Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rugby World Cup Game/Rugby Challenge 3
Okay, once again that rather persistent (god bless him) fellow The Scottish Cannon has come out with some more of his "rugby gaming news". Now he has been known to post speculation in the past, but it's never really wild or completely unlikely stuff.

I always sit down to watch his information with a large pinch of salt by my side, because we rugby gaming fans know that unlike Rugby League and Cricket, there's always such secretiveness and rumour about RUgby Union games.

This is mainly due to the fact that every World Cup time it always seems that two developers are closely examing the prospect of a Union game. This makes each party want to be ultra secretive about rights, licenses, everything, right down to the damned existence of their games.

Anyhow, the Cannon has taken an interesting approach and emailed the NZRFU and received word back from them that there is a game coming, which they refer to as "Rugby Challenge 3".

Here's the link to his You Tube clip posted up in the last 24 hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuxXxLe5oy0

It seems that like every World Cup time, a developer is starting to "care" about Rugby gaming again. Unless it's a new one and then that's a little unfair.

In my opinion, for what little that's worth, I think this will work out to be true. I've no secrets to keep (no one will tell me anything unfortunately), so I'll just say what I have a pretty sure feeling about.

1. I'm pretty sure Tru Blu are producing a Rugby game. Why?

A) - It's World Cup time and they have some history with Union, with a game for the last cup and then 2 years later with the Lions Tour timed game.

B) - They've had licenses in the past and may still hold some.

C) - It's the most profitable time for a Union game to come out.

D) - A certain New Zealand developer has stated earlier, that they are NOT working on a Rugby Challenge 3, but that doesn't mean someone else isn't.

2 - If Tru Blu are producing a Union game, they only have 3 developers to choose from based on past history. That would be Sidhe, Wicked Witch and Big Ant. Unless there's intentional deception (or outright lies) being told at Sidhe, they are not making a game from what has been said. Which leaves Wicked Witch and Big Ant. We all know who'd do a better job in that case.

3 - Secretiveness will be being caused by two things.

A) - The HB/Big Ben fiasco known as "Rugby 15" and their likely interest in having another crack at a "game" for the Rugby World Cup.

B) - The Rugby League Live 3 game is coming out and Tru Blu don't want ANY of their Union market to hold off RLL3 and wait for a Union game.

Both of which mean we won't find out much about a Union game until League has been out for a while. It's likely the "Early June" sort of intentions we'd heard about for RLL3 have been because that game needs to be out and have sold it's first month of sales (at least) before you'd want to start talking to people about a Rugby Union game.

Summing up my hopes, I'd like it to be Big Ant that come out with a Tru Blu produced, Rugby Challenge 3 game. They are currently working on rugby's nearest relative and have the right talent to do the job. The only problem I can see, is that they have Rugby League Live 3, a future Don Bradman game, La Crosse and Dirt Track keeping them busy.

I wouldn't like to see Wicked Witch doing a Union game, as it's the opinion of many that they've half baked AFL after Big Ant's much better start and don't show the scale of ambition that Big Ant do.

I'd prefer to see Big Ant step into the arena as they'd bring more than just a World Cup money-grab.

Luigi came straight out and said

"Sidhe is not developing Rugby Challenge 3."

But make of that what you will. He also said

"Big Ant is not developing Rugby Challenge 3."

Which is odd cause he should be worrying about his own house IMO.

So what does that all mean... very little, but you are right.... World Cup means Release, so I'd be very surprised if nothing happened... I'd be delighted if Big Ant got the job.... now to play the waiting game. Smile

Or not... imagine if they split the Hub and had a section for Rugby League Players and Union Players... and then in either franchises game you could tap into those created players.... Some Rugby Union fans should start making players now.... Wink
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”
Well things just got a bit more interesting today. Screenshots of Rugby World Cup 2015 have been released and has been developed by HB studios with Big Ben again. This isn't all too exciting because of the flop which was Rugby 15. However, it does make this post on the Rugby Challenge 2 forums by maddyman more plausible (this being a response from SARU as to whether the Springboks will be in a RWC game):

"Hi David

SA Rugby is in the process of developing a licensed digital interactive gaming product with HES Interactive, which will include the Springbok and Springbok Sevens national teams as well as the respective Super Rugby franchises and regional (Currie Cup) teams. The game is due to be released in September. The South African rugby teams will therefore not feature in the 2015 Rugby World Cup video game.

Many thanks.

Regards"

So if this turns out to be true, we will be in the unfamiliar position of having two rugby games release in the same year... also we may have our first rugby game featuring sevens rugby.
I'm even a little excited by that but find it odd that HES/TB (as bad as they can be) haven't said anything only 2 months out, but they also have a history of being super secret when going against competition. If BA are involved, surely there would be a player creator for unlicenced teams. I call bs or ww.
Big Ant are not involved in a Rugby game.

Big Ant Studios store at www.BigAnt.com
I feel for the Rugby Union guys.. Ross just ripped that Band-Aid off without any warning :p, But it's gotta be better than Rugby 15.... right?
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”
(07-20-2015, 02:48 PM)Ruck Wrote: I feel for the Rugby Union guys.. Ross just ripped that Band-Aid off without any warning :p, But it's gotta be better than Rugby 15.... right?

In the way that it could not be worse, I agree.

Big Ant Studios store at www.BigAnt.com
(07-20-2015, 02:48 PM)Ruck Wrote: I feel for the Rugby Union guys.. Ross just ripped that Band-Aid off without any warning :p, But it's gotta be better than Rugby 15.... right?

You are 100% right about it being like a Band-Aid being ripped off. That would be number 1 on my list of most gutting pieces of video game news for 2015, by a good margin.

I'm sure if Ross and team at Big Ant could have managed to make one he would have.

If there is an HES/Tru Blu produced game, it looks likely (without someone lying) that Wicked Witch or someone completely new are possibly making a new Union game.

I don't dislike Wicked Witch, from what I understand they try their best and are gradually getting better. If they happen to be making a game, I'd give them a chance.

Sidhe have had two cracks already and had mixed results in different areas to the also mixed results of HB with Rugby World Cup 2011. I'd really only be extra interested if they took a more active interest in listening to their fans, toning down the sarcasm and thinly-disguised vitriol. When you get past that, they're a good team, but have said they aren't making a union game.

Unless of course they meant that they aren't making "Rugby Challenge 3", but have had Tru Blu choose to re-brand it.

As for HB's new game? They've been in Rugby nose-dive since '08 arrived in 2007 and I don't think even a return to slightly above Rugby 2011 would satisfy anyone. They'd need a modern game to the level of '08 MINIMUM. I can't see that happening. Nose-dives seem hard for a lot of development teams to pull out of.

(07-20-2015, 04:04 PM)Ross Wrote:

You're right, but it's a gut punch for me this. The worst news. Luckily I have my cricket and a new League soon to marginally soften it. SadSadSadSadSadSadSad

(07-20-2015, 04:04 PM)Ross Wrote:

They may have improved the gameplay over the year, but I wouldn't put my hopes up for a huge improvement in the rugby experience. Here is what has been posted as features for the game on a South African distributions site:

"We bring them:
Actual Rugby World Cup rules
Official content: rugby teams and players from the best teams in the World
Full, official statistics from OPTA: individual players, teams, match stats…
Local multiplayer for up to 4 players

Improvements over Rugby 15:
Gameplay – New dedicated tutorial mode
Refined specific sequences: mauls, rucks, lineouts… Tips to help players
Graphics – More fluid player movements, More stadiums
Audience waving flags
Artificial Intelligence – More realistic AI positioning

The World Cup Experience:
Official kits, players and jerseys from the most important teams in the rugby world
The game’s World Cup mode allows the player to jump in at any key moment of the RWC
Teams’ cinematic introduction before a game starts
Teams’ hymns before and during games
Cinematic outro (eg. Your team winning the Webb Ellis cup)"

Slightly worrying that audience waving flags is worthy of being posted as a feature...

I have two further concerns for this game. Firstly, they have the World Cup licensing, but does that necessarily mean they have the team licenses for all countries such as NZ, SA and Australia (mentioning those as they have had previous involvement/have allegedly been in talks with Tru Blu over licensing)? Note that they didn't state they have all the official kits, players and jerseys just the most important teams.

Secondly, it's a world cup game. Which means we may lose all the club rugby options from the previous game.

Possibly my 'favourite' feature is more stadiums... not difficult when your previous game only had one generic stadium.
(07-20-2015, 06:30 PM)Saulan Wrote: They may have improved the gameplay over the year, but I wouldn't put my hopes up for a huge improvement in the rugby experience. Here is what has been posted as features for the game on a South African distributions site:

"We bring them:
Actual Rugby World Cup rules
Official content: rugby teams and players from the best teams in the World
Full, official statistics from OPTA: individual players, teams, match stats…
Local multiplayer for up to 4 players

Improvements over Rugby 15:
Gameplay – New dedicated tutorial mode
Refined specific sequences: mauls, rucks, lineouts… Tips to help players
Graphics – More fluid player movements, More stadiums
Audience waving flags
Artificial Intelligence – More realistic AI positioning

The World Cup Experience:
Official kits, players and jerseys from the most important teams in the rugby world
The game’s World Cup mode allows the player to jump in at any key moment of the RWC
Teams’ cinematic introduction before a game starts
Teams’ hymns before and during games
Cinematic outro (eg. Your team winning the Webb Ellis cup)"

Slightly worrying that audience waving flags is worthy of being posted as a feature...

I have two further concerns for this game. Firstly, they have the World Cup licensing, but does that necessarily mean they have the team licenses for all countries such as NZ, SA and Australia (mentioning those as they have had previous involvement/have allegedly been in talks with Tru Blu over licensing)? Note that they didn't state they have all the official kits, players and jerseys just the most important teams.

Secondly, it's a world cup game. Which means we may lose all the club rugby options from the previous game.

Possibly my 'favourite' feature is more stadiums... not difficult when your previous game only had one generic stadium.

Good to see you on here Saulan - some interesting (but not confidence inspiring) information there. I share a lot of the same concerns as you.

The wording of informational releases has often given a glimpse at the mindset of those making a game and 'audience waving flags' sounds like something to go on the list of features at something like, maybe number 25?

There's no talk of being able to edit anything and I heard Rugby 15 was pathetic and worse still than Rugby World Cup 2011. It appears that they definitely aren't showing the actual All Blacks in the screenshots released, so not being able to edit the names and appearances of that squad would be just plain crap.

HB have had a habit in their last two games of shying away from showing the faces of the players and I think it's for two reasons.

1) The faces probably look woeful.
2) They're scared of letting people have an editor in case they get sued or something and they don't want players realising what the players look like in the unlicensed teams.

I really hope if HES are releasing a rugby game, that they hurry up and get some info out. This whole, "lets wait and see what they've got" game that both sides played out in the 2011 games, was detrimental to the quality of Rugby gaming overall.

They were both so far down the path with their games that it wouldn't have made much of a difference to what each other were doing anyhow.