Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Your Suggestions!
Some minor notes/questions:

- love the deliberate rule, because there's a touch of insanity about it. But the advantage rule still needs some fine-tuning, as it occasionally pays some which should never be considered advantage. Since in AFL it's meant to be up to the player, perhaps something similar could be implemented, where the gameplayer hits the sprint modifer, or something like that, to take the advantage.

-- why sometimes when play is switched quickly (e.g. a long kick from the centre and into the forward line) will your player be running directly for the ball, or be standing directly under where the ball will drop, and then they inexplicably decide to double back, surrendering prime position?

-- why sometimes when you kick full power does it go 50-60 meters and then other occasions it goes only 25 or 30? For example, play on from a kick out, cover half the distance to the 50, kick it full power, and the kick lands just outside the 50? Other times, it hits the wing. Is it trying to target a teammate?
I would suggest to get some fans of the game in for alpha/beta testing. Possibly from this forum and the BigFooty Forums.
Get the guys that play the current game religiously, who are always voicing their opinions on the forums and trying to help make the game the best it can be.

Get them in as early in the process as you can, so things aren't already set in stone and can still be altered.

Get them to come in a couple of times, and for half a day to a day at a time, to really experience the game. You could get the greatest feedback from them, and really make the game awesome! I know you don't want information leaked (which could be an issue).... but find the ones you think you can trust, still get them to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement, and then utilise the feedback as best as possible.

There would be no shortage of volunteers, I'm sure. (I hereby volunteer myself if such a thing happened....hehe).
I also volunteer to test the game if needed. Smile
I think something else which should be considered is redefining some of the stats.

'Recovery' is one that I don't find realistic. You punch the ball, but because your recovery is 60 (or whatever), you just stand on the spot, whilst your opponent runs off, fetches the ball, and establishes the break. I don't know who has the worst recovery in AFL, but I can guarantee he wouldn't be standing around like that following a spoil. You should pretty much be on level pegging in that regard.

The marking, however, is something which can probably be broken down further into Contested Marking, Overhead Marking, Chest Marking -- or something to that affect. It's always bemusing when somebody who couldn't jump over a puddle takes a screamer.

If you wanted to get really adventurous, you could probably include kicking stats for both legs. That could introduce a new strategic element into the game if you knew you had an exclusively one-sided player -- e.g. Ben Johnson -- and were wrong-sided.
Some more suggestions:

More attention (and, admittedly, this is difficult) needs to be paid to the physics behind players and the way they move. Right now, you can't wrong foot an opponent. That means you can't navigate your way through traffic, the way -- say -- Pendlebury does. Players are always capable of a tackle, even if they're wrongsided. (Sometimes, players do seem to sidestep opponents, although that's rare.)

With the Player Editor, it's annoying that you cannot save out of a player if your edits have made your team go over the salary cap. This means you then have to go edit another player to make room, then come back to the existing player to make changes.

I would suggest allowing saving out of a player if you're over the salary cap, but then not being able to exit the Player (Team) Database screen from there until you bring the team back down under the salary cap. This would make editing much easier.

In Top Spin 4, there's like a Tennis Academy, where it teaches you how to execute various shots in training, etc. It gives you tasks to accomplish in each training set before you can move onto the next.

It would be good if AFL had a similar footy training where it taught you how to accomplish the basics of the game, e.g. rucking, marking, even passing, etc.
(11-17-2012, 10:49 AM)Spur Wrote: With the Player Editor, it's annoying that you cannot save out of a player if your edits have made your team go over the salary cap. This means you then have to go edit another player to make room, then come back to the existing player to make changes.

I would suggest allowing saving out of a player if you're over the salary cap, but then not being able to exit the Player (Team) Database screen from there until you bring the team back down under the salary cap. This would make editing much easier.
Just go to the player info and set his team to 'None'. He will then be delisted and you can still save what you have. Then you can go back to the player database, edit your team and fit him in.

(11-17-2012, 10:49 AM)Spur Wrote: In Top Spin 4, there's like a Tennis Academy, where it teaches you how to execute various shots in training, etc. It gives you tasks to accomplish in each training set before you can move onto the next.

It would be good if AFL had a similar footy training where it taught you how to accomplish the basics of the game, e.g. rucking, marking, even passing, etc.
Hell Yes!
I still have no idea when to time a mark. I know a lot comes down to stats and positioning....but I'd still like to know if I'm kinda doing it right in those scenarios.
Do you tap mark, do you hold it?
Do you press it early, or do you press it when you want to jump?
If you do that when editing the player, does that affect his number? If you delist somebody, and relist them, they'll then take the first vacant number. I updated my Collingwood side to accommodate list changes (Wellingham, Dawes, Tarrant out; Young, Russell, Lynch in, and Krakouer up from number 3 to number 7) and it takes a bit of shuffling to get them wearing the right numbers.

My cousin just holds the mark button. My friend, who's a good mark, generally taps it like a maniac. I've tried both techniques. I think my jostling and positioning sucks, but I'm unsure how to improve it.
(11-18-2012, 12:53 PM)Spur Wrote: If you do that when editing the player, does that affect his number? If you delist somebody, and relist them, they'll then take the first vacant number. I updated my Collingwood side to accommodate list changes (Wellingham, Dawes, Tarrant out; Young, Russell, Lynch in, and Krakouer up from number 3 to number 7) and it takes a bit of shuffling to get them wearing the right numbers.

My cousin just holds the mark button. My friend, who's a good mark, generally taps it like a maniac. I've tried both techniques. I think my jostling and positioning sucks, but I'm unsure how to improve it.
Player Numbers: Yeah, that sucks. You have to add them to the team in the order of their numbers. I created a whole bunch of poorly skilled players named 'TEST' and added them into the blank spots where I didn't have players with that number. Then at the end I removed all the 'TEST' players from my squad.

Marking: Yeah I think I've tried both techniques but still haven't figured it out. Played a guy online the other night that outmarked me ALL THE TIME, even when I was in front and trying to spoil. He did have a supercharged team though, so I suppose that counts.
I've done the same thing with the numbers, but it's a very cumbersome way to get the numbers right.

The same thing occurs to me when I play online. I'm routinely outmarked, so unless it's in my F50, I punch all the time, (but that's where Recovery can annoy, because your player pauses).

I'm sure the marking stat has a bit to do with it, but I also think the jostling plays its share. There's one game I played against a superior online opponent where for a half I was in the groove (or maybe he was out of it) and marked almost everything. Never been able to reproduce that form, tough. So don't know how much has to do with the combination of stats, jostling, position, and timing.
Out of curiosity, how pervasive is the momentum?

Played somebody online who I'd previously had tough matches again (but I'd never beaten).

In the first quarter, I kicked 5.5 to 0.1. I thought, 'How easy is this?' Everything was working and he barely touched the ball.

In the second quarter, he kicked 10 straight to nothing. I couldn't even touch the ball.

Now surely that's not a skill issue, of one of us being so much better than the other for each of those quarters. But it was just like everything went one way in one quarter, then the other in the next.