Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Expansion
(06-16-2015, 08:11 AM)Bunnies_1 Wrote:
(06-10-2015, 09:44 AM)SOR Wrote: ^ Why not Souths?

Why not Roosters? One of the lowest supported teams in the NRL. Fudges crowd attendance, in fact their season ticket holders sit on the opposite side from the TV cameras so it looks like a crowd there but that's always half emptied. Plus the Roosters are #FOREVERINOURSHADOW...

Rabbitohs are a joke, that's why.

There is a reason that "[email protected]" exists and the rest of the league hates you guys (Moreso than Melbourne these days).

The Rabbits first of all aren't exactly admirable players. You've got Isaac Luke with the nickname of "Bully" who is a niggly little shit who runs and hides when anyone tries to get him back. He's also a diver, a homophobe and a bit of a dick. Then you have the Burgess clan with their leader (Sam) feeling like it's okay to grab other players by their testicles whilst Luke recently got arrested in Arizona before moving to Manly. You then have Greg Inglis who turned his back on the entire state of NSW and has a history of bashing women, John Sutton who admits to being a "bra boy", also got arrested in Arizona and is probably the least well spoken football player in the history of the league (and that's saying something). Away from the big stars Kirisome Auva'a has a history of beating women as well yet Souths have kept him under contract. Clearly Souths aren't against keeping players who beat people up.

Then you move onto the fans. Perhaps the most arrogant fans in the league based on absolutely nothing up until last season when you guys finally won one which was your first in 42 years. Most of the fans (not all) are what you would class as bogan Australians with very little in the way of education. Evidence of this was last year during Souths grand final celebrations when a Souths fan pulled down his pants revealing his penis in front of a live television camera. I also hear there was an incident at ANZ Stadium this past Friday involving Souths fans.

And you have the media love in. Every time you tune into a Channel Nine Souths game it's a South Sydney fan meeting. Ray Warren talking about how great the Burgess Brothers are and blabbering on about how Greg Inglis is the greatest athlete on earth whilst we get constant camera shots of Russell Crowe, Julie Burgess and anyone else affiliated with the club. If you watched NRL Grand Final coverage last year on Channel Nine you'd know just how bad it was. Almost nothing about the Bulldogs but all about Souths.

And finally the referee decisions. I'm not one for conspiracy theories but when the numbers are in front of me it's hard to go against them. Souths for the past 2 seasons have topped the penalty charts. They constantly get unfair penalties awarded to them and every 50/50 call seems to go there way. The constant leg ups are a huge issue for me.

So say what you will about the Roosters. We have a couple of players who have broken the law or are a bit grubby (Pearce, Friend and JWH come to mind) but in general we're a club who follows the rules, don't dive and generally have players that the children can look up to as athletes and role models. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for South Sydney.

The hatred for Souths is real. Kick them out and give Perth a team.
(06-17-2015, 04:12 PM)SOR Wrote:
(06-16-2015, 08:11 AM)Bunnies_1 Wrote:
(06-10-2015, 09:44 AM)SOR Wrote: ^ Why not Souths?

Why not Roosters? One of the lowest supported teams in the NRL. Fudges crowd attendance, in fact their season ticket holders sit on the opposite side from the TV cameras so it looks like a crowd there but that's always half emptied. Plus the Roosters are #FOREVERINOURSHADOW...

Rabbitohs are a joke, that's why.

There is a reason that "[email protected]" exists and the rest of the league hates you guys (Moreso than Melbourne these days).

The Rabbits first of all aren't exactly admirable players. You've got Isaac Luke with the nickname of "Bully" who is a niggly little shit who runs and hides when anyone tries to get him back. He's also a diver, a homophobe and a bit of a dick. Then you have the Burgess clan with their leader (Sam) feeling like it's okay to grab other players by their testicles whilst Luke recently got arrested in Arizona before moving to Manly. You then have Greg Inglis who turned his back on the entire state of NSW and has a history of bashing women, John Sutton who admits to being a "bra boy", also got arrested in Arizona and is probably the least well spoken football player in the history of the league (and that's saying something). Away from the big stars Kirisome Auva'a has a history of beating women as well yet Souths have kept him under contract. Clearly Souths aren't against keeping players who beat people up.

