Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you prefer Aussie Rules, Rugby League, or Rugby Union?? WHY?
In order of most favourite to least:
Soccer - (aka Fußball or Football) - I've been playing since I was 3 years old and I remember watching Germany win Euro 96 with my grandfather. Lots of good memories and it's become much more popular of late in the US.
Rugby League - It was my first exposure to rugby and one I've thoroughly enjoyed watching (and playing). I really like how quickly play is resumed after a tackle and the flow that the game has.
Rugby Union - I have a lot more TV exposure and it's much easier to find Union clubs in the US and Germany than League. Depending on who you watch Union can be a lot slower than league but it does have it's own merits. Possession of the ball is important but where the ball is on the field is just as important.
American Football - Living in the US this is all over every form of media. People forget there are many levels (NFL, College, High school and even younger). The NFL has some of the best athletes but the college level is the most interesting, there are some teams who focus on throwing all the time (Spread and West Coast offenses) and other teams who run the ball before all else (Option and Triple Option). The variety is what does it for me, the NFL lacks that IMHO.
AFL - I've seen the odd match on ESPN at 3am,some of the kicks and marks are very impressive but the sport as a whole just doesn't engage me.

My overall sports top 7:
1. Soccer
2. League
3. Union
4. Ice Hockey
5. Lacrosse
6. American Football
7. Cricket
(04-19-2016, 12:30 PM)FcBayernDM Wrote: In order of most favourite to least:
Soccer - (aka Fußball or Football) - I've been playing since I was 3 years old and I remember watching Germany win Euro 96 with my grandfather. Lots of good memories and it's become much more popular of late in the US.
Rugby League - It was my first exposure to rugby and one I've thoroughly enjoyed watching (and playing). I really like how quickly play is resumed after a tackle and the flow that the game has.
Rugby Union - I have a lot more TV exposure and it's much easier to find Union clubs in the US and Germany than League. Depending on who you watch Union can be a lot slower than league but it does have it's own merits. Possession of the ball is important but where the ball is on the field is just as important.
American Football - Living in the US this is all over every form of media. People forget there are many levels (NFL, College, High school and even younger). The NFL has some of the best athletes but the college level is the most interesting, there are some teams who focus on throwing all the time (Spread and West Coast offenses) and other teams who run the ball before all else (Option and Triple Option). The variety is what does it for me, the NFL lacks that IMHO.
AFL - I've seen the odd match on ESPN at 3am,some of the kicks and marks are very impressive but the sport as a whole just doesn't engage me.

My overall sports top 7:
1. Soccer
2. League
3. Union
4. Ice Hockey
5. Lacrosse
6. American Football
7. Cricket

Interesting - it's not often you find a German or American who knows anything about Rugby League, let alone has it as one of their top sports.

In my experience Germans tend to be almost entirely unaware that there are other forms of football in the world other than soccer.

How did you come across Rugby League?
(04-25-2016, 12:51 PM)sanzar Wrote: Interesting - it's not often you find a German or American who knows anything about Rugby League, let alone has it as one of their top sports.

In my experience Germans tend to be almost entirely unaware that there are other forms of football in the world other than soccer.

How did you come across Rugby League?
I had traveled to Australia back in 2003 during the build up to the Union World Cup. Hearing about the upcoming World Cup peaked my interest in Rugby but of course at the time I didn't know about Union and League nor what the differences were. During the course of my trip I was exposed to quite a bit of "rugby" (which in retrospect turned out to be a lot of league). That's how I got introduced to RL, upon returning home I was really only ever able to find Union (and the occasional AFL match) on TV but that has since changed given the availability of online streams and such.

Regarding sport in Germany: #1 sport nationwide is definitely Soccer however Handball is very popular in the northern part of the country, drawing relatively large crowds. American Football is also very popular with the GFL drawing some very large crowds.
I have to be honest that as an Englishman I haven't watched the AFL much but do own the game. I understand it and like the format it's just rarely aired here though I do follow Richmond.

I prefer Union over League honestly though, but love both in their own way, I just like rucking and scrumming.
The trouble with being English is that only the Americans actually like you for that.