Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lax 16 Sandbox
This is the same post that is in the other thread, this one is just in a different place so it is easier to see and be replied too by other forum members that might otherwise miss it.:

Played the Lax sandbox beta for a while now and here were my takeaways.

•Low fps/high amounts of lag in the game when played at high quality. It sounds like this is a problem that has already been addressed in the forums but to be thorough I had to include it. Crosse Studios has a history of high lag betas with much better fps when the real game releases so I'm not worried about this problem, it should br handeled.

•Something I really did not like about the sandbox was the lack of consitent shot animations. Yes, this is in Sandbox Beta so we cannot judge it too harshly, but consistent shot animations must be the next thing to be added!! sometimes the players dive, sometimes they do a behind the back. It's impossible to be in true control if you leave shot animations up to random chance.

•Shot styles must also be added. Although many gamers did not utilize them the College Lacrosse 2012 shot arsenal included underhand, sidearm and overhand. This was a great feature and needs to get in the Sandbox ASAP!!!! always fun to rip top ched three different ways.

•Shot Accuarcy: In College Lacrosse 2012 and in evey NHL game I've played the shot accuarcy is determined by what you hold on the left stick when you shoot. This controller setup has had tremendous success and is being missed greatly in the Sandbox as we speak. This was something that was not even close to broken, please do not try to "fix" it.

•Passing: I dislike how long it takes the ball to go from one player to anther when tapping RT. I do understand this is a loft, maybe im just not used to it? The 'A' button passes work great. but I would like RT to be the pass button. Maybe It's my bias because I play a lot of the NHL series but that's my subjective opinion. Anyone support or oppose me..?

•Dodging: I realize no dodges have been added to the sandbox yet but why not? This would give us something new to study and advocate it's greatness to more potential buyers or to give feedback to make it better. I would really like to see dodges very soon in the sandbox so this game doesn't end up like Crosse Studio's NLL 2011 with only one dodge.

•Picks/Screens: Although we only see 3 players in the Sandbox it'd be great to add more flavor by bringing back the old pick option from Crosse Studio's NLL 2010. This seems (I'm not a game developer myself) like a very simple addition and will help the quality of the sandbox. The game needs picks in it anyway to live up to it's hype, might as well add it now.

•Dimensions: The players in this sandbox have an average height of 6'1" (about an inch taller tha the goal). It feels like they're running fast, but are they? they run from the Goal to the midfield in about 5.9-6 seconds. That is a SLOW 40 yard dash! but is it a 40 yard dash? We all know the old "pace per yard" trick where 1 step = 1 yard. even if this method is inaccuarate it should at least mean the top of the box to the goal should equal the amount of steps it takes from midfield from the top of the box. In this game the "pace per yard" trick IS accuarate but the field is not a regulation field! the goal to the restraining line is 20 paces/yards whereas the restraining line to midfield is 30 paces/yards making it a a 50 yard dash, not a 40. Yes this is only a sandbox but the difference between good and great is attention to detail.

Hologram effect: Yes Yes Yes, this is only a sandbox beta. Something that does need minor attention is how players can run through each other and through the goal. Not worried about this, wanted to make sure someone else is aware is all.

Although I've written many critic-like reviews above I want to assure readers that I am not a critic, merely a believer. This game has the potential to be one of the best sports games of 2016 and to start a legacy if the quality is high enough. Unfortunatley part of that comes down to budget. I've given feedback to Crosse Studios before and they really listen. I encourage everyone to do the same so we can help crosse Studios and Big Ant achieve this games potential and give a video game to the Lacrosse Community.

[email protected]
-Kyle Souza
THanks Kyle, awesome feedback!

Big Ant Studios store at www.BigAnt.com
Hey um i've been trying to test it out but right now it keeps crashing on me before i can move. Before the nonsense of crashing I have to say the movement is ALOT better no more skating on grass. Though i do recommend textures of grass being tramped under the foot/moving from the player to drive it home. Shooting is a lot better. I havent passed yet though. AI actors tend to phase through player actor. So far so good but please fix the crashing issues or if theres some issue i can fix on my end let me know.
(09-05-2015, 06:25 AM)theguywhosignsin Wrote: Hey um i've been trying to test it out but right now it keeps crashing on me before i can move. Before the nonsense of crashing I have to say the movement is ALOT better no more skating on grass. Though i do recommend textures of grass being tramped under the foot/moving from the player to drive it home. Shooting is a lot better. I havent passed yet though. AI actors tend to phase through player actor. So far so good but please fix the crashing issues or if theres some issue i can fix on my end let me know.

I'm not a BA employee, just helping Ross out. Can you provide your system specs and exactly when it crashes. The more info you provide the more help they can provide.
(09-05-2015, 09:15 AM)theaxe1606 Wrote:
(09-05-2015, 06:25 AM)theguywhosignsin Wrote: Hey um i've been trying to test it out but right now it keeps crashing on me before i can move. Before the nonsense of crashing I have to say the movement is ALOT better no more skating on grass. Though i do recommend textures of grass being tramped under the foot/moving from the player to drive it home. Shooting is a lot better. I havent passed yet though. AI actors tend to phase through player actor. So far so good but please fix the crashing issues or if theres some issue i can fix on my end let me know.

I'm not a BA employee, just helping Ross out. Can you provide your system specs and exactly when it crashes. The more info you provide the more help they can provide.

