Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rugby World Cup Game/Rugby Challenge 3
(07-24-2015, 03:19 PM)sanzar Wrote: Only just noticed this, but that email that TSC sent to the SARU had mention of the South African 7s side being licensed.

Given that RLL3 will have 9s, does that mean HES have a larger strategy of including the short form of both sports in their games? Good idea if so - always wondered why no dev ever tried it.

I'd think it would be a little trickier with Rugby to get right than League, but surely we're at the stage that enough has come before that developers are starting to understand how to do it.

Still with Big Ant out and Sidhe apparently out (I notice they say that they aren't making "Rugby Challenge 3"), I hope Wicked Witch are ready to make their first good sports game.

(07-25-2015, 10:04 AM)C A Iversen Wrote: I'd think it would be a little trickier with Rugby to get right than League, but surely we're at the stage that enough has come before that developers are starting to understand how to do it.

Still with Big Ant out and Sidhe apparently out (I notice they say that they aren't making "Rugby Challenge 3"), I hope Wicked Witch are ready to make their first good sports game.

You'd imagine it would be more involved in Union, just in terms of limiting the number of players to rucks etc and sorting out set-piece, but you'd still think that'd more be a process of merely tweaking a game engine rather than anything radical.

Very much looking forward to seeing info on this game - with a slated release of September it's certainly not going to have a tonne of time for promotion though.
Unless HES have given another developer all of Sidhe's tech to play with and build on, it all seems a little pointless to me.

I dont think anyone from scratch will touch Rugby Challenge 3. Motion, animation, fluidity of control and general polish of engine, I dont think Big Ant will touch and they are on their third go of League.

Rugby Challenge 2 had its issues, but control wise they pretty much nailed it, it was superb. The graphics were also stunning in my opinion.

HES should have moved heaven and earth to get Sidhe to continue and make RC3.
(07-26-2015, 06:48 PM)Pickle Wrote: Rugby Challenge 2 had its issues, but control wise they pretty much nailed it, it was superb.

Control wise they pretty much nailed it? It was impossible to control your player when you'd go to score a try and someone would come in to tackle your guy and then he'd bounce out of the tackle, stand up again and get tackled again..... over and over.

The controls were definitely not superb, you did not have much in the way of definitive control of your player.

The game was extremely glitchy and rucks were a lottery.

Who knows, Maybe WW will redeem themselves, like BigAnt did with RLL2 (no offence) Ross
We know, as has been discussed before, RLL1 wasn't what it should have been.

Difference is we had a long term plan.... and we love sport (indeed I'm an addict as are a lot of the BA team).

Big Ant Studios store at www.BigAnt.com
Ah, Ok I wasn't around for those discussions and wasn't even expecting a second installment. It made the first RLL2 experience that much sweeter for my brother and I.
Then the DLC came along, made me make a thread to thank you guys.

(07-26-2015, 11:50 PM)Ross Wrote: .... and we love sport (indeed I'm an addict as are a lot of the BA team).

As a league/game 'fanatic' that truly is music to my ears Smile
(07-27-2015, 12:42 AM)THEgamefreak274 Wrote:
(07-26-2015, 11:50 PM)Ross Wrote: .... and we love sport (indeed I'm an addict as are a lot of the BA team).

As a league/game 'fanatic' that truly is music to my ears Smile

Not only that, but they actually listen to their fans and often acknowledge good new ideas from them.

A bit concerned that maybe another developer for the next Rugby Challenge isn't a sports mad team like Big Ant are. It makes a huge difference.

Over at TRF someone has noted that Wicked Witch have on LinkedIn that they've been working on an undisclosed sports title since 2012.
(07-27-2015, 10:50 AM)sanzar Wrote: Over at TRF someone has noted that Wicked Witch have on LinkedIn that they've been working on an undisclosed sports title since 2012.

I'd hoped it was Big Ant for a long time (and didn't give up on it until Ross said otherwise) but I came to my own person conclusion that Wicked Witch was the most likely very early this year.

My main reason for that is HES/Tru Blu need to have somewhat of a balance of developers to choose from. Sidhe have decided to go away from work-for-hire as they've stated. That leaves Big Ant and Wicked Witch. If Big Ant get all the projects, Wicked Witch will have a much greater chance of going under.

If that happens and only Big Ant is left at the table, you get a situation where Big Ant's negotiation power goes up to a level that I'm sure HES would not like.

They've shown they're not afraid to send decent sized projects Wicked Witches way, despite poor consumer feedback with AFL Live 2. So, it stands to reason and deduction that what I've said is part of the reasoning.

Wicked Witch also don't consult or interact with their audience much if at all. They just go through their projects as exactly that a "project" they've been contracted to make. This has been shown to be something Tru Blu have liked to do themselves as their consumer interaction is very low.

I think they like the secretive nature of operators like Wicked Witch.

Anyhow, that'd be some of the reasons I suspected this was going to happen (despite it not being confirmed as yet).