Poll: Who would you support
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Big Ant Studios
79.03%
49 79.03%
EA Sports
20.97%
13 20.97%
Total 62 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
RLL3 (Big Ant Studios) v NRL 16 (EA Sports)
(08-15-2015, 11:34 AM)SOR Wrote: It's very easy from the outside looking in to say "Throw them 2 million" but why should they unless they're seeing a return of 2 million plus an amount to make it worth it for them?

Inb4 "The NRL should give Big Ant 2 million because it's good exposure for them".

Depends how you look at things.

I see the video game as a marketing tool - if I were the NRL I would give it away free, get every kid playing the sport. For me that would be a lot cheaper than most of the marketing campaigns they run and you'd capture the next gen. Probably even get international kids playing it too as it would be one of the highest quality free games available. Advertisers in the game would probably make the costs break even or better.

The return would be millions and millions of dollars down the track.

Big Ant Studios store at www.BigAnt.com
Absolutely. How many million kids have started to play soccer in their local junior comp because of FIFA? If the NRL can expose this to children all over Australia, England and maybe even the USA, our game will grow insanely. I think the NRL need to stay locally to begin with though, and allow exposure in states like Victoria, WA and the NT where AFL dominates.
But the NRL is a business. They're not going to give away a product (Whether that be a game, advertising, tv time etc) in the hopes that in future they'll see profit from it. A business can't work like that especially when it comes to millions and millions of dollars.
What about NRL 2K16
Got a nice ring to it 2k have created a good bball game that can't be touched for now.
(08-15-2015, 02:08 PM)roostersule2 Wrote: That's exactly how a business works, if they stay stagnant they're just going to run themselves into the ground.

If the NRL don't see the potential in it they're morons. Soccer gets a huge amount of kids playing their game due to FIFA.

Also when you're getting paid billions, 2 million dollars is peanuts.

No intelligent business is going to give away 2 million on something so risky.
And for every FIFA or NBA you have a Rugby Union game or an Olympics game that has flopped on it's ass and nobody has liked.

And where exactly is the NRL going to get their 2 million back from? Tickets that they get a percentage of? Junior sign ups which often 100% go to the club? Merchandise?

It's not like NRL is a small league that nobody knows. I guarantee most of the Australian public know whether or not they like Rugby League.
Very, very short sighted SOR, you cannot run a short balance sheet across every line item or you would never promote or advertise anything at all.

Businesses spend millions on advertising every day to gain market share, indeed look at the iOS ad's on TV - it's called User Acquisition Cost (UAC). You have to hope that in the long run that the Revenue Per User (RPU) is greater than the UAC over the life of the user.

The NRL is already spending millions of UAC to stave off AFL and Soccer, it's about spending that money wisely. The first code in Australia to give their video games away will make a serious dent in the next generation of kids.

If there are no users (viewers in this context) then the sport is dead and unfortunately it's a spiral with a hard road back. The AFL and NRL will find it increasingly difficult to hold their ground let alone gain.

(08-15-2015, 02:53 PM)roostersule2 Wrote: The 2 million goes to advertising, which leads to more sales, and more junior players. Now for your obviously depleted mind you can't see that more juniors is invaluable to RL. More players=more fans=more merchandise=more money.

What a poor argument again, you think Soccer is a small sport?

So the idea is for the NRL to give 2 million dollars in cash plus offer free advertising worth millions more in hopes that people who live under a rock and know nothing about one of the most publicised sports in the country play a video game and decide it's the sport for them.

You know what I have this great idea let me share it with you. I'm going to go ahead and produce a movie, put millions into it, put high paid actors in it and then I'm going to release it in on the internet for free, give the DVD away for free and hire out ANZ Stadium to give away 93,000 tickets away for free so everyone can see it.

Then I'm going to take another few million and make a sequel but this time I'll produce merchandise and hope I can recoup all the money I lost by giving a product away for free from merchandising.

Yeah, I'm sure the bank that I pitch this to will just sign me a cheque for 10 million. Thanks for the business advice.

(08-15-2015, 03:09 PM)Ross Wrote: Very, very short sighted SOR, you cannot run a short balance sheet across every line item or you would never promote or advertise anything at all.

Businesses spend millions on advertising every day to gain market share, indeed look at the iOS ad's on TV - it's called User Acquisition Cost. You have to hope that in the long run that the Revenue Per User (RPU) is greater than the UAC over the life of the user.

The NRL is already spending millions of UAC to stave off AFL and Soccer, it's about spending that money wisely. The first code in Australia to give their video games away will make a serious dent in the next generation of kids.

The only way I could see an idea like this working would be a phone NRL game where you can produce it for a lot less and offer it for free.

I don't think throwing millions at a company like BigAnt would see the NRL ever make their money back. It's a huge gamble and if it were my business I wouldn't do it.
I. Give. Up. Smile

PS: Please ring the NFL bankers before they lose too much money, they've got it all wrong...

http://nflrz.nflrush.com/games

and these guys from the Premier League must be nuts...

http://kids.premierleague.com/register/

and these guys from the MLB will be out of business in no time...

http://www.wgtbaseball.com/

ALL of these campaigns and games cost them millions - why do they do it - to get the kids and keep them.