Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you prefer Aussie Rules, Rugby League, or Rugby Union?? WHY?
1. Rugby League and Union would be equal first - grew up playing League but fell in love with Union through work and Uni in my 20s. I follow both pretty well equally these days.

2. AFL - The old man is a west Austalian so I've learned to enjoy the game with him, but it's still a fair way behind the Rugby codes.

3. American Football - I'm not a massive follower, but I enjoy the tactics of the game and the collisions.

4. Soccer - I don't really like the sport that much and Australian soccer fans have a tendency to be self-righteous d-bags (not all, but I cringe every time I hear someone reply "I follow the world game, and it's called "football"" to the question of which footy team they follow). All the same, I enjoy the fan-fair of the World Cups. Can't stand the EPL though...
Rugby League is like trying to solve a mathematical equation and i really enjoy how the game utilises the space of the ground...

AFL - I grew up with it so I'm bias, but I like how it's an attacking style game. High scores, big grabs, contests around the ground etc..

AFL live to date is the best video game of any AFL game by quite a margin..

Both are good for their own reasons.
There's a lot to like in all of them, respecting the worlds best athletes and what they can do is where my head is at - I just can't get enough!

That said, at the moment:

NFL - The athletes are the best in the world by a large margin, having worked with the NFL for five years I saw this first hand in 90's and they even more incredible today.

Rugby League - The game's in a good place relative to those below, it's on an upward trajectory and getting better. The way the NRL handled the drugs saga compared to the AFL speaks volumes and good management in general has lead to a better game on the field.

Rugby Union - I grew up playing Union and loved the game, so it is sad that I think the kicking and ultra-technical penalties has killed it in my opinion.

Aussie Rules - Despite going every week, the current state of actual play has me not currently liking AFL much at all, not because of Carlton being so poor but because of the uncontested possessions and mega-flooding. The current interpretation of the rules of the game have killed the spectacle and stuffed the game - the AFL need to invest in serious removal of modern rules interpretations - lets get back to predictable judicial outcomes - the KISS principle is required.

Big Ant Studios store at www.BigAnt.com
Yeah I'd agree with that, in fact I think the VFL is more fun to watch these days than the AFL because of those reasons, it's a bit more like the game was 20+ years ago. Classic footy, a nice balance of all skills.
As a New Zealander it's rugby and league for me.

I played both during my school years.

I used to follow league a lot closer but less so now due to the fact it's an Aussie comp, I don't care about SOO, the Warriors are inept as an organisation - and now Kearney has decided that results don't matter on end of year tours. I used to watch all NRL matches a weekend but now it's probably just the Warriors and one other.

I think the rugby v league thing gets a bit stupid at times, rugby haters annoy me the same as league haters.

I don't understand AFL so can't comment on it.

The league game is better than the current rugby game.
League is my favourite, because I've pretty much grown up with it. Got introduced to it from a friend via Rugby League 2 back in the Sidhe days. I find it easier to follow, barely any complex rules, plus it seems more fast paced than union, though maybe that's just me.

Union is my second favourite, mainly got into it because of my grandpa. He was the coach of the local uni team, so my family and I would all go out to watch them play every now and then. Still do. Did see the Brumbies play when they came to Wagga, which was an awesome experience.

I used to be really into AFL around 2010-2011, but my interest kind of dwindled over the years and I'm not sure why. I will still watch it with my mum though. If it's a Saturday or Sunday arvo, we'll put on a game of AFL, though my mum seems to get really into it.

Can't say I've watched a proper NFL game, but I do watch YouTubers like LazarBeam and Chris Smoove play Madden, so close enough? Haha, they both manage to keep me entertained, and I'm kind of picking up the rules as I watch.

Not a huge fan of soccer, but I'll keep an eye on it if it's on. Like if it's the World Cup, I'll watch. Other than that, nah, not for me.
(09-26-2015, 06:52 PM)Ross Wrote: There's a lot to like in all of them, respecting the worlds best athletes and what they can do is where my head is at - I just can't get enough!

That said, at the moment:

NFL - The athletes are the best in the world by a large margin, having worked with the NFL for five years I saw this first hand in 90's and they even more incredible today.

Rugby League - The game's in a good place relative to those below, it's on an upward trajectory and getting better. The way the NRL handled the drugs saga compared to the AFL speaks volumes and good management in general has lead to a better game on the field.

Rugby Union - I grew up playing Union and loved the game, so it is sad that I think the kicking and ultra-technical penalties has killed it in my opinion.

Aussie Rules - Despite going every week, the current state of actual play has me not currently liking AFL much at all, not because of Carlton being so poor but because of the uncontested possessions and mega-flooding. The current interpretation of the rules of the game have killed the spectacle and stuffed the game - the AFL need to invest in serious removal of modern rules interpretations - lets get back to predictable judicial outcomes - the KISS principle is required.

The way AFL is going, it will be turned into Soccer. They should learn to give the fans what they want, instead of making the experience a pain.
That's what I like about Football!
(12-26-2015, 02:23 AM)AFL Wrote: The way AFL is going, it will be turned into Soccer. They should learn to give the fans what they want, instead of making the experience a pain.

(A little off topic here Smile )

Sadly I think it will be worse, it won't be attracting soccer fans any time soon, by trying to appease and appeal to everyone it will become a sport that appeals to no one - rules wise it's probably the most mismanaged professional sport in the world.

In a "game" sense, we had a reasonably balanced sport that lasted a hundred years with minor changes, the sport is now so unbalanced towards the offense that it's hard to watch - there is no reward for a good tackle and players would rather shepherd and corral the ball carrier than commit.

The rule changes in AFL remind me of introducing rabbits into Australia, then introducing foxes as the rabbits are out of control... it's a never ending series of patches on the sport - every bloody year!

Big Ant Studios store at www.BigAnt.com
(12-26-2015, 09:09 AM)Ross Wrote: (A little off topic here Smile )

Sadly I think it will be worse, it won't be attracting soccer fans any time soon, by trying to appease and appeal to everyone it will become a sport that appeals to no one - rules wise it's probably the most mismanaged professional sport in the world.

In a "game" sense, we had a reasonably balanced sport that lasted a hundred years with minor changes, the sport is now so unbalanced towards the offense that it's hard to watch - there is no reward for a good tackle and players would rather shepherd and corral the ball carrier than commit.

The rule changes in AFL remind me of introducing rabbits into Australia, then introducing foxes as the rabbits are out of control... it's a never ending series of patches on the sport - every bloody year!

Yep, the fans, the players and the coaches all hate the newer rule changes. It's a total mess. Although, I think the basic needs of the fans has to be looked at. No more rule changes and bring back State of origin would be a nice start. But I could see it fulling apart if it was trying to appease to every last person. On topic, I prefer Aussie rules. And why? Because its the greatest sport, even though they try to ruin it with rule changes each year. Big Grin
That's what I like about Football!
I much prefer AFL,there is far more excitement in the games duration,no stoppages like in Rugby with the play the ball and the mauls......I still enjoy both rugby codes.