Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Hodkinson turn the Knights around?
I'm not sure how much you remember of the 2014 series but NSW won the series because of fantastic defending, an incredibly motivated Jarryd Hayne and forwards who made very little errors.

Both Reynolds and Hodkinson (Moreso Reynolds) were criticized for their lack of ability to get more going for New South Wales with Hayne being credited as the only legitimate attacking threat in the spine. Reynolds and Hodkinson were there because Daley knew they were safe and wouldn't do anything to hurt the side and he was right. The duo made very little errors and were solid in their roles.

Say what you will about DCE but he's the second string half for the national team whilst Hodkinson would probably be about 5th or 6th string. As it stands if Cronk went down hurt the replacement would be DCE, if he were out I think they'd move Thurston to 7 and Morgan to 6. If those three were hurt I still think Ben Hunt and even possibly Anthony Milford would get the nod before Hodkinson.

Now if Hayne were hurt for the 2014 Origin series I'd agree with you that NSW would have lost but Hodkinson wasn't a big part of the win.
The reason Hodkinson was so good is because he didn't make errors which Pearce does. He also scored that great try from a dummy which effectively was a game winner. Hodkinson is a finisher, not a played that is always threatening the line. Yes Jarryd Hayne was good but he is good in every origin series. Yet that series was the only one they won. I am not trying to say how Hodkinson should be playing for Australia, I am telling you how vital he was to NSW's success. And I wouldn't exactly call Reynolds a reliable player.
And I'm trying to suggest that Queensland had the best five eighth in Australia and the second best halfback in Australia going up against guys who probably wouldn't even make the top 5 in their respective positions. I'm basically suggesting that Queensland were outplayed and that the Cooper Cronk being hurt thing shouldn't be used as an excuse.

Reynolds was reliable in 2014. He's a bit of a loose cannon now but in the 2014 Origin series he was really reliable. Solid in defence and didn't really set a foot wrong. Didn't really do anything to help us win either but we were relying on Hayne.

Speaking of Hayne (How's that for a segue?) he had played Origin a lot before but he very rarely was selected in his primary position of fullback. He was on the wing most of the time to make way for players that weren't as good as him such as Dugan, Stewart, Gidley and even Anthony Minichello at one point. The only full series Hayne played at fullback for was 2014 and NSW won it.

I think NSW would have won Game 1 2015 this year if Hayne was at fullback. Queensland only won because Hayne was trialing with the NFL.
Not again.
(09-13-2015, 10:53 PM)SOR Wrote: And I'm trying to suggest that Queensland had the best five eighth in Australia and the second best halfback in Australia going up against guys who probably wouldn't even make the top 5 in their respective positions. I'm basically suggesting that Queensland were outplayed and that the Cooper Cronk being hurt thing shouldn't be used as an excuse.

Reynolds was reliable in 2014. He's a bit of a loose cannon now but in the 2014 Origin series he was really reliable. Solid in defence and didn't really set a foot wrong. Didn't really do anything to help us win either but we were relying on Hayne.

Speaking of Hayne (How's that for a segue?) he had played Origin a lot before but he very rarely was selected in his primary position of fullback. He was on the wing most of the time to make way for players that weren't as good as him such as Dugan, Stewart, Gidley and even Anthony Minichello at one point. The only full series Hayne played at fullback for was 2014 and NSW won it.

I think NSW would have won Game 1 2015 this year if Hayne was at fullback. Queensland only won because Hayne was trialing with the NFL.

Dugan is possible the most overated orgin player in the last 10 years, maybe only behind Jaime(?) Soward. I agree that every game would of been different if Hayne had played but if Cronk had played game 2 I think we would of won that. But noone will never knowTongue