Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Expansion
I'd support that... there was something about a Raiders vs. Steelers game... their case is as good as the Bears IMO.
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”
I wrote my earlier post on my mobile, so I didn't go into much detail.

Ultimately, expansion depends on whether it will drive a higher price for TV rights. The major television networks (Nine, Seven and Ten) don't care about what people want to watch outside of the state capitals. Only the ratings of the capital cities matter, because that is where those networks operate and where they sell their advertising. The areas outside the capital cities are covered by the regional networks, who don't get much of a say. So if teams on the Central Coast of NSW, the Ipswich area or Central Queensland would bring in more viewers from those regions, Nine simply couldn't car less. That is why people keep talking up a second Brisbane team. Increased viewer numbers in Brisbane is something that Nine does care about. The Brisbane Bombers bid would be a new team with no history behind it. I'd rather see an old local team like the Redcliffe Dolphins get promoted to the NRL that creating a Bombers team.

The Central Coast Bears would be good because it would be like a return of the North Sydney Bears (who still play in the NSW Cup). They would already have a supporter base and junior clubs. Before the last expansion period was postponed they had even signed up members and started selling merchandise.

The West Coast Pirates are the official bid of the WARL. They already have a junior team and Perth had a team in the past but it went bankrupt because they were being forced to pay the travel and accommodation costs of every visiting team.

Wellington in NZ and Papua New Guinea are both hoping to bid for a spot, but there is serious doubt about whether they could really support an NRL team. The NZ Warriors in Auckland have been pulled back from the brink of bankruptcy several times.

The Central Qld, PNG, Ipswich and Wellington bids are the least developed.

The Central Coast Bears and Pirates bids are the most developed.

The Brisbane Bombers bid lies in between but is backed by rich investors and has the advantage of being based in a capital city.

(06-06-2015, 01:31 PM)SOR Wrote: What about the return of the Steelers? Anyone? No? Okay Sad

The Steelers couldn't survive financially without St George and St George would have no talent without the Illawarra juniors. We are together for the long haul.
(06-06-2015, 09:01 AM)RhysC97 Wrote: Sounds enjoyable, might try it Smile

What do you mean by 'expansion'?
Sorry, I'm abit slow haha Big Grin

Expansion means putting another team in the Competition (if that's possible) or replacing an existing one as you had to in RLL2.

Thanks for the replies. I think the team I like the look of most is the Brisbane Bombers. I could also, if their logo isn't available, use one such as the Newcastle Jets logo without starting too fR from the bomber image. I'm not keen on the Pirates logo.

Thinking about team selection so far, I'm looking at guys who've been released by clubs and moved elsewhere already this year. Guys who've been in and around first grade for years but never play and lower league players who are there for a variety of reasons, and guys who moved but haven't had a look in at NRL level. So far:

1. Greg Eden
2. Marmin Barba
7. Beau Henry
8. Russell Packer
10. Ryan Bailey
11. Gareth Hock
13. Neville Costigan
Depending on how signing players in the game works and how hard you want to make it, you could create a new team, with made up players all rated 0 and simulate the first season. At the end of the year just see who is left in free agents and sign them up.

Assuming you don't get fired.
(06-06-2015, 06:09 PM)benrhino Wrote:
(06-06-2015, 09:01 AM)RhysC97 Wrote: Sounds enjoyable, might try it Smile

What do you mean by 'expansion'?
Sorry, I'm abit slow haha Big Grin

Expansion means putting another team in the Competition (if that's possible) or replacing an existing one as you had to in RLL2.

Thanks for the replies. I think the team I like the look of most is the Brisbane Bombers. I could also, if their logo isn't available, use one such as the Newcastle Jets logo without starting too fR from the bomber image. I'm not keen on the Pirates logo.

Thinking about team selection so far, I'm looking at guys who've been released by clubs and moved elsewhere already this year. Guys who've been in and around first grade for years but never play and lower league players who are there for a variety of reasons, and guys who moved but haven't had a look in at NRL level. So far:

1. Greg Eden
2. Marmin Barba
7. Beau Henry
8. Russell Packer
10. Ryan Bailey
11. Gareth Hock
13. Neville Costigan

5. Michael Oldfield

6. James Maloney (Your marquee signing)

9. Kurt Gidley

12. Beau Scott
I did something similar myself in RLL2. I used this website: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-leag...tion-2015/

Basically I used this list to see which players were off contract for the upcoming season and put together a realistic squad of those players to enter into the NRL, similar to Gold Coast Titans strategy where they poached established free agents from other NRL clubs (Preston Campbell, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey etc).

I used the Newtown Jets, mainly cause they would have been my local team where I grew up but they were out of the competition before I was born. I replaced the Sharks as they were going through the Peptide drama at the time and I theoretically/unrealistically kicked them out of the comp for the scandal. I copied all the Sharks players into free agency so that they were available in the coming off season (after completing their "suspension").

For example, using the link from Zero Tackle, here's a rough example of a team you could put together (just a rough mock-up, not intended to be the best team available):

1) Billy Slater
2) Michael Gordon
3) James Roberts
4) Kirisome Auvaa
5) Reece Robinson
6) Chad Townsend
7) Trent Hodkinson
8) Ben Hannant
9) Cameron King
10) Ben Murdoch-Masila
11) Lewis Brown
12) Kyle Turner
13) Adam Docker

14) Joel Luani
15) Eddy Pettybourne
16) Alex Glenn
17) Glenn Hall
^ Honestly, that team strikes me as top 8 material.
(06-07-2015, 12:48 AM)SOR Wrote: ^ Honestly, that team strikes me as top 8 material.

Definitely packed with a fair amount of youth/potential. Injuries would be a concern with a few of those guys. Didn't want to go too crazy packing it with Origin stars (re. Salary Cap)
I'm not too sure about the forwards but the back line is very strong and I personally rate Townsend. Hodkinson is good when he's "on" as well.
rll2 is so easy iv put a under 20s team in nrl and still won it on legend i also beat ppl online with 20s as well maybe im just boss ha