Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Big Ant Cricket - Bowling (How would you like to see it done?)
Bowling has had some been done well in some games, but never amazingly. Other than Shane Warne Cricket and a couple of other games, I've never felt that the developers captured that sense of a bowler being able to figure out a batsman and I'm interested in how you think they could do that and other ideas of how to make bowling much more interesting.

Here's some of my own ideas.

1) Very subtle and occasional animation variances in the batsman when you've bowled the pace, line and length that gets him nervous and drop his confidence slowly making him weaker and ready for a good wicket ball. Maybe he shuffles a little more playing the shot, or hunches his shoulders a little when he plays a short ball that got to him a little and you know you could probably jam in a yorker next. Perhaps the batsman will look around the field a little, or tap his bat on the ground. One of the biggest problems in other games is you just don't know when your bowling well. You see the same batsman react to the same ball that just beat him by hitting it out of the park and that's not that realistic unless he's faced 7 or 8 of them and is starting to get used to it.

2) Making it obvious your bowling well as the batsman has kind of just managed to poke it away, maybe push it out 3-4 metres from the bat or even nick it a little.

3) If you take too long (maybe 20-25 balls) figuring out a batsmans weakness at the time, he'll start hitting it well and you'll have to try something else and start working away at a different part of the pitch/delivery type and pace.

4) Being able to appeal manually for LBW. Maybe this could also make the batsman sweat if they really felt you were close and this'd also effect his confidence.

5) being able to hide the bowling marker from offline mates in multi-player. Let them see where you placed it roughly sure, but once it goes invisible the marker could've been moved a little radius away from where it was last seen and better bowlers could perhaps shift this more than others.

Anyhow, that's my ones for starters. I'm sure I'm missing some others out. Let's see what you think.

(10-17-2012, 01:29 AM)C A Iversen Wrote: 5) being able to hide the bowling marker from offline mates in multi-player. Let them see where you placed it roughly sure, but once it goes invisible the marker could've been moved a little radius away from where it was last seen and better bowlers could perhaps shift this more than others.

We have a mantra of least possible HUD and least possible camera cuts, plus I don't like quick time games so this will not be "dance dance cricket" where you have to time specific ranges of button presses to catch etc...

The bowling has no marker on the pitch, the batsmen will have to play it as they see it Smile

Big Ant Studios store at www.BigAnt.com
(10-17-2012, 06:54 AM)Ross Wrote: We have a mantra of least possible HUD and least possible camera cuts, plus I don't like quick time games so this will not be "dance dance cricket" where you have to time specific ranges of button presses to catch etc...

The bowling has no marker on the pitch, the batsmen will have to play it as they see it Smile

This is music to my ears! LOL! Biggest problem with all bat/ball games is that they just become quick time events. Tap the button at the right time to bowl, tap it at the right time to bat.

For the bowling, there needs to be a huge variation in how the quicks and spins work. So much so that two unique control systems would be great. Whereby, moving the right analogue stick in a motion (like semi circle around from down to up) for a spin bowler would result in a spin from the bounce, and doing it for a quick would result in either a speed up or even slow down on the bounce.

It's always going to come down to a semi quick time event where you are running up, pushing a button at the right time in the right zone to do whatever it is you want to do but moving it as far away from it as possible will make any cricket game a lot more engaging!

Cricket games in recent times have honestly been 2 day returns for me. Because they simply aren't engaging.
Retro Vertigo - Gaming with Less than 17 Bits

A PodCast coming to you soon.
Each batsmen should have weaknesses that you can try and exploit. Set your field to match the bowling plan you are going to use. For example if a batsmen doesn't start very well but likes to play the cover drive, you could leave a gap for him when he first comes in to bat through cover and stack the slip cordon. Looking for him to drive and hopefully edge one to the slips.

I think we need something new as far as bowling goes. Every game has just been 'move the marker to where you want and then push X for normal delivery, O for slow ball' etc.

Also the pitch, new ball and conditions should have more impact on the game. Batting should be really hard at the start of a test. The ball should be swinging and cutting off the pitch. Obviously in limited overs it won't be but test matches you should really have to earn your runs.

Reverse swing has to come into it as well. Previous games have had swing in them but you never felt that it was dangerous.
Yeah I'm all for something completely different.

Can't stand the Ashes games anymore, they feel too Arcadey and unrealistic.

Hopefully we see a real difference between all the variations of batsman.

There are aggressive players like Shane Watson, and defensive like Jonothan Trott. Then there's sloggers like Chris Gayle and brick walls like Dravid.You've got those with orthodox techniques like Mike Hussey, and those with unique techniques like Steve Smith or Phil Hughes. Some batsman prefer the back foot (cuts, pulls, hooks etc.) like Ricky Ponting, and some prefer the front foot (drives, leg glances, cover drives etc.) like Michael Clarke. Some prefer onside shots, some prefer offside. Some take a while to get going, some can blast right from the start like Davey Warner.

What I'm getting at here, is there are lots of different types of batsman!!! Smile
I think the analog sticks need to be used for all parts of the game just about. I'm stealing this method from MLB 2K11 but when pitching you pull down then up on the stick for a fast ball when the meter has filled to the ideal power / accuracy level. Each and every pitch type has a different analog movement required.

A pace bowler could have:
Swing delivery - down on stick then half circle left / right (this reminds me of another issue I have. Most quicks bowl either outswing or inswing. Not both)
Straight delivery - down then up
Slow ball - up then down

A leg spin bowler could have:
Leg break - right on the stick then half circle from 0 to 180 degrees (the beauty of this would be if you nail the timing you would get the natural drift by pushing to the right)
Googly - opposite to the above
Flipper - down then up
Top spinