Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Big Ant Cricket - Bowling (How would you like to see it done?)
Even those who aren't colour blind struggle with the catching in Codemasters games. Can only imagine how hard it would be for you...

Their catching system is way too annoying!
Up the mighty Eels Exclamation Cool
(10-18-2012, 08:13 AM)Ross Wrote:
(10-17-2012, 10:50 PM)sharkies! Wrote:
(10-17-2012, 06:54 AM)Ross Wrote: We have a mantra of least possible HUD and least possible camera cuts, plus I don't like quick time games so this will not be "dance dance cricket" where you have to time specific ranges of button presses to catch etc...

This is an aspect of RLL2 that I love. There is the necessary HUD, and nothing else. Good signs for the cricket game.

Also, please don't use a colour change to signify when something should happen. I am colour blind, and I know quite a few other people who also had the problem in the codemaster's games of not knowing when the catch icon turned green. I had to guess. It was particularly disappointing to drop a catch that I'd worked to get, only to drop it because I never saw the icon turn green - I'd only notice the change to red (which was too late).

RLL2 is pretty good in this department, although with some of the better kickers (who have much smaller red zones), I can't always tell where the red zone starts.

If it's Ok I might run some screenshots past you to see if you have issues, must be really frustrating because to be honest while we consider vision impaired we haven't considered people who were colour blind. Sorry Sad

I would certainly be happy to do that. And can I say I really appreciate the fact that you guys are acknowledging the suggestions in these forums, and interacting with us!
I agree that the interaction with us - the fans, is fantastic.

Can't wait to see some screenshots and more details...
(10-17-2012, 06:54 AM)Ross Wrote: We have a mantra of least possible HUD and least possible camera cuts, plus I don't like quick time games so this will not be "dance dance cricket" where you have to time specific ranges of button presses to catch etc...

This is an aspect of RLL2 that I love. There is the necessary HUD, and nothing else. Good signs for the cricket game.

Also, please don't use a colour change to signify when something should happen. I am colour blind, and I know quite a few other people who also had the problem in the codemaster's games of not knowing when the catch icon turned green. I had to guess. It was particularly disappointing to drop a catch that I'd worked to get, only to drop it because I never saw the icon turn green - I'd only notice the change to red (which was too late).

RLL2 is pretty good in this department, although with some of the better kickers (who have much smaller red zones), I can't always tell where the red zone starts.

If it's Ok I might run some screenshots past you to see if you have issues, must be really frustrating because to be honest while we consider vision impaired we haven't considered people who were colour blind. Sorry Sad

One thing Ross may not have been aware of, is that the programmer doing our fielding mechanics is Red/Green colour blind, and he had the same problem with the catching on the codies games.
(10-19-2012, 01:27 PM)Mike Wrote:

One thing Ross may not have been aware of, is that the programmer doing our fielding mechanics is Red/Green colour blind, and he had the same problem with the catching on the codies games.

Well.... that's extra funny since he worked on the Codies game!! Smile

Big Ant Studios store at www.BigAnt.com
Every batsman has a weakness, so being able to uncover that should be the main focus of bowling. Whether they tend to have a rush of blood and play unnecessary shots, or just can't handle the short ball, there should always be a focus in your plan. Obviously as you reach the tail, the weaknesses become a lot easier to exploit as they're more common.

Same goes for a player's strengths. If you bowl a half volley on off stump to a top/middle order batsman, you should be expecting it to head to the ropes. Individuality in players is a big thing, and having the strengths and weaknesses a little more obvious would help to make it more apparent.

As for the actual system of bowling? My imagination doesn't go far beyond any cricket games of the past lol.
(10-20-2012, 06:28 AM)VictorTheViking Wrote: Every batsman has a weakness, so being able to uncover that should be the main focus of bowling. Whether they tend to have a rush of blood and play unnecessary shots, or just can't handle the short ball, there should always be a focus in your plan. Obviously as you reach the tail, the weaknesses become a lot easier to exploit as they're more common.

Same goes for a player's strengths. If you bowl a half volley on off stump to a top/middle order batsman, you should be expecting it to head to the ropes. Individuality in players is a big thing, and having the strengths and weaknesses a little more obvious would help to make it more apparent.

As for the actual system of bowling? My imagination doesn't go far beyond any cricket games of the past lol.

Have to agree here, you need to be able to have some sort of indication that your getting to an AI batsman. Even if it's not always poor shot selection, which of course would be good. There's other things you could also look out for, like the AI batsman's stance animation, might just subtly move a little differently indicating anything from slight discomfort with the previous delivery to genuine nervousness.

It doesn't have to be some over-the-top reaction, more a hint or clue in how they might look around, or they might look down at their bat a little, it could make bowling a little more interesting, as you'd enjoy wizzing a really dangerous ball down the track, because you'd feel it might be a genuinely good ball due to the batsman's reaction.

As I said in the first post though, you'd want to have it programmed in that you can't just easily keep bowling in the general area slowly zeroing in on that perfect delivery. A batsman would eventually get used to that ball type, length or line. You'd only have so many deliveries before he'd be used to it and you'd have to try something else.

With Big Ant cricket, I would like to see a change from other cricket games where you have the option with all bowlers to bowl all types of deliveries. I would like to see a button for their stock ball only and two buttons for special deliveries such as leg and off cutters, yorkers and bouncers depending on what the bowler is able to bowl. Also, many cricket games allow you to bowl reverse swing from the very start which is quite often impossible. instead, I would like to see it done by later on in the life of the ball (say overs 50-80 or whenever), there to be a button for the option of bowling reverse swing ONLY if the ball is in the right condition, the weather conditions are correct and if the bowlers reverse swing attributes are high enough. Nearly all bowlers cannot bowl every single type of delivery and I feel that if this was reflected in the game the game would end up being far more realistic.
(11-11-2012, 12:38 PM)edu1878 Wrote: With Big Ant cricket, I would like to see a change from other cricket games where you have the option with all bowlers to bowl all types of deliveries. I would like to see a button for their stock ball only and two buttons for special deliveries such as leg and off cutters, yorkers and bouncers depending on what the bowler is able to bowl. Also, many cricket games allow you to bowl reverse swing from the very start which is quite often impossible. instead, I would like to see it done by later on in the life of the ball (say overs 50-80 or whenever), there to be a button for the option of bowling reverse swing ONLY if the ball is in the right condition, the weather conditions are correct and if the bowlers reverse swing attributes are high enough. Nearly all bowlers cannot bowl every single type of delivery and I feel that if this was reflected in the game the game would end up being far more realistic.

Important to remember that some people like playing 10, 20 or 30 over games. In those ones reverse swing wouldn't ordinarily come into it, but perhaps should maybe be able to be switched on in the options, so that perhaps in the last 10-15% of the match that bowlers could do it.

yes that is true and that is a great idea, but with the shorter over matches maybe you could have slower bouncers or more of the new types of deliveries that have come into cricket since the inception of T20 cricket instead of reverse swing. but as I said, reverse swing is not always about the condition of the ball so if the bowler is good enough and/or the weather conditions are right then it could be bowled in the shorter forms of the game.