Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
My review on RLL3
It's amazing.

I live in Wigan and GAME is only a thirty-minute walk from my house. I got there early so I got on first. Smile I went with a friend and we played a Brisbane Broncos vs New Zealand Warriors match, I lost in extra-time 24-18. Sam Tomkins with the late try.

The Hooker role has improved tremendously. I made three line-breaks and received a penalty because of my runs from dummy-half. You no longer get tackled instantly and you can draw defenders in and pass the ball to a player who'll then break the line.

The tackling has also been improved. The robotic, jumpy animations are gone, now it's very smooth. Players struggle in the tackle to free their body to escape the tackle or get an offload away. I never put any big hits on, because I didn't want to risk missing a tackle. Tackling chest-high and low down makes a massive difference, too. All tries I conceded were due to offloads, the game was played on Amateur so fends/steps were happening all over the place, unfortunately.

I can also confirm that there are NO stupid interceptions and forwards do not score full length tries. The only problem I had was that when my friend knocked on twice, my player either kicked the ball into touch (The animation was really good, though Tongue) or ran into touch. This was user error, not a fault of the game. My first time playing, so if any of you see this in other gameplay videos, it's entirely on the user.

The graphics are simply amazing. I can't really write anymore than that tbh. Big Grin

The passing is VERY fluid, too. I was able to pass realisticly, my team ran good lines and gave good support. No one ran too far forward. My only issue was that my right-bumper kept sticking; it's entirely why I lost. Sleepy

I couldn't hear the commentary, the volume wasn't working.

My only complaint is that my demo only lasted 10 minutes!
I also had the chance to play Be-A-Pro, but my friend was feeling ill so I couldn't play, unfortunately. Sad

If you've got any questions that my little review didn't answer, please ask!
The hype is real, this game really is as brilliant as it looks! I can't wait for the full-release. Mainly so I can get revenge on my friend who is now bragging, the ginger b*stard.
(09-02-2015, 01:23 AM)RhysC97 Wrote: It's amazing.

I live in Wigan and GAME is only a thirty-minute walk from my house. I got there early so I got on first. Smile I went with a friend and we played a Brisbane Broncos vs New Zealand Warriors match, I lost in extra-time 24-18. Sam Tomkins with the late try.

The Hooker role has improved tremendously. I made three line-breaks and received a penalty because of my runs from dummy-half. You no longer get tackled instantly and you can draw defenders in and pass the ball to a player who'll then break the line.

The tackling has also been improved. The robotic, jumpy animations are gone, now it's very smooth. Players struggle in the tackle to free their body to escape the tackle or get an offload away. I never put any big hits on, because I didn't want to risk missing a tackle. Tackling chest-high and low down makes a massive difference, too. All tries I conceded were due to offloads, the game was played on Amateur so fends/steps were happening all over the place, unfortunately.

I can also confirm that there are NO stupid interceptions and forwards do not score full length tries. The only problem I had was that when my friend knocked on twice, my player either kicked the ball into touch (The animation was really good, though Tongue) or ran into touch. This was user error, not a fault of the game. My first time playing, so if any of you see this in other gameplay videos, it's entirely on the user.

The graphics are simply amazing. I can't really write anymore than that tbh. Big Grin

The passing is VERY fluid, too. I was able to pass realisticly, my team ran good lines and gave good support. No one ran too far forward. My only issue was that my right-bumper kept sticking; it's entirely why I lost. Sleepy

I couldn't hear the commentary, the volume wasn't working.

My only complaint is that my demo only lasted 10 minutes!
I also had the chance to play Be-A-Pro, but my friend was feeling ill so I couldn't play, unfortunately. Sad

If you've got any questions that my little review didn't answer, please ask!
The hype is real, this game really is as brilliant as it looks! I can't wait for the full-release. Mainly so I can get revenge on my friend who is now bragging, the ginger b*stard.

There have been some reports that the right analog is used in the struggle tackle, to A.) try to get more meters B.) maybe free up arms for an offload and C.) maybe even break out of a struggle tackle on rare occasion. Did you try this? Do you know if that function was there?

If the manual was there would love for someone to read the tips section they normally put in the back, this really gives a good insight to how the new features may work for game play. Don't know how many read these but in the past games they have been really helpful on how to use the new features.

Cheers and Salud
Good review Rhys sounds like you had a good experience.

Very encouraging regards the dummy half play and line running/passing.Also glad the excessive intercepts and big Forwards going the length of the field seems to have been eradicated.

A lot of the videos out there look good but as most have observed, it doesn't seem to be played like real life rugby with all the hotpotato side to side passing and no use of forwards.did you try making yards with your forwards just hitting it up?
Do you think the hooker is now to over powered considering you were the Broncos and their hooker is andrew McCullough who isn't the type of hooker to make breaks does could mean the likes of issac luke segy and grandville could have a field day scouting out of hooker?
Do you think the hooker is now to over powered considering you were the Broncos and their hooker is andrew McCullough who isn't the type of hooker to make breaks does could mean the likes of issac luke segy and grandville could have a field day scouting out of hooker?
(09-02-2015, 01:35 AM)lionmaul Wrote: There have been some reports that the right analog is used in the struggle tackle, to A.) try to get more meters B.) maybe free up arms for an offload and C.) maybe even break out of a struggle tackle on rare occasion. Did you try this? Do you know if that function was there?

If the manual was there would love for someone to read the tips section they normally put in the back, this really gives a good insight to how the new features may work for game play. Don't know how many read these but in the past games they have been really helpful on how to use the new features.

Cheers and Salud

I didn't try this feature. I knew it existed, but I didn't know how to use it. I think it happened to me once or twice, Sam Thaiday and Matt Gillet shrugged off a tackler on different occasions. I didn't know how I did it, though. Tongue

The fellow on sight was a great help, but I didn't ask him too much as he was helping people who have never played a rugby game before so I thought I'd make his job easier and leave him alone.

(09-02-2015, 01:48 AM)BigMoz Wrote: Good review Rhys sounds like you had a good experience.

Very encouraging regards the dummy half play and line running/passing.Also glad the excessive intercepts and big Forwards going the length of the field seems to have been eradicated.

A lot of the videos out there look good but as most have observed, it doesn't seem to be played like real life rugby with all the hotpotato side to side passing and no use of forwards.did you try making yards with your forwards just hitting it up?

Using forwards has always been my playstyle, but me and my friend used the forwards a lot. I offloaded much less than him however. He did spam offloads, but thats an error of me not tacking high enough and the difficulty being on the lowest setting.

Me and my friend made much better yards than people on youtube videos because we had more forward momentum. Their playstyle is poor, so using forwards is definitely the best way to go about it. Smile

(09-02-2015, 02:26 AM)napa Wrote: Do you think the hooker is now to over powered considering you were the Broncos and their hooker is andrew McCullough who isn't the type of hooker to make breaks does could mean the likes of issac luke segy and grandville could have a field day scouting out of hooker?

I'd say all those breaks were due to his poor defending. He charged out of the line, leaving massive gaps. The game was also on amateur difficulty, so it was stupidly easy to break the line. Had it of been on a higher difficulty, the game would of had less line-breaks. It feels natural, too. Didn't feel overpowered when using my Hooker, had to pass 70 percent of the time rather than run.

It's very realistic the Hooker gameplay from what I saw. Smile
Very good write up mate glad to hear someone play some proper footy and reap the benefits. Did you use the hit up RS with the forwards?
(09-02-2015, 06:23 AM)Kingcutty Wrote: Very good write up mate glad to hear someone play some proper footy and reap the benefits. Did you use the hit up RS with the forwards?

+1. Keen to hear more about this and how the attacking kicking game works. For me, the kicking game is one area that no league games has nailed yet and it is such a big part of the game. We may not see much of that until people have the game and have gotten playing hot potato out of their systems.
(09-02-2015, 06:23 AM)Kingcutty Wrote: Very good write up mate glad to hear someone play some proper footy and reap the benefits. Did you use the hit up RS with the forwards?

Thanks mate! Big Grin
If you mean the right-stick, then no. I knew a new hit-up system was in the game, but I didn't know how to use it. I think now after reading the replies that I did it once or twice in the game, escaped two tackle attempts even after they wrapped onto me.

To be honest, it was rather hard to see the full effect of forwards because of the difficulty it was played on. Fends and steps galore.

I'd also like to point out that the Staff of GAME did an absolutely fantastic job of advertising the game. Some staff wearing Wigan jerseys, posters hung up outside and inside the store. They even set up an extra monitor with an Xbox so more people could play game; you could tell that they were passionate. They made more effort than when the newest Call of Duty came out. Many people are massive fans of Rugby League in Wigan, and the young lad who was in charge was definitely a fan of the game, promoted the FanHub extensively. He's made a Wigan 92 team, definitely checking it out soon! Big Grin

(09-02-2015, 07:11 AM)YOGI Wrote:

+1. Keen to hear more about this and how the attacking kicking game works. For me, the kicking game is one area that no league games has nailed yet and it is such a big part of the game. We may not see much of that until people have the game and have gotten playing hot potato out of their systems.

I didn't kick much because of the length of the game.
I did manage to get a few high bombs into the air that I contested for and won every time Tongue The kicking is much less ridged than in RLL2, a tiny tap of the analog stick won't sent the marker onto the other side of the stadium.

The only problem I had that related to kicking was that whenever I tried skipping the cinematic, I kept tapping the ball on kick-off, losing about 40 yards. This was because my friend was skipping, too. Other than that, the kicking was very clean and crisp from my experience; but it was a very short one, so if any problems to come up in the actual game I'm completely unaware of them at this point.
You're saying you have played the game at a Game store in Britain! Is this a wind up? I was in my local Game store today. No info on show to say the game is for imminent release let alone having a copy in store to play.