Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Update!
So the Kickstarter failed and a lot of us knew it a couple days ago. Big Ant made a post a few hours ago on their facebook page that says the following.

We would like to thank everybody who has show support for the dirt track racing crowdfunding campaign here on kickstarter.

Although making the game directly for the fans was our go to strategy, we are now pursuing more traditional sources of funding to continue the development of this great new racing title.

We have gained so much support from the community over the last month, and we would love to keep those connections alive on the Dirt Track Development site. Please sign up below to keep in touch with all the news AS WE MOVE INTO PRODUCTION.

To me that's saying they are getting a codemasters or someone involved to fund the game.
(03-13-2016, 05:36 AM)SprintRCR360 Wrote: To me that's saying they are getting a codemasters or someone involved to fund the game.

Well not exactly codemasters as they are developers in the same game we are.

But we are working towards a solution to the funding problem so we can continue to work on the game.
@Ross or Charles I was just curious if there was any announcements or updates coming up anytime in the month to come haven't heard or seen anything was just wondering, thanks
awesome, I hope they can get some sponsors like USAC, POWRI, WoO and DIRTcar sponsoring this game and hope it is a big hit around the world.
At this point is the game considered dead?
(05-10-2016, 02:29 PM)birddawg Wrote: At this point is the game considered dead?

I hope not. I know there was another game announced recently but... it's a different overall market. 1) it doesn't support modding so content is sure to be limited, 2) it doesn't support offline play against AI which a lot of people would see benefit in and 3) it won't support consoles.

I will say that if BigAnt continues to pursue the project, and I sincerely hope they do (and if they had a donation option on the frontpage I'd be willing to send in the $100 I put in the Kickstarter)... I'd like to see them wait until the other major player ships their add-on content for their platform. I'd like to see it, perhaps, help drive the hardcore/sim mode of the BigAnt finished game while it also has the breadth to support arcade, novice and intermediate driving modes to appeal to a broader audience. Sort of cover all of the bases.

As far as us modders... we're looking for something to take us to the next level. I know there's many that are skeptics within the mod community, but I think the developers at BigAnt have the moxie to show them what they're made of. Dynamic tracks, adjustable suspension geometries from the UI, maybe a tool for allowing tire grooving/siping, etc. I think that if BigAnt shows they can commit to matching the desire for a TRUE sim but also do their best to appeal to the casual gamers, they can bridge a divide. There's things that the competition might be able to do better (and I'd love to see if BigAnt, via some form of matchmaker-style app. could do something to prevent a lot of the riff-raff that plagues RFactor pick-up racing, not sure if BigAnt can do something creative to handle this similar to the license and "driver ratings" other games have with demerits and rewards/awards for clean driving)... but there's things they're going to be limited at that BigAnt and the mod community can do better.
[Image: 26-mm1_animatedsig.gif]

Slingin FacebookMy FaceBook - Skin painter, not for hire.
(05-10-2016, 03:38 PM)SPONGEZILLA Wrote:
(05-10-2016, 02:29 PM)birddawg Wrote: At this point is the game considered dead?

I hope not. I know there was another game announced recently but... it's a different overall market. 1) it doesn't support modding so content is sure to be limited, 2) it doesn't support offline play against AI which a lot of people would see benefit in and 3) it won't support consoles.

Thanks for the support Marcus. I too believe there is a space for a mod-supported console dirt racing game and I think the work and design that we've put into it as a group will eventually see the light of day.

So no, not dead, just hibernating. Many games go through a difficult pre-production process as they try to figure out the correct demographic, market and medium. Our efforts right now are on trying to figure out a way to get the game on a retail disc. The crowdfunding campaign showed us that digital distribution is not the way to go for a dirt track console game, so the only way around is through.
Great to hear Charles Big Grin... from what has been shown so far it would be a shame for this not to hit the consoles. Hopefully things fall into place and we see it sooner than later, but it definitely looks worth the wait.
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”
(05-12-2016, 10:23 AM)Charles Wrote: Thanks for the support Marcus. I too believe there is a space for a mod-supported console dirt racing game and I think the work and design that we've put into it as a group will eventually see the light of day.

So no, not dead, just hibernating. Many games go through a difficult pre-production process as they try to figure out the correct demographic, market and medium. Our efforts right now are on trying to figure out a way to get the game on a retail disc. The crowdfunding campaign showed us that digital distribution is not the way to go for a dirt track console game, so the only way around is through.

I think digital distribution could work for PC where Steam has had success. I honestly believe a lot more people would buy RFactor as a digital download if the costs for unlocking it digitally were cheaper than ordering a hard copy off of Amazon. Why pay more for a downloaded app. when you can get a tangible hard copy of the same file with serial for less, even with shipping/handling? It made no sense and still doesn't. The pricing difference should've been reversed, esp. for the website download version (non-Steam).

Some do prefer to have hard copies of things but I think for modding on the PC side, it helps with consistency and ease of use for user-created and self-distributed content. If the PC version goes Steam-only, I think it makes it easier when creating installers for mod content to only have to point to one location vs. having end-users scrambling to figure out workarounds for Steam vs. non-Steam users. Trying to explain file structures and even install locations is one of the biggest nightmares for modders when dealing with the community audience, esp. as many are not as computer literate. Sometimes we might as well be speaking Swahili. LoL

As an RFactor (and NASCAR Heat/Heat Essentials) person, we've seen the issues here firsthand and having one system for PC distribution might make it a lot more user-friendly. There's also features within Steam itself that are better tapped into when it's focused for it alone on PC. It'd also, obviously, save you on distribution and printing (discs, instructions, cover art, case or sleeve costs, etc.) costs for the desktop user I'm sure.

I kind of hope you guys go "end to end" more than console/arcade dynamics only though. I know in some ways that will create competition with the other big player I mentioned but... I think it helps bridge multiple audiences within sim racing and it gives modders a larger potential audience (i.e. make a mod that supports everything from novice through intermediate to full-bore sim); whether you're a arcade racer or novice level racer or your fully immersed, hardcore sim racer. I think the competition will raise the awareness of realistic dynamics based on their data accumulation... But I don't believe that is a bad thing for you guys. From a modding angle, we likely will have an advantage in overall content. It might not be laser-scanned stuff, but... It also won't cost you a huge premium for a handful of items made available in scant amounts every few years. After all, laser scanning is likely more important for surfaces on asphalt than dirt where the tracks change daily/weekly if not hourly. Top it off the competitor is VERY selective on tracks based on parameters. Smaller bullrings might be altogether ignored by them. Eliminating a Macon (IL), Belle-Claire (IL), Boone (IA), etc. because you enter the track from outside and lack pit stall room for a full field in the infield? My opinion... That sucks for those that are diehard/rabid fans and whom have sim raced them with little issue for years in Heat and RFactor and even DTR2.

Modding has given RFactor racers 100's of dirt tracks of various sizes. It's given us everything from Stock Cars/Street Stocks to Sportsman/Super Stocks to e-mods (IMCA/UMP/WISSOTA/USRA & USMTS/AMRA/EDGE/ et al.), NE center-steer mods (DIRTcar), sprints (winged and non-wing) and midgets, late models (vintage, current and sideboard wedges) and even NZ Super Saloons and BRiSCA tanks and the like. You can almost bank the laser scanned competitor won't provide remotely anything like that.

So... Please don't give up. Smile I see HUGE benefits to what you guys are doing for the sim community. The console audience is a total no-brainer, esp. if arcade to sim modes (and everything between) are supported too. Having a dedicated dirt game by a developer that the community can work together with you on for years? It might be the best option that dirt track game modders have ever had. I look forward to it.
[Image: 26-mm1_animatedsig.gif]

Slingin FacebookMy FaceBook - Skin painter, not for hire.
IF this enabled split-screen racing on the same console it would be a blast for gaming nights. Sony seems to think that their users don't have friends so they need to rely on the internet. Online multiplayer would be awesome as well.

I prefer a physical copy but would definitely go the download option for this. A decent livery creator with heaps of options could make modding less important to me (as RLL3 did) so I'm hoping that PS4 comes the goods here as it really needs a fun racing game.

Fingers-crossed. Smile
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”