Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Career mode near unplayable
Hey Big Ant crew,

Amazing game. Learning more each time I play. And some of the set plays and kick tries I've been pulling off: just wow. So satisfying, so thank you.

But... I've been having some HUGE career mode issues. I'm into my third year with the Bulldogs as coach. Before I go on, yes I have edited players in the fan hub by changing attributes etc before starting career.

Anyway. I've started seeing so many double ups for different teams. I even have two Moses Mbye's in my squad. I also have a huge amount of random players who are 80+ appearing in my squad.

Today I noticed I had Luke Kelly and Kane Linnett randomly appear in my roster 7 rounds in. A week later and more randoms have come in, some rated in their 70s and 80s.

Come off contract time and there are multiple top players. One Jonathan Thurston was rated 98 overall and was playing for an ISP team. And the pricing is very confusing. I had my back up hooker, an 88 rated player, asking for $759,000 to be re-signed whereas Aaron Woods, rated at 91, was asking $380,000 and Michael Lichaa, rated 90, asking similar to Woods.

I hope a patch is in the works to revitalise career mode. It's great fun taking control of your team and signing/re-signing players, but it needs a huge fix.

Thanks!
I can't even start a career with fan hub changes enabled. Stupid levels of infuriating
(08-02-2017, 11:46 PM)Matt BnW Wrote: Hey Big Ant crew,

Amazing game. Learning more each time I play. And some of the set plays and kick tries I've been pulling off: just wow. So satisfying, so thank you.

But... I've been having some HUGE career mode issues. I'm into my third year with the Bulldogs as coach. Before I go on, yes I have edited players in the fan hub by changing attributes etc before starting career.

Anyway. I've started seeing so many double ups for different teams. I even have two Moses Mbye's in my squad. I also have a huge amount of random players who are 80+ appearing in my squad.

Today I noticed I had Luke Kelly and Kane Linnett randomly appear in my roster 7 rounds in. A week later and more randoms have come in, some rated in their 70s and 80s.

Come off contract time and there are multiple top players. One Jonathan Thurston was rated 98 overall and was playing for an ISP team. And the pricing is very confusing. I had my back up hooker, an 88 rated player, asking for $759,000 to be re-signed whereas Aaron Woods, rated at 91, was asking $380,000 and Michael Lichaa, rated 90, asking similar to Woods.

I hope a patch is in the works to revitalise career mode. It's great fun taking control of your team and signing/re-signing players, but it needs a huge fix.

Thanks!

Hey Matt,

Thanks for noting these issues - we'll pass them around the team to look at what might be causing them.
The duplicate player thing is a legacy of BAs fanhub/cricket academy. Some of us that have DBC17 are revisiting the same issues with RLL4.
Career modes biggest problems are the pricing and progression. Everyone's 95+ after a couple of seasons thus we are playing into a dystopian world where everyone is a clone. The same exact players being 99 across many stat's. This creates a sterile feeling and immediately crushes longevity and encourages a reboot of career and only play up to season 5 before everyone morphs into the same athlete.
X1: Kulch
PSN: akulch
Steam: Kulch
(08-03-2017, 10:07 AM)ak47 Wrote: The duplicate player thing is a legacy of BAs fanhub/cricket academy. Some of us that have DBC17 are revisiting the same issues with RLL4.
Career modes biggest problems are the pricing and progression. Everyone's 95+ after a couple of seasons thus we are playing into a dystopian world where everyone is a clone. The same exact players being 99 across many stat's. This creates a sterile feeling and immediately crushes longevity and encourages a reboot of career and only play up to season 5 before everyone morphs into the same athlete.

I haven't finished my first season of BAP yet but, that sounds crap.
"I'm not saying it's ugly but, that tackle clearly wouldn't get many valentines cards" - Eddie Hemmings '17
Career mode and BAP are severely lacking this year. Aside from the issues listed here (which are big issues), the fact there has been no significant additions makes it very stale after a short period of time. I played multiple 10+ year careers in both RLL2 and RLL3, but this time around it just seems like I'm going through the motions since there is no major difference, and added to that the issues listed above make it frustrating. I played 2.5 seasons, and then simmed a few years because I got bored. I'm returning it today because I have lost any real interest in the game. That really disappoints to me, because I was still playing RLL2 the day before RLL3 came out, and I was still playing RLL3 the day before RLL4 came out.

In BAP I want it to be a big deal when my player finally makes his NRL/ESL debut. I want it to be a big deal when they make their International or SOO debut. By this I mean the game should indicate in some way that you have reached this goal. There should be a news story, or an email, or a cut scene with a jersey presentation. Something to signify we have reached a significant goal in the game. We should be able to see more detailed statistics. FIFA gives you a year by year summation of the player's career - what team they played for that year, how many goals they scored, how many games they played. There needs to be better indicators of how your player is doing. A game-day grading system, similar to what has been a stable of any FIFA/NBA games for years. We should be able to negotiate contract offers (more years, more pay). There should also be training so we can improve our attributes outside of in-game increases. Things like passing drills (Freddy's Pass Off), or goal kicking shoot-outs would be fun ways to both increase the player's attribute and increase our skill in the game. We had drills as a mode in RLL3, why did they have to remove it. It would be great if there was a Hall of Fame, or record books - similar to what Madden has done - so we have goals we can look to attain throughout our careers. Things like most games played, most career tries, most SOO appearances, etc.

In career (as coach), we should have club KPIs we need to hit - ticket prices, attendance, etc. We should be able to sign and release players mid-season/contract. We should have greater control over our game-day 17 by naming a squad of 21 and trimming it back, just like real life. We should also have greater control of our feeder clubs, like having the option to choose the 17 and see how a player performs in a certain position. At the end of the year we should get offers from rivals clubs and leagues, or get demotions if we perform badly. We should also have more detailed stats, similar to BAP, that shows how we have performed as a coach each year. We could also have an option to relocate a team mid-career if that team is performing poorly, both on field and in attendance, membership.

Most of these aren't new ideas, and, disappointingly, a lot of these were mentioned when RLL2 AND RLL3 came out, yet we are still waiting for them. I have said it before, and I'll say it again, because people love the EA/2K comparison - FIFA/Madden/NBA have had these as part of their career modes for 10+ years now, so it is not ground-breaking stuff. They are essentially fundamentals of any sports game now (even iOS sports games with a career mode have some of them). I am no longer buying the "Big Ant are a small game studio, they can't compete with EA". I am paying $80 for RLL, just as I am FIFA, I expect a certain level of quality and content.

It's already been said by many people that they focused heavily on gameplay this time around, but while I understand career mode isn't a big deal to some people, for others it is the mode they play the most, so without any new additions this game doesn't offer a lot of replay value, or reason to keep it.

I am hoping that some of these issues will be resolved in a future patch, and then I will look at buying the game again.
I won't be returning the game but, I agree with much of what you have said JohnCasey. I will still cut BA a bit of slack for being a smaller studio and because I am assuming (key word) they may have wanted some of these features but were not approved by Tru Blu, either for funding or the NRL licence not allowing them reasons. If it was a "ran out of time" scenario then I would be a bit more annoyed as this could be resolved by not starting from the ground up everytime.

I'm in a position right now just because of the feedback on here that I may end up going back to 3 if there isn't a substantial patch for these career mode issues.
"I'm not saying it's ugly but, that tackle clearly wouldn't get many valentines cards" - Eddie Hemmings '17
Completely agree and a great post. Madden 2004 had a deeper career mode on ps2. So not buying the small budget stuff 13yrs later technology should consume the costs.
X1: Kulch
PSN: akulch
Steam: Kulch
(08-03-2017, 11:16 AM)theaxe1606 Wrote: I won't be returning the game but, I agree with much of what you have said JohnCasey. I will still cut BA a bit of slack for being a smaller studio and because I am assuming (key word) they may have wanted some of these features but were not approved by Tru Blu, either for funding or the NRL licence not allowing them reasons. If it was a "ran out of time" scenario then I would be a bit more annoyed as this could be resolved by not starting from the ground up everytime.

I'm in a position right now just because of the feedback on here that I may end up going back to 3 if there isn't a substantial patch for these career mode issues.

I'm happy to place blame with either Tru Blu or Big Ant, that doesn't really matter to me. The way I see it, together, they aren't producing a game that warrants me paying $80 right now. I totally get that other people are happy with the game. I think that's great, in fact. But I think 4 iterations into a series we should be expecting more from one of the primary modes in any sports game. I have given them the benefit of the doubt for many years now, but unfortunately, I am losing a lot of my faith in them (Tru Blu and Big Ant).

** In addition, I think a lot of the frustration I have (and I assume other people do too) could be resolved if Tru Blu or Big Ant came out and said "we hear you on these issues and these are the reasons we are yet to implement them". Instead we hear nothing, and it's easy to feel ignored. I would understand this if we were asking for some abstract, never before seen feature, but (and I say with as much emphasis as I can) a lot of these are fundamental things that we have seen implemented by other games for many years.
I agree it's broken.

I would rather have every player's attributes locked down for the entire career than what it is now where everyone improves dramatically after the first year.