Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The end of BigAnt and rugby league games?
Speaking to one of the employee’s of one of the major EBgames here in Victoria.  I asked how the sales for RLL4 was going.  They told me it’s the highest returned game of 2017 now, with so many ppl returning it.. or using the 7 Day game trial that EB games offer  – When I asked, “do you know reason why?” I was told that the difficulty put a lot of people off, espec younger kids who’s mum or dad would have bought the game for them, finding it too hard.. and also just the fact that a lot of people just don’t seem to like it compared to RLL3. You know, lackluster graphics, stadiums, atmosphere, controls etc etc.

THIS CANNOT BE GOOD.

The people who post on these forums are hardcore rugby league fans who represent a small niche of the market, who will find out all the little intricacies about the game and will most likely love it no matter what… but for casual fans.. if they hate it. That’s it. Word of mouth spreads around saying how crap the game is and its finished. I doubt they will re-buy and play the game if a patch does come out in 3-6 months, because by then they are onto playing something else, don’t even know a patch has come out or don’t even care at all. –

I’m a bit scared that this could be it fellas.  If the sales for RLL4 bomb.. will tru blu even fund another game in the series?

The fact that RLL4 seems more like RLL3.5 than a full blown sequel, makes me feel that maybe the budget for this game was even lower than before.. and if that’s the case.. would tru blu even bother with another game.. or worse yet, the cost involved with getting a patch to fix the current problems past Sony and Microsoft.

I don’t know.  This could be the last one that big ant is involved in and I think that would suck, because I love league and would hate to see the games go the way of the dodo bird.
I have my fingers crossed that a patch does come out.. rectifie’s a lot of the problems… and that Big Ant does get another chance to make the greatest league game we all want. 

Is there some way to find out the sales numbers for RLL4?
First of all, i'm certain there will be a patch as there always has been one for this series even though it could well be at the back end of the year.

As far as the game goes, on the pitch it is more than playable imo, i am enjoying it and still playing it whenever i get the chance. There are annoying things that happen of course, the fall over the line animation try you can't stop, slightly over powered big hit especially on higher levels and lack of support play being at the front of the line of things i'd like to see worked on, but not game breakers. Side view controls being messed up is also annoying but i have adapted to end so not too much of a problem.

It's off the field for me that the game really frustrates and is shown up for lack of testing and some of the misses are glaring that should have been picked up if tested thoroughly. Player development and player wages being at the top of the list.

Fanhub is great, i love the stadium addition but the minefield of changing player stats and creating players causing effects of duplicate players in career mode is a problem.

At this stage i would still say the game is a big step up in many regards to RLL3..by this stage of RLL3 i had shelved the game till the patch but i will continue with this as i am finding the on field experience far more enjoyable. Really does a patch though to take the game to the next level. FWIW i give the game 7.5/10 as it is but if most of the issues above are sorted i could easily see this being an 8.5-9 /10 for many people.

like the OP i hope big ant stick with the series, they have come a long way since RLL1 nad it is so frustratingly close now to perfection for me on the field, just the amateur like testing before release lets the game down badly again.
I found it misleading when the ranking came out saying RLL4 was the highest selling Australian game because I knew it didn't take into account returns. I'm not surprised that there have been mass returns. Not only has the game been subpar but the way the release was handled was ridiculous with Tru Blu's statement about a day one patch. 

With that being said, I would be disappointed if Big Ant didn't make another rugby league game. I loved RLL2 and 3 and believe they can get back to those standards with another release.
The game went back to #2 in week 2 and crash bandicoot went back to #1.
The problem with this game as someone once said is the lack of "how to play the game". They had to release tutorials online because they failed miserably in telling us how to play the game out of the box. This is casual gaming terrorism. Casuals don't follow the game online and don't see the tutorials. Also they keep giving us something new and improved on 1 hand and taking something away with the other hand. This infuriates the niche hardcore on this forum. I feel they are finally on the right track but they keep reinventing the wheel. DBC17 had similar backlash. This create your own stadium fan hub stuff has serious bugs. Duplicate players were a legacy of the academy on DBC17 and they repeated the same mistake in this. The game is 6months away from the finished product and so was DBC17 after release. It's frustrating. If anyone else got the gig we are back to square 1 and we certainly can't have wicked witch touch it. Just gotto hope they listen to us
X1: Kulch
PSN: akulch
Steam: Kulch
I agree with Ak47 but i have not played RLL4 yet waiting on PC still...But with DBC17 was a HUGE turn around from what the most perfect cricket game was DBC14..... I play DBC14 more than 17 so that say's alot.
They need Beta test...Hell i'd play to Beta test if they wanted it more hand's more eye's more bugs done
up up cronulla
(08-18-2017, 03:32 AM)ET1980 Wrote: I agree with Ak47 but i have not played RLL4 yet waiting on PC still...But with DBC17 was a HUGE turn around from what the most perfect cricket game was DBC14..... I play DBC14 more than 17 so that say's alot.
They need Beta test...Hell i'd play to Beta test if they wanted it more hand's more eye's more bugs done

Even am disappointed with DBC17, havent go RLL4 yet. After reading these reviews I feel I saved some money.

DBC14 was a big step in cricket gaming, where one can play as a player raising through the ranks to play for the nation But DBC 17 was a big step backward (in terms of career mode- stats bug,fielding bugs, overthrows).

I agree with you, BA needs a good beta testing team as well a good forum representative. At the moment Forum seems to be for the public to chat/express or fume their feeling about the game and more about their shortcoming, BA has not stepped in to make it interactive as it is supposed to be between consumers and developers.

May be BA is feeling the guilt of releasing games which dint please their customers as they liked ? Are they waiting for the customers to forget and move on ?
Why do all big ant games need patches to fix them? It seems they release unfinished games. It makes you wonder who tests there games
Ross has been very quiet recently. Dissapointing outcome for RLL4. I agree it's too hard out of the box and not everyone can put 15 hours in just to learn how to play.

Wish I'd returned mine in time
(08-18-2017, 08:33 PM)Eddie Wrote: Ross has been very quiet recently. Dissapointing outcome for RLL4. I agree it's too hard out of the box and not everyone can put 15 hours in just to learn how to play.

Wish I'd returned mine in time

He seemed so confident...

"I will attempt to get some play sessions and the like, I really want people to see this game, it's far beyond what we have done to date and easily the best sports game made in Australia to date."

Far beyond what we have done, jesussss.
i am anxiously waiting for it to be released on steam for PC, so i cant comment on the game just yet, or if PC will be/is different to console versions, but ,its true, the casual 'pick up and play' gamers need to be able to do just that, start a game, grasp the controls quickly and play away. it can make or break the popularity of the game. its how most people will play it and how to grow a game quickly.
maybe next game/patch has a 'arcade' mode for them with simple controls and gameplay and a 'simulation' mode for the hardcore players who use every tactic available and play it like a rugby league game?
but then again i would hate to think that 'the game being too hard' is a valid reason that the game series gets discontinued.
however, games getting patches upon release is not new, and rolling updates doesnt mean the game is bad, it means the team behind it want to make it as best as possible and are putting in work to get it to its best.
and im not sure what the stats are on pc vs console numbers but once its released on PC, the team might then be able to concentrate on patches, fixes, new modes etc
also, maybe hire an intern to answer some questinon like: 'when is it out on PC'? hint hint