Poll: Who would you support
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Big Ant Studios
79.03%
49 79.03%
EA Sports
20.97%
13 20.97%
Total 62 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
RLL3 (Big Ant Studios) v NRL 16 (EA Sports)
(08-15-2015, 03:13 PM)Ross Wrote: I. Give. Up. Smile

PS: Please ring the NFL bankers before they lose too much money, they've got it all wrong...

http://nflrz.nflrush.com/games

and these guys from the Premier League must be nuts...

http://kids.premierleague.com/register/

and these guys from the MLB will be out of business in no time...

http://www.wgtbaseball.com/

That's considerably different, Ross. Those are Facebook games or online flash games which is exactly what I suggested in my prior post in this thread. Said I was all for mobile games or things that could be produced cheaply being given for free.

Offering a game with the level of depth that a Rugby League Live console game offers for free wouldn't work as well as that in my opinion and my opinion won't change.

Free flash game on the NRL website? Sure, fine. Free console games? Don't think it'd work.

EDIT: If they cost millions I'm against it. Can't see the NRL really hooking anyone new. That's just opinion, I could be way off.
Not following on from my comments above, as I'm done on that, but I am sure we can agree and have to acknowledge that our local codes are under attack.

We cannot continue to lose kids time and minds to other sports, regardless of the medium of delivery, and expect to survive well.

Indeed, if they repeat what they have done in the past, a build it and they will come attitude, then the local codes will not survive at all. It will take some extraordinary leadership and thinking to navigate these next few decades.

Big Ant Studios store at www.BigAnt.com
Are there any government grants that you guys get Ross?

Perhaps that's an avenue you could pursue, you'd be one of the leading development teams in the country right?

---

Game development is only going to get bigger. You'd hope to be even better by the time the gaming market in India becomes legit, because if you guys still have the best cricket game out there and Indians aren't pirating the game all of a sudden, the 2 million units talk isn't that insane.
I don't know what to do in regards to the kids except suggest that the game is a little more kid friendly. Action figures, play fields, books/comics for kids etc. If a flash game wouldn't set you back a couple million I'd suggest that as well.

I do think one thing that all the major codes in Australia are missing out on is film making though. It may sound silly to some but look at the success the American sports films have had. An Australian one could have as much success.

Footy Legends was okay but the NRL has so many great stories why not a movie about them? The government offers financing for projects in this country so instead of making shitty horror movies or "gay drama" how about Australia produces it's own Rugby League movie?

Ideas:

- Back in 2004 you had the American Tomahawks play Australia in a game that the Tomahawks were expected to get belted in. The Tomahawks lead Australia 24-6 at half time before Australia comes behind and mows them down. You could follow a player or even the coach and the lead up to that game, how America had no shot and just like Rocky they do their best and lose in the end. Decent underdog story.

- Parramatta Eels 2009 we're all familiar with I'm sure. Similar to the one above but you could easily get 2 hours out of it. Write some drama and perhaps a nice sub plot and you've got a decent movie.

- Melbourne Storm 2010 salary cap scandal would be a phenomenal film to make. There have been books written on the subject along with what the media reportedso you'd really only need the Storm to sign off on it (Which they probably wouldn't). Regardless, you could do a film like this covering the rise which they cheated to achieve and the fall.

- The Alex McKinnon Story. It's a touchy one no doubt but it'd be a phenomenal film if done correctly. Obviously the story follows Alex McKinnon and his life. He makes first grade, meets his fiance, the accident, the rehab, the drama.

Those are all films I think a majority of NRL fans would watch and a couple (Melbourne 2010 scandal, McKinnon) could probably hook your average Australian and overseas person as well.
(08-15-2015, 03:49 PM)BRAB Wrote: Are there any government grants that you guys get Ross?

Perhaps that's an avenue you could pursue, you'd be one of the leading development teams in the country right?

