Herbert Henry "Dally" Messenger
Apparently the 80m kick happened
Anyway here is a kick from 80s Wales rugby going atleast 65m
https://youtu.be/dTtTbcfwCMA
X1: Kulch
PSN: akulch
Steam: Kulch
(07-06-2017, 05:12 PM)Luke Wrote:
(07-06-2017, 01:51 PM)Steeler Wrote: Dally Messenger is known to have kicked several goals from over 75 yards away from the posts. One was over 80 yards away from near the sideline on his own 25 yard-line.

I'm gonna call bullshit on that part.

They took place in front of stadiums full of people in England and the 80 yard kick was even officially recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records. 

(07-06-2017, 05:33 PM)drewey Wrote: All these people saying Cameron Smith is the greatest? I will admit he is good. But the greatest? Joey Johns and JT are miles ahead of Smith. If Smith was so great he'd have a handful of Dally Ms. But he doesn't. If we were talking flirting with the rules or wrestling he'd be number 1

Yeah, Cameron Smith isn't even the best playing today, let alone the best of all time.
How can you say someone is the best when they haven't played in over 100 years!!
(07-06-2017, 06:00 PM)Steeler Wrote:
(07-06-2017, 05:12 PM)Luke Wrote:
(07-06-2017, 01:51 PM)Steeler Wrote: Dally Messenger is known to have kicked several goals from over 75 yards away from the posts. One was over 80 yards away from near the sideline on his own 25 yard-line.

I'm gonna call bullshit on that part.

They took place in front of stadiums full of people in England and the 80 yard kick was even officially recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records. 

(07-06-2017, 05:33 PM)drewey Wrote: All these people saying Cameron Smith is the greatest? I will admit he is good. But the greatest? Joey Johns and JT are miles ahead of Smith. If Smith was so great he'd have a handful of Dally Ms. But he doesn't. If we were talking flirting with the rules or wrestling he'd be number 1

Yeah, Cameron Smith isn't even the best playing today, let alone the best of all time.

Can you compare people that play different positions. He plays 80mins in the hardest position to play on the field. He goal kicks, general play kicks and is great at controlling the game. Plus makes 50+ tackles. Captains his Club, State and Country he is the greatest player in the game (2017)  Imo. Dally M's also hard to win when you have two world class players in Cronk and Slater competing for the 3, 2, 1 each week. #GOAT17
(07-06-2017, 07:15 PM)Aastill Wrote: How can you say someone is the best when they haven't played in over 100 years!!

Sir Don Bradman hasn't played in almost 70 years, but nobody with any credibility would even dare to suggest that he isn't the best there ever was.

(07-06-2017, 07:21 PM)pure_brad Wrote: Can you compare people that play different positions. He plays 80mins in the hardest position to play on the field. He goal kicks, general play kicks and is great at controlling the game. Plus makes 50+ tackles. Captains his Club, State and Country he is the greatest player in the game (2017)  Imo. Dally M's also hard to win when you have two world class players in Cronk and Slater competing for the 3, 2, 1 each week. #GOAT17

Thurston is better than Smith, but neither are the greatest of all time and I firmly believe that both of them would tell you that themselves.
I don't think you can say that someone from a 100 years ago is the best player ever, you can say he's the best player from that time but not ever. He wouldn't stand a chance in the modern game
Not as a centre, but in the modern game he'd probably be the world's best halfback. He'd still be easily the best goalkicker.
I just don't agree with you. I think even the best players from the 70's and 80's would struggle with the pace and the skill of the game now never mind someone from 100 years ago. Look at super league for an example, I'd say super league is about 5 years behind the NRL and even our best players go over there and struggle
^^astill speaks the truth.
(07-07-2017, 12:50 AM)Yuna Wrote: ^^astill speaks the truth.

Thanks pal!