Then you move onto the fans. Perhaps the most arrogant fans in the league based on absolutely nothing up until last season when you guys finally won one which was your first in 42 years. Most of the fans (not all) are what you would class as bogan Australians with very little in the way of education. Evidence of this was last year during Souths grand final celebrations when a Souths fan pulled down his pants revealing his penis in front of a live television camera. I also hear there was an incident at ANZ Stadium this past Friday involving Souths fans.

And you have the media love in. Every time you tune into a Channel Nine Souths game it's a South Sydney fan meeting. Ray Warren talking about how great the Burgess Brothers are and blabbering on about how Greg Inglis is the greatest athlete on earth whilst we get constant camera shots of Russell Crowe, Julie Burgess and anyone else affiliated with the club. If you watched NRL Grand Final coverage last year on Channel Nine you'd know just how bad it was. Almost nothing about the Bulldogs but all about Souths.

And finally the referee decisions. I'm not one for conspiracy theories but when the numbers are in front of me it's hard to go against them. Souths for the past 2 seasons have topped the penalty charts. They constantly get unfair penalties awarded to them and every 50/50 call seems to go there way. The constant leg ups are a huge issue for me.

So say what you will about the Roosters. We have a couple of players who have broken the law or are a bit grubby (Pearce, Friend and JWH come to mind) but in general we're a club who follows the rules, don't dive and generally have players that the children can look up to as athletes and role models. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for South Sydney.

The hatred for Souths is real. Kick them out and give Perth a team.

I don't mind the storm and Rabbitohs, my least favourite team is manly.Big Grin
Yeah but it's different for you, you're from Queensland (I assume) and Queensland fans love the Storm and Rabbitohs because of Inglis, Slater, Cronk etc.

Same reason why I like the Titans (Bird) and Cowboys (Tamou) more than the Broncos. They have representative players from my state who I like.
Fair enough.
I like Bird. Didn't know he beat his girlfriend though. Might have to stop liking him, can't support people who bash others.
(06-18-2015, 01:33 AM)roostersule2 Wrote: He glassed her man, he is pure filth.

Yep. It's why he got sacked from the sharkies.
(06-18-2015, 12:13 AM)SOR Wrote: I like Bird. Didn't know he beat his girlfriend though. Might have to stop liking him, can't support people who bash others.

You didn't hear about him smashing a glass over his girlfriend's face? It was pretty big news at the time.
It was the reason he ended up at Catalan if I remember correctly. He was going to go to Bradford but couldn't get a UK visa, France was a bit less strict.
Getting back on topic
An expansion team doesn't neccesarily have to be a bunch of reserve or fringe first graders.
Remember the Titans had the likes of Luke Bailey,Preston Campbell, Scott Prince, Gavin Cooper all on board. Plus the likes of Mark Mini, Laffranchi, Chris Walker, Brad Meyers, Matt Rogers, Jake Webster and Luke Swain and more on board.
The Titans came around in 2007 and they didn't play a single debutant until 2008. So every player in their first year had played at least one NRL match.

I think having established FGers is key but also a stronger influence of fringe players than normal.
Perhaps thinking about it

1 Nathan Gardner
2 Edrick Lee
3 James Roberts
4 John Folou
5 Akuila Uate
6 Benji Marshall
7 Peter Wallace
8 Ben Matulino
9 Jayden Hodges
10 Sam Kasiano
11 Ryan James
12 Alex Glenn
13 Dene Halatau

14 Kodi Nikorima
15 SioSuia Tokeaho
16 Willie Mason
17 Dave Taylor

18 Carlin Anderson
19 Toafofoa Sipely
20 Luke Page
21 Mason Lino
22 Jayden Nikorima
23 Jack Buchanan
24 Abraham Papalii
25 Keith Galloway
That's an interesting team Shaun, certainly looks like the mix you were after.

I don't know how the NRL does expansion normally. As they don't have a draft or expansion draft which the American model follows.

All those players the Titans had, were they out of contract the season before the team started up, or did they get to cherry pick players from other teams? I remember they signed Richie Mathers from Leeds (who unfortunately blew his knee out for the second time in two years after about 5 games) but can't remember if there was a fee involved or he was OCC.