Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Review
This is an awesome skill based game. I’ve been playing it for hours between amateur and pro difficulty but amateur more. Long rallies, short rallies. Just incredible once you get the hang of it. I’m enjoying it heaps. And there’s still more DLC and licensed players in store? Wow!

Gameplay is fantastic! It’s a lot about footing and power. I’m still learning shot selection but with Nadal vs Borg I won 7-6, 6-2, 6-3. In the beginning I was losing my service games because I was running all over the place instead of staying still. Often the AI wrong footed me but I found I had to try and be middle court to try and intercept passing shots.

Love the models and animations and courts.

Sound is a bit muffled maybe I have to tinker a bit. Correction - Just put on my headphones and sound is crystal clear so it’s my tv speakers I have to adjust on my tv. But the sound is awesome on headphones. Played another game a couple of the women and had quite a few long rallies. You’ve got to watch your legs and try and cover all passing shots. Pure fun.

For me, I give this a 9/10. Got it for $79 at Big W today. Very, very glad I didn’t listen to IGN & co  as this is a top quality tennis simulation. All I can guess is the reviewers are so hopeless at it they think it’s broken. I’m enjoying it heaps.
Glad someone else is enjoying it, I've had some great back and forth matches and those moments you save 5-6 break/set points feel like you've achieved something.

It all comes together when you stop running all over the place too.
"I'm not saying it's ugly but, that tackle clearly wouldn't get many valentines cards" - Eddie Hemmings '17
(01-24-2018, 07:14 AM)theaxe1606 Wrote: Glad someone else is enjoying it, I've had some great back and forth matches and those moments you save 5-6 break/set points feel like you've achieved something.

It all comes together when you stop running all over the place too.

Reviewers who give this game very low scores clearly are not mastering the game and think that it can’t be played when the real problem is their own poor skill level.

When you stop running all over the place you stop getting wrong footed by the AI, then it becomes a very enjoyable fun game.
(01-24-2018, 01:17 AM)Rooster Wrote: This is an awesome skill based game. I’ve been playing it for hours between amateur and pro difficulty but amateur more. Long rallies, short rallies. Just incredible once you get the hang of it. I’m enjoying it heaps. And there’s still more DLC and licensed players in store? Wow!

Gameplay is fantastic! It’s a lot about footing and power. I’m still learning shot selection but with Nadal vs Borg I won 7-6, 6-2, 6-3. In the beginning I was losing my service games because I was running all over the place instead of staying still. Often the AI wrong footed me but I found I had to try and be middle court to try and intercept passing shots.

Love the models and animations and courts.

Sound is a bit muffled maybe I have to tinker a bit. Correction - Just put on my headphones and sound is crystal clear so it’s my tv speakers I have to adjust on my tv. But the sound is awesome on headphones. Played another game a couple of the women and had quite a few long rallies. You’ve got to watch your legs and try and cover all passing shots. Pure fun.

For me, I give this a 9/10. Got it for $79 at Big W today. Very, very glad I didn’t listen to IGN & co  as this is a top quality tennis simulation. All I can guess is the reviewers are so hopeless at it they think it’s broken. I’m enjoying it heaps.

I played the game at the Aus Open and I have to say, it was very glitchy and the movement of the players were so clumsy. More often then not, the player wouldn't even swing for the ball when I pressed the button nice and early.
If my player doesn't swing it is accompanied by a red timing indicator, if my indicator is orange or better I always swing...no problems there.
"I'm not saying it's ugly but, that tackle clearly wouldn't get many valentines cards" - Eddie Hemmings '17
The game is nearly unplayable and not much fun at all at the moment. The no shot ball watch glitch completely ruins it at the moment. Happens way too often for my liking. I’m timing shots nice and early and even making harder shots that require you to run backwards on an angle but it’s always just a normal ball hit just to the right side that should be hit easily where the swing just doesn’t happen.
(01-24-2018, 01:17 AM)Rooster Wrote: For me, I give this a 9/10. Got it for $79 at Big W today. Very, very glad I didn’t listen to IGN & co  as this is a top quality tennis simulation. All I can guess is the reviewers are so hopeless at it they think it’s broken. I’m enjoying it heaps.

Nice try Ross.
(01-26-2018, 05:32 PM)KimmorleyKiller Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 01:17 AM)Rooster Wrote: For me, I give this a 9/10. Got it for $79 at Big W today. Very, very glad I didn’t listen to IGN & co  as this is a top quality tennis simulation. All I can guess is the reviewers are so hopeless at it they think it’s broken. I’m enjoying it heaps.

Nice try Ross.

Ha ha ha! Nice for him to take time out of his busy “this is the best game ever” schedule.

Shut up Robbie Farrah!
If you think AO Tennis is a "top quality tennis simulation" then I think you haven't played Top Spin 4 Wink
Well said and very very true.

I went back yesterday to Top Spin 4 on my 360 and it is still excellent.

Just cannot get used to the standing there and not playing a shot,
the weird momentum of the players,
the fact the AI player seems to move at super speed across the court but my player is standing in mud,
the weird way the ball DIES when playing a drop shot,
etc, etc, etc...