Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Fuifui Moimoi
(06-29-2015, 10:48 AM)SOR Wrote: Wait. Moi Moi is playing second division in England? He was getting poor in Australia but he should be tearing up second division.

Yes SOR he is playing in the Championship which is the division below Super League. At first I wondered if he was just trying to put himself in the shop window for when a Super League team got some salary cap space but clearly not, he has also put a bit of weight on too. Leigh are an ambitious club to be fair with Super League aspirations and MoiMoi has been one of a number of big signings for them
Moi Moi is a very popular clubman so despite his form not being great surley his signing has reaped benefits with regard to spectators etc? Not sure what money he got though maybe it was overs? George Rose in his later years has proved a popular signing for his character presence and secondly a bit of a relief forward, miss him at manly shame to see him struggle the last few years, particularly at Melbourne
(06-29-2015, 12:07 PM)Dave7 Wrote:
(06-29-2015, 10:48 AM)SOR Wrote: Wait. Moi Moi is playing second division in England? He was getting poor in Australia but he should be tearing up second division.

Yes SOR he is playing in the Championship which is the division below Super League. At first I wondered if he was just trying to put himself in the shop window for when a Super League team got some salary cap space but clearly not, he has also put a bit of weight on too. Leigh are an ambitious club to be fair with Super League aspirations and MoiMoi has been one of a number of big signings for them

A few of those Leigh forwards seem to be carrying too much weight, Moi Moi and Hock in particular.
(06-30-2015, 12:52 AM)benrhino Wrote: A few of those Leigh forwards seem to be carrying too much weight, Moi Moi and Hock in particular.

Has Hock gained a little tubby? I didn't watch the game, unfortunately. I'd still imagine him ripping it up, however. Big Grin
(06-30-2015, 07:36 AM)RhysC97 Wrote:
(06-30-2015, 12:52 AM)benrhino Wrote: A few of those Leigh forwards seem to be carrying too much weight, Moi Moi and Hock in particular.

Has Hock gained a little tubby? I didn't watch the game, unfortunately. I'd still imagine him ripping it up, however. Big Grin

He certainly seemed a little bigger than I remember, but I also think at Leigh and during his time at Salford he was asked to play a bit more prop. The two could be linked.
(06-30-2015, 08:01 AM)benrhino Wrote: He certainly seemed a little bigger than I remember, but I also think at Leigh and during his time at Salford he was asked to play a bit more prop. The two could be linked.

It is an absolute shame he's a nutter.
World-Class without a doubt, but his off-field attitude is appalling. I know the people he knocked about with during his time at Wigan; it's no suprise he's like them.

As you can tell, I rate him very highly as a player. It's a shame he couldn't get his career on track. Love him or hate him, you cannot deny that he's a true talent.
Without a doubt he has/had the potential to be the best SR England has ever produced, at least recently anyway. I genuinely believe that and when he was released from Salford I wanted Leeds to pick him up, thinking that if anyone could straighten him out it would be McDermott, Sinifield, Peacock etc.

Still I liked how he played the game with an edge, much like Ryan Bailey (who also could have been a lot better than the average-good prop he ended up) I remember in 2002ish they both played against the Junior England team against the Aussies and knocked them all over.
What's this Hocks problem attitude wise? I've used him in RLL2 before but didn't know of any off field issues from what little I do indeed know of him.
He has a drug problem, anger management issues that translate to ill discipline on the pitch, has missed training sessions and has had a good few arguments and fallings out.
Just to defend Hock a bit. I think the reputation and perception is now worse than the actual problem, which means because it's Gareth Hock everything he does is looked at in a certain way.

He did drugs and served his ban. As far as I know he has been clean since, it always seems to get mentioned when discussing him though. On the flip side you never see anyone mention Leon pryce glassine his girlfriend which imo is 10 times worse than Hock doing recreational drugs.

In terms of fallings out, while being the first to fallout with Dr Koukash he certainly hasn't been the last. Even Tony Puleatua who strikes me as a great professional, has fallen foul at Salford. Wigan fans were sour because after they took him back after his ban he wanted to go to the NRL. Wane and Wigan took it as a slight and loaned him out. Again not entirely his fault against a coach who doesn't strike me as a great man manager or coach (I don't like his style. Hocks best year recently was at Widnes, a well run club under a coach who I highly respect in Dennis Betts.

Finally on the field again I feel thing were always blown out of proportion because of his reputation. (with the exception of the eye gouge). Take the two offences he got banned for last at Salford. The first one fair enough was deliberate and a penalty. The second was clumsy, but because he had done it previously he got binned for it. He also got a 6 match ban. Now neither were really dangerous and as I said were definitely more clumsy. Contrast to what Marc Sneyd did to Danny McGuire, deliberately twisting the ankle twice causing potentially serious damage.....he only got a two match ban.

These days Hock is a victim of his own reputation.