Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Big Ant Cricket - Bowling (How would you like to see it done?)
I'm excited for this game! But we probably won't get it till this time next year. Am I right?
I'd like to see fast bowlers getting proper swing and seam movement and the spinners getting turn, drift and bounce. And bowling should be significantly influenced by weather and pitch conditions.
There should be realistic wear and tear of the ball and the pitch, the ball while it's new would be helpful for the fast bowlers with spinners proving useful when the ball loses its shine. Perhaps we could have reverse swing later in the innings as well?
And I hope there is no slow motion fast bowling! That just does not look good and is a big turn off.
My priorities for Big Ant Studios Cricket games
1- Play real
2- Feel real
3- Look real

I'd like to see footmarks so the spinners have something to aim for!! And as close as lifelike bowling styles?
(12-07-2012, 12:30 PM)Bunnies_1 Wrote: I'd like to see footmarks so the spinners have something to aim for!! And as close as lifelike bowling styles?

I wouldn't mind if Dale Steyn does not bowl like himself in the game as long as it is an authentic looking fast bowler's action because we can't really expect Big Ant to go on recording and modeling every real bowler's actions.

As long I can easily tell apart an off spinner from a leg spinner I will be happy! I know this should be expected but Cricket games over the years have been such that even expected things are becoming feature requests.
1- Play real
2- Feel real
3- Look real

What if the odd ball nips off the seam every now and then or more so on a green top (turf) wicket? As a bowler i see a green (turf) deck my eyes light up and the ball moves around like crazy! Maybe it can be an attribute for the bowler that has a good seam position like Siddle V's someone who doesnt (Johnson) would use it to good affect?
I don't think we need different animations for every bowler, but it would be good of there was a bit of variety. Mitchell Johnson, Peter Suddle and Ben Hilfenhaus all bowled the same in Ashes 09!
Up the mighty Eels Exclamation Cool
(10-17-2012, 06:54 AM)Ross Wrote:
(10-17-2012, 01:29 AM)C A Iversen Wrote: 5) being able to hide the bowling marker from offline mates in multi-player. Let them see where you placed it roughly sure, but once it goes invisible the marker could've been moved a little radius away from where it was last seen and better bowlers could perhaps shift this more than others.

We have a mantra of least possible HUD and least possible camera cuts, plus I don't like quick time games so this will not be "dance dance cricket" where you have to time specific ranges of button presses to catch etc...

The bowling has no marker on the pitch, the batsmen will have to play it as they see it Smile

Was thinking about this Ross, I like the idea of the batsman having to play it as they see it, but just am wondering how a couple of things work. If you have no general idea at all of where the ball is being pitched how will you play it? I know if it's the behind the batsman (3rd person style) view this might be quite do-able.

In broadcast view the ball would be well past you before you could instinctively play at it wouldn't it? At least most times. When you are playing cricket the ball seems super fast from the bowlers end, but when batting you can see a lot from that end and ready yourself for the ball based on how the arm is swinging, the release, then you watch it like a hawk for swing, pitching, and deviation off a pitch. Not sure how you'd see all that in a video game, particularly from a broadcast view when playing some off-line with a friend.

Then the second thing I'm wondering about, how on earth will the bowler know where he's positioning the ball? In real life you have a reasonably good aiming mechanism in your arm and hand, so you are able to see where your aiming. Not sure how this will work in your cricket.

If your able to do away with aiming circles, dots or reticules that's awesome if it works well, but I'm not how your going to make it work with any degree of precision. Certainly hope you guys can though. Just a bit worried that something radical is going on without the fans having any insight at all and then we may hate it.

If you do use anything for an initial aiming, the best would be a smallish dot that disappears when the bowler has decided an approximate area, then after it does, he can relocate it from there invisibly a good distance in any direction. That way the batsman wouldn't know exactly where it was.

Still, I'm excited to hear how your aiming is implemented for both bowler and batsman. Smile

I think with bowling, other than what's already been mentioned, I'd like to see the pitch come more into play.
Say you select a fast bowler. You select a fast, seam upright delivery.
But then, you're playing on a 5th day pitch, so the ball you bowl hits a crack in the pitch and seams appreciably back into the batsman after swinging out. Or you bowl the same ball on an off stump line, and it moves away just enough off the pitch to catch the outside edge.
Same selection from the bowler, different result based on the pitch.
Green wickets could do the same, but also be harder to time as the ball comes through faster. Batsman's timing based on the bowlers arm action or whatever, pitch adds in a variable. Playing in India would be the reverse, batsmen would have to play much later due to the slow nature of the pitch.

Footmarks could also be used to vary the amount of spin a bowler gets if they land it in the right area. So bowling would be about skill, placement of the ball, out thinking the batsman, but also about a little bit of luck. Which is actually the case in real life a lot of the time too.

This would provide a more varied bowling experience, would require more thought about which bowlers were used when (rather than just selecting the bowler with the best stats), and would make bowling a more interesting part of the game. It would also make batting much more challenging as a by-product.
I was wondering if the bowling system also hides the variation we are going to bowl, for example as an off spinner I could bowl a normal delivery or the other one or the flipper so it would be great if the batsmen would have to watch the ball and play it and not know beforehand what type of delivery it is going to be.
1- Play real
2- Feel real
3- Look real

Would be nice to see bowlers shine the ball up as they make there way back to where they start there run up. Grunts & etc... Would be a nice touch depending on there efforts.