The specs are as follows:

CPU: intel i3
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 650 Ti OC 1GB GDDR5 2x DVI / HDMI / D-SUB PCI-Express 3.0
RAM: 8 GB kingston 1x module
Mobo: Asus Z87-A DDR3 1600 LGA-1150
Just tested the game out and it seemed to run pretty smoothly on my machine with everything maxed.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card

I use a PS4 controller which had the X and O mapped opposite of an Xbox controller which made the menus a little confusing.

I wish I could run the length of the field and get a feel for that in the beta and that after a shot I could just scoop up the ball and not have it reload. Same for stepping out of bounds.

These players seem super accurate especially when you just hit the shoot button. While I did have some posts or misses I could be running away from the goal and shoot and it still hit top corner.

Here's a recording of my first time playing: http://plays.tv/video/55f0ea24cfdf5fb596
I first started out trying to use my keyboard when I realized I still had my PS4 controller connected which worked instantly.

I will say that it was fun and I enjoyed it looking forward to see more coming to the beta.
Wow, looks really cool.
Hey guys!

I'm from Europe, so please excuse my not so perfect English.

Most things I wanted to say were already mentioned by Kyle, and I totally agree with the points he made (dodging, shot accuracy). Especially the Picks/Screens option sounded very exciting for me, please add that!

I also agree with the point about Passing. I would like to have RT for passing, but A felt like the "faster" option.

Next I tried to do some passes as quick as possible. Sometimes the pass was not thrown to the guy I intended. A possible soulution would be like a blue circle, or something similar, under the intended receiver before a pass is thrown. So when I hit the button, I exactly know who I'm passing to, and maybe while holding the button I can throw the ball a little bit before or behind him with using the left stick, to give the receiver better position when he gets the ball.

This is the first feedback I have ever written, so please take it as a compliment! I'm really exited about this game and will try to support it as much I can!

Andy

PS: I also had one crash, it happened when I was shooting at the goal.
Just in case anyone needs to know, I was able to play the game just fine using a Logitech Gamepad F710 controller on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit. You can map the buttons differently but the defaults work, they just don't map equally to the buttons the game shows in settings with an X-Box controller.
Just copying this over from the other thread so everybody can see it.

From a quick play of the sandbox, here are some of my thoughts.

MOVEMENT
The movement right now is generally good for the game being where it's at right now, but there are a few things I don't like. The teammates have decent positioning, but from time to time they would run past the end line trying to catch a pass, reseting the ball to the box line. Passes shouldn't cause them to run out of bounds and the AI should be telling them to try to stay in bounds so they don't lose possesion. Another thing I wasn't a fan of is how easily you can step into the crease when shooting or just moving behind the cage. This could be a problem when we get full games and our players have no regard for the crease and will cause a lot of turnovers. I'm sure something can be added similar to how in NHL you can't easily skate into the crease (you tend to bounce off or just get slid to the side). Lastly for movement, cutting and dodging happens too easily and too often for my taste. When I move the stick to try to change directions at full speed, there are times where I don't want to cut, but it feels like the slightest movement causes a huge juke and slows me down quite a bit.

SHOOTING
Like others have said, shots are too hard and too accurate. The quick shots using the stick should be for shots near/rolling the crease. Right now, I can send a behind the back bomb from the box line on a rope and hit a corner on every shot. Shots like this shouldn't even make it to the net. There should be a way to control what type of shot you are trying to take. When I push the stick up, sometimes it's a dive shot, sometimes it's behind the back, sometimes it's a jump shot. It is nice to have the variety, but more control over what you are doing would be really nice. The B button (on xBox controllers) should be for time and room shots, and we should be able to hold it and really load up into a shot. Lastly, I think being able to pick spots where you want to shoot would be huge for this game. There are times where a bounce shot or low shot is better than shooting for the roof, but right now I am just not able to pick which spot to hit.
Edit: After doing a crude calculation, if we assume dimensions are correct, it is 60 feet from the box line to the goal line. Timing 5 shots from time of release to the time they enter the goal, I'm getting an average of around 169 mph. This is off of the quick shot stick too, so some of these were behind the back shots breaking 100 mph, so either these players are absolute beasts, or the shot speed needs to be toned down a little bit.

PASSING
Passing is the best mechanic right now in my opinion. They feel good and feel pretty realistic as far as speed goes, and in a game, passing accuracy shouldn't be realistic. Missing passes in real life happens; in a video game, it takes away from the fun. I like where the passing is at right now, but the issue with teammates running out of bounds to catch a pass needs to be addressed.

Overall, this is a great start. I am really having fun with all of the things I can play around with here. Other things like stick control and more specialized dodging will be added later I'm sure, but this is a really nice foundation and I can see this being a really fun game.

Some quick edits here:

I think there should be a sprint button, with a stamina rating for the players that determines how long you are able to sprint for.
There should be a movement modifier for dodging/cutting (hold RB and move the stick to dodge, with different movements being different dodges) rather than just stick movement being the dodging.
Stick modifier to change how you will shoot, pass, or just tap to change hands to set up an offhand shot/pass/dodge (maybe later it can change how you throw stick checks).
The controlled movement to set up dodges looks really nice.
There are some sound issues that I'm sure will be fixed later (no footstep sounds, no sound when the ball hits the back wall, no sound for the ball rolling in the grass, among others, and the most glaring one for me: no music).
The dodge animations look nice, but there is no variety, just split dodges. They should at least switch hands with the stick when they cut.
The lighting on the field looks really good and the shadows are really nice, but the shadows change direction when you cut in areas with light.
Trying to pass over the net can be a bit wonky sometimes.