Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final Feedback/Review (long)
Hey everyone,

this is my final review & feedback for Lacrosse 16. This specifically goes out to the devs/publisher as well as to potential gamers because there aren't many reviews out there. I'll post this in a few places so maybe they'll see it. Powell Lacrosse 16 released March 1st and recently had a "major" gameplay patch (1.05) July 15th.

I wasn't a crowdfunding supporter for this but I might as well have been one. I missed the window but frequently checked for updates of any sorts. It reached $165,132 (210% of its targeted budget) and therefore was greenlighted. The crowdfunding ended July 25th 2014. Now I understand that it is normal for a small studio to underestimate certain parts of the development process and I'm all for taking your time if it benefits the game in terms of quality BUT the communication by the devs was really poor. Honestly if I had backed this I would probably been worried about my money. There were little to none news on progress, possible release dates or even footage. When the game released ~10 months late it was announced two weeks earlier without any press, gameplay footage or reviews. Their facebook site looks like a lacrosse themed lad bible. Now I understand that they target a certain demographic and want to keep growing for the sake of growth but at least answer if your potential costumers proactively try to reach out to you.

I bought this game for 44,99€ (first week) in the PS Store. IMO this was a hefty price to start with but in your/our niche very few people would back away so well done.

The menus are designed modernly with huge squares and an overall logic build. You have generic music (5 songs) like in Rocket League and a pretty solid choice of settings. Like with many digital games my PS4 fan goes absolutly berserk in the menus...they might want to cap that framerate. It's one of those things where the game still lacks fine-tuning.

In career mode you have the opportunity to either play as an existing player, a created player starting at college, or as a coach. As a player you have to achieve certain objectives to become better - kind of 101 career mode stuff. The exception is that a few of those objectives are ridiculous or impossible while others are very easy. I once had "hit the post 14 times in a match"... I mean wat. You have the some ones in casual matches and as a coach but you may just ignore them...in career mode they're crucial. Other flawed ones are "groundballs" which are not triggered by groundballs but rather by won face offs, and save percentage which I have yet to achieve at all.

As a coach you are allowed to make trades and participate in drafts. I always found that dull and uneventfull. The whole management aspect of the game was not really its strong suit and is even more undermined by the lack of licenses for real leagues, teams, and players. To be fair to the devs, they made some pretty great replacements but at no point in my hours of gameplay did I get the "I'm building a dynasty" vibe that made me continue in NHL for 25 years.

Smooth transition: XP and trophies/achievements. Both should be used to encourage players to get the most out of a game. This wasn't done very well in this game. The XP mean literally nothing and are randomly set back. I'm sixth in the PS4 ranking for Experience and have nothing to show for it. Why not give us certain arenas, jerseys, helmets, sticks, etc. to unlock? Maybe even throw in a yellow ball or a neon coloured mesh? The trophies are better but partially they don't unlock which gives you the kind of "welp" feeling.

Which brings me to the academy. It is a great feature and neatly implemented. I spent hours recreating my own team, trying to get the faces, accessoires, and ratings just right. As much of an upside this is: the community part is pretty much a hot mess. When I tried to share my creations none of them popped up. Actually there are only 33 teams in the whole academy...that doesn't seem right. The patch then messed up my team so my hours of eagerly creating seem to be void. It is still there but I cannot access it via Academy OR in casual games, only in competition mode. Weird.