---

Game development is only going to get bigger. You'd hope to be even better by the time the gaming market in India becomes legit, because if you guys still have the best cricket game out there and Indians aren't pirating the game all of a sudden, the 2 million units talk isn't that insane.

The Abbott government has gone out of their way to target games. They took all Video Games funding/grants in their first budget and have now expressly stated that Video Games are not to be considered Art nor do they have Artistic Content and are therefore not to be considered for any federal Arts related grants.

Big Ant Studios store at www.BigAnt.com
Since when is every investment a 100% guarantee of a return?
The NRL spend millions of advertising to get CURRENT fans off their arses and to the games. In my opinion that's a waste. Spending money advertising a over advertising a game they already watch.
Where is the world going with regards entertainment? Online gaming. Where does this start? Youths. Kids obsessed with Minecraft etc.
A good rugby league game is gold for everyone. League needs to get on top of this. Now. Kids and games have always gone together. Want better advertising? Channel 9, prime time Friday Night Footy? Social media however, is the best, cheapest and most effective way. You get a great game with strong online play, people share scores and talk/compare /compete. It does the work for you. The key, is money to take passion and talent and make it profitable. That's all an investment is.
I'm no BA apologist. I found RLL one if the worst games I've ever playes. The first edition of RLL2 you couldn't play career mode with a custom player for crying out loud. But hey, shit happens.
BA has done a great job considering the budget they have, yet get compared to companies with blockbuster budgets. All I personally ask is an improvement with each title. In my opinion they have done this. RLL2 was at best solid and fun, at worst brain numbingly frustrating with the intercept, positioning and speed glitches. From what Ross has said, these have been improved, and the career mode has been enhanced.
What more do people expect? I can't cop this "Well charge $50 bucks for it." That's bullshit. BA have put in the same work EA have and 2k. Neither of these companies give out great games. Want proof? Play that last WWE game. We make investments all the time as consumers. The best thing about games is we can get a refund.
You want a better game? Help out the guys that actually give a shit to make one on a pittance budget. Plus cop shit left right and centre because it's not living up to certain individuals expectations.
I don't know why everybody always plays up EA and how good they'd do with a Rugby League game?

Did anyone ever play the rugby games? I admit Rugby 08 was fun and had some good game modes but in terms of actual realism it was trash lol. You can swerve and the entire opposition team shifts in that way haha. The steps and fend are precanned, predetermined animations.

Ea given the same resources that Big Ant has would make a significantly worse game.
(08-15-2015, 07:10 PM)HKBrowny Wrote: I don't know why everybody always plays up EA and how good they'd do with a Rugby League game?

Did anyone ever play the rugby games? I admit Rugby 08 was fun and had some good game modes but in terms of actual realism it was trash lol. You can swerve and the entire opposition team shifts in that way haha. The steps and fend are precanned, predetermined animations.

Ea given the same resources that Big Ant has would make a significantly worse game.

i Argree
Signature
(08-15-2015, 06:13 PM)saints4ever Wrote: BA have put in the same work EA have and 2k. Neither of these companies give out great games. Want proof? Play that last WWE game.

THQ had a good thing going with that series before they went bankrupt, I have WWE 2K15 and it's garbage, seriously, they took out so many good things about the game, and you'll get banned from community creations for uploading a creation of Chris Benoit. The only positive I could take out of that game is the ability to upload your own logos.
(08-15-2015, 08:48 PM)tysonbennett_ Wrote:
(08-15-2015, 06:13 PM)saints4ever Wrote: BA have put in the same work EA have and 2k. Neither of these companies give out great games. Want proof? Play that last WWE game.

THQ had a good thing going with that series before they went bankrupt, I have WWE 2K15 and it's garbage, seriously, they took out so many good things about the game, and you'll get banned from community creations for uploading a creation of Chris Benoit. The only positive I could take out of that game is the ability to upload your own logos.

What have they taken out? I don't think I've bought a 2K made WWE game hahaha