered, so its now possible to have e.g the NRL field markings in the qld cup, so the next Winfield Cup Seasons update will have the proper top 5 format for seasons 87 to 94. You can also have the GF markings in regular season matches etc, for those who like having the team logos painted on the field.
2) All retro Jerseys which have a collar can now have the proper Heritage collar model which used to be limited to only 2 teams (Melb & Bris). Same for the v-neck
3) Sin Bins have been turned off for holding down the players in career. This was very annoying when the AI would often be reduced to 12 or even 11 men
4) Strips have been eradicated, although because they happen fairly infrequently, I am not sure if I will turn this off completely. 
5) Added the ability to choose 4 different types/colours of head strapping, so you can have e.g Paul Sironen with white strapping, Wayne Pearce with black and Benny Elias with green.
6) AI offload frequency has been increased. You can actually make the AI offload during every low tackle attempted, which means they draw and pass when making a break and/or coming to the fullback, which makes it almost impossible to defend against......but it is not very realistic and there are too many intercepts and loose passes getting turned over. Just increasing the frequency seems to be the better balance. Before it didn't really seem to matter whether you chose arm pin or low tackle, but now there is more strategy to it and you have to be careful what you select.
7) Significantly reduced the amount of ball spills and knock ons from offloads, esp in the wet. This was a bug in the wet games where practically every offload would go to ground or subsequently get knocked on. It will only happen now if you are really poor/late on the timing etc. 
8) Grubber strength and trajectory has been tweaked so the results are a little more varied and unpredictable
9) Chip Distance, height and trajectory has been tweaked so its possible to chip and chase and regather a little more...still not perfect, but I think its slightly better.
10) I was able to change the Player attribute groupings, so that the player stats would be more realistic and easier to change...but unfortunately, no matter what you change in the front end, it gets overridden by the game exe in game, so it looks like this will not work. There may be a way to prevent the override, but this may be difficult.

This is only scratching the surface, so I hope to be able to find out how to change other things like making forwards more effective in hitting up the ball, and increasing the chances of ball spills from Big Hit tackles etc. FrancoBaldo from Planetcricket is the real guru when it comes to editing lua scripts, but have not been able to get a hold of him. He has done some amazing things for DBC, so hopefully I will be able to ask him some advice of a few things. Fingers crossed he responds to my emails etc.
Will keep updating this post as things come to pass and hope to release something in the coming weeks.

This is music to my ears.

Any chance you will provide the updated LUA script?