Going on with the big one: gameplay. I was really pleasantly surprised how good the gameplay is. The graphics are good, the controls are really good and there is no major flaw/bug/exploit which ruins the whole experience. If you get frustrated because your goalie is shit or your defender didn't swat down that loop pass...well that happens in a real lacrosse game. I didn't really have many moments of "that was CLEARLY not what I meant" except maybe for the diving shoots. If I compare that with FIFA it is a huge accomplishment. There are however still many things to improve: in offense there's a lack of basic team moves. The only option you have is switching between formations and use that as a play BUT there really should be more. Apart from that and the formerly mentioned diving shoot - fine work.
What's up with the force field around the crease? I should be able to run in there if I'm an idiot. You also shouldn't be able to pass to the goalie 5 times into the crease. Let me not-chase the ball if it's about to go out of bounce.
In defense you have 5 five types of stick checks which are obviously too many especially considering how two of them are pretty much useless (kayak/rusty). Bring in "Sticks up" and "slide" and it instantly becomes more dynamic. There should also be more focus on special teams. A slashing penalty for poke spammers would be welcome. Also why doesn't the CPU get an offside call when they clearly are? It's small stuff like that that still sets it apart from the big budget titles. Apart from that it is a real nice game to play and even works well on multiplayer.

Which is exactly the last point I want to make: the multiplayer scene/community was pretty much dead on arrival. I don't know how many copies were sold on PS4...just shooting in the dark I would guess still less than 10.000 after the recent sale and the people are not really engaged. You can spend hours searching for an opponent online, especially as a European. There is no central contact point or forum where people could share their experience or simply talk about the game. I started adding random players just to get some action but I also feel like the devs could do more to stimulate their players. It really arches back to what I said about the lack of communication. Why not organize a tournament ever two weeks, why not throw a download code for one of your mobile games in for good measure? Maybe cooperate with ESL? Use your newsletter or an ingame popup to promote the whole thing.

CPL16 is a good game, the best lacrosse game of all times without a shadow of doubt. It's currently only 19,99€ which IMO is a steal for any fan of the sport. The devs still have some fine-tuning to make, should embrace their community better and I'm positive that we will have a hit on our hand as soon as they return with their next 3D simulation. I'm obviously very passionate about it and hope that my voice is heard and maybe some of my points are considered when the time comes. Until then...cheers.
iWatern2Hey everyone,

this is my final review & feedback for Lacrosse 16. This specifically goes out to the devs/publisher as well as to potential gamers because there aren't many reviews out there. I'll post this in a few places so maybe they'll see it. Powell Lacrosse 16 released March 1st and recently had a "major" gameplay patch (1.05) July 15th.

I wasn't a crowdfunding supporter for this but I might as well have been one. I missed the window but frequently checked for updates of any sorts. It reached $165,132 (210% of its targeted budget) and therefore was greenlighted. The crowdfunding ended July 25th 2014. Now I understand that it is normal for a small studio to underestimate certain parts of the development process and I'm all for taking your time if it benefits the game in terms of quality BUT the communication by the devs was really poor. Honestly if I had backed this I would probably been worried about my money. There were little to none news on progress, possible release dates or even footage. When the game released ~10 months late it was announced two weeks earlier without any press, gameplay footage or reviews. Their facebook site looks like a lacrosse themed lad bible. Now I understand that they target a certain demographic and want to keep growing for the sake of growth but at least answer if your potential costumers proactively try to reach out to you.

I bought this game for 44,99€ (first week) in the PS Store. IMO this was a hefty price to start with but in your/our niche very few people would back away so well done.

The menus are designed modernly with huge squares and an overall logic build. You have generic music (5 songs) like in Rocket League and a pretty solid choice of settings. Like with many digital games my PS4 fan goes absolutly berserk in the menus...they might want to cap that framerate. It's one of those things where the game still lacks fine-tuning.

In career mode you have the opportunity to either play as an existing player, a created player starting at college, or as a coach. As a player you have to achieve certain objectives to become better - kind of 101 career mode stuff. The exception is that a few of those objectives are ridiculous or impossible while others are very easy. I once had "hit the post 14 times in a match"... I mean wat. You have the some ones in casual matches and as a coach but you may just ignore them...in career mode they're crucial. Other flawed ones are "groundballs" which are not triggered by groundballs but rather by won face offs, and save percentage which I have yet to achieve at all.

As a coach you are allowed to make trades and participate in drafts. I always found that dull and uneventfull. The whole management aspect of the game was not really its strong suit and is even more undermined by the lack of licenses for real leagues, teams, and players. To be fair to the devs, they made some pretty great replacements but at no point in my hours of gameplay did I get the "I'm building a dynasty" vibe that made me continue in NHL for 25 years.

Smooth transition: XP and trophies/achievements. Both should be used to encourage players to get the most out of a game. This wasn't done very well in this game. The XP mean literally nothing and are randomly set back. I'm sixth in the PS4 ranking for Experience and have nothing to show for it. Why not give us certain arenas, jerseys, helmets, sticks, etc. to unlock? Maybe even throw in a yellow ball or a neon coloured mesh? The trophies are better but partially they don't unlock which gives you the kind of "welp" feeling.

Which brings me to the academy. It is a great feature and neatly implemented. I spent hours recreating my own team, trying to get the faces, accessoires, and ratings just right. As much of an upside this is: the community part is pretty much a hot mess. When I tried to share my creations none of them popped up. Actually there are only 33 teams in the whole academy...that doesn't seem right. The patch then messed up my team so my hours of eagerly  creating seem to be void. It is still there but I cannot access it via Academy OR in casual games, only in competition mode. Weird.

Going on with the big one: gameplay. I was really pleasantly surprised how good the gameplay is. The graphics are good, the controls are really good and there is no major flaw/bug/exploit which ruins the whole experience. If you get frustrated because your goalie is shit or your defender didn't swat down that loop pass...well that happens in a real lacrosse game. I didn't really have many moments of "that was CLEARLY not what I meant" except maybe for the diving shoots. If I compare that with FIFA it is a huge accomplishment. There are however still many things to improve: in offense there's a lack of basic team moves. The only option you have is switching between formations and use that as a play BUT there really should be more. Apart from that and the formerly mentioned diving shoot - fine work.
What's up with the force field around the crease? I should be able to run in there if I'm an idiot. You also shouldn't be able to pass to the goalie 5 times into the crease. Let me not-chase the ball if it's about to go out of bounce.
In defense you have 5 five types of stick checks which are obviously too many especially considering how two of them are pretty much useless (kayak/rusty). Bring in "Sticks up" and "slide" and it instantly becomes more dynamic. There should also be more focus on special teams. A slashing penalty for poke spammers would be welcome. Also why doesn't the CPU get an offside call when they clearly are? It's small stuff like that that still sets it apart from the big budget titles. Apart from that it is a real nice game to play and even works well on multiplayer.

Which is exactly the last point I want to make: the multiplayer scene/community was pretty much dead on arrival. I don't know how many copies were sold on PS4...just shooting in the dark I would guess still less than 10.000 after the recent sale and the people are not really engaged. You can spend hours searching for an opponent online, especially as a European. There is no central contact point or forum where people could share their experience or simply talk about the game. I started adding random players just to get some action but I also feel like the devs could do more to stimulate their players. It really arches back to what I said about the lack of communication. Why not organize a tournament ever two weeks, why not throw a download code for one of your mobile games in for good measure? Maybe cooperate with ESL? Use your newsletter or an ingame popup to promote the whole thing.

CPL16 is a good game, the best lacrosse game of all times without a shadow of doubt. It's currently only 19,99€ which IMO is a steal for any fan of the sport. The devs still have some fine-tuning to make, should embrace their community better and I'm positive that we will have a hit on our hand as soon as they return with their next 3D simulation. I'm obviously very passionate about it and hope that my voice is heard and maybe some of my points are considered when the time comes. Until then...cheers.

i read all that lol right on point sucks i'm stuck at 97% tho i'm from Canada so this game is so so here but i loved it and i love all sport games got few of my friends into it and got more trophy hunters who want the game but are waiting for patch i did fine communication lacking thus the reason they didn't hit north American as strong with the sales i would like to say i would buy the next copy but im iffy on it wasting all that time for a platinum to end it with a 97% on a easy trophy Sad as going to by ruby as well but heard there are alot of problems on that as well wish big ant the best and love the type of sport games they cover