Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Features to take the RLL series to the next level (ideas for RLL5)
So I've been looking at these videos a fair bit and it's struck me that the common complaints about forward momentum that ultimately limit how real the game feels is down to one simple issue: control. RLL4 looks great, but from all I've seen this fundamental problem with the game hasn't been addressed. You still just go into the tackle with your forwards and it executes an animation that takes away your control of the player, and that ultimately limits the effectiveness of forward play.

So what needs to be done?

It'd say it's simple even though from a programming standpoint I'm sure it's not, but in short the tackling system needs to be completely revamped to allow for a player to keep moving the player when a tackler goes for a higher tackle. 

The way it would work would involve risk and reward by operating in the following way:

- tackle chest level: means offloading ability is limited, but if a stronger ball carrying forward is running at a weaker/tired player it should effectively turn into a mini game where you can button mash to either break through or free his arm to get an offload (which would be quick time events and carry the risk of a knock on). Whilst this is happening, the defence should be able to call in support players to assist to bring the player down with buttons that either

- Aggressive tackle: This is like what happens now, but the tackler would press this early to rush in for a big hit, which would open up the risk of being stepped.

- tackle legs: stops forward momentum, but is easier to step and also easy to offload from.

Gang tackle: this one strikes me as one of the hard things to program, but I think defensively you ought to be able to select  two players at the same time and have them hone in on a player to tackle. Selecting them would necessarily bring the secondary player in to run side by side with the first player selected, and would create a strong risk/reward by ensuring that if you tackle successfully they are less likely to make yards (unless say, you have two tired backs up against a fresh forward), but also risking that if they get a pass away there's now a hole in the defence.

One final issue that would then need to be addressed is the play-the-ball. As part of the forward play, there needs to be more variation and control over play the balls. At the moment there's only one real thing you can do, and that's button mash to get the player up, but for the game to really feel like footy there needs to be options for how you play the ball and the player shouldn't actually play the ball unless prompted (which in turn would open up the risk of being penalised for time wasting if you don't, but also would mean you could slow down if you were ahead by a point and wanted to wind down the clock). I suggest the following that could each be assigned a button:

- normal: basically what happens now - a normal speed, no risk play-the-ball.

- fast: play gets up quickly and rushes the the play-the-ball, risking a potentially knock on in the process (this should be a low risk that heightens in wet weather and with tired players)

- challenge: this is a play the ball that happens in the wrestle. Essentially this could be a button you push in a wrestle situation when the ref calls "held" where the play quickly plays the ball whilst standing and before the tacklers are on side. It could operate as a quick time event as soon as the ref calls held and the risk would be a knock-on.

So there you have it - that's my recipe for bringing real forward play into RLL.

I don't mean to jump the gun on RLL4, as it still looks like a lot of fun, but to me the problem with these games to date has been that there's not been any real contest in the tackle in any meaningful sense; it's always just been an automatic animation that the player has only limited input into, and given how important forward momentum is in Rugby League, I think this is something that really needs to be addressed.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts (particularly BA people if you are free to comment).
Too soon bro.

Gotta give us a chance to play RLL4 first and see for ourselves what has been improved and what hasn't, then we can go from there.
(07-16-2017, 01:26 PM)sanzar Wrote: So I've been looking at these videos a fair bit and it's struck me that the common complaints about forward momentum that ultimately limit how real the game feels is down to one simple issue: control. RLL4 looks great, but from all I've seen this fundamental problem with the game hasn't been addressed. You still just go into the tackle with your forwards and it executes an animation that takes away your control of the player, and that ultimately limits the effectiveness of forward play.

So what needs to be done?

It'd say it's simple even though from a programming standpoint I'm sure it's not, but in short the tackling system needs to be completely revamped to allow for a player to keep moving the player when a tackler goes for a higher tackle. 

The way it would work would involve risk and reward by operating in the following way:

- tackle chest level: means offloading ability is limited, but if a stronger ball carrying forward is running at a weaker/tired player it should effectively turn into a mini game where you can button mash to either break through or free his arm to get an offload (which would be quick time events and carry the risk of a knock on). Whilst this is happening, the defence should be able to call in support players to assist to bring the player down with buttons that either

- Aggressive tackle: This is like what happens now, but the tackler would press this early to rush in for a big hit, which would open up the risk of being stepped.

- tackle legs: stops forward momentum, but is easier to step and also easy to offload from.

Gang tackle: this one strikes me as one of the hard things to program, but I think defensively you ought to be able to select  two players at the same time and have them hone in on a player to tackle. Selecting them would necessarily bring the secondary player in to run side by side with the first player selected, and would create a strong risk/reward by ensuring that if you tackle successfully they are less likely to make yards (unless say, you have two tired backs up against a fresh forward), but also risking that if they get a pass away there's now a hole in the defence.

One final issue that would then need to be addressed is the play-the-ball. As part of the forward play, there needs to be more variation and control over play the balls. At the moment there's only one real thing you can do, and that's button mash to get the player up, but for the game to really feel like footy there needs to be options for how you play the ball and the player shouldn't actually play the ball unless prompted (which in turn would open up the risk of being penalised for time wasting if you don't, but also would mean you could slow down if you were ahead by a point and wanted to wind down the clock). I suggest the following that could each be assigned a button:

- normal: basically what happens now - a normal speed, no risk play-the-ball.

- fast: play gets up quickly and rushes the the play-the-ball, risking a potentially knock on in the process (this should be a low risk that heightens in wet weather and with tired players)

- challenge: this is a play the ball that happens in the wrestle. Essentially this could be a button you push in a wrestle situation when the ref calls "held" where the play quickly plays the ball whilst standing and before the tacklers are on side. It could operate as a quick time event as soon as the ref calls held and the risk would be a knock-on.

So there you have it - that's my recipe for bringing real forward play into RLL.

I don't mean to jump the gun on RLL4, as it still looks like a lot of fun, but to me the problem with these games to date has been that there's not been any real contest in the tackle in any meaningful sense; it's always just been an automatic animation that the player has only limited input into, and given how important forward momentum is in Rugby League, I think this is something that really needs to be addressed.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts (particularly BA people if you are free to comment).

I really think your on to something here man
Maybe they can work on a few off those and make a patch.... That would be awesome Smile
ESL licencing so Super League players can be face scanned.

Story Mode
(07-16-2017, 01:32 PM)Radman Wrote: Too soon bro.

Gotta give us a chance to play RLL4 first and see for ourselves what has been improved and what hasn't, then we can go from there.

Yeah I get all that, but the footage alone confirms this element of the game hasn't been addressed. People keep bringing up all kinds of superficial stuff about the game, but that stuff doesn't make any difference unless the game feels like a game of footy to begin with.
None of the gameplay features we now have to use have been shown working at their best in any of those 2 videos.

Player vs player is where the game will shine best imo and we are not going to get quality realistic looking gameplay showing the new mechanics working until this happens.
I really like these ideas. Adding to forward momentum they should make it so when a forward is driving forward they don't stop making metres until a few more defenders join in and stop his movement
lmao.
Looked like that happened in the trailer when Fifita went over...James Graham came in late to take the legs but it was too late.
I can't believe we haven't seen any gameplay footage of RLL5 and we are only 105 weeks out from release.
Great ideas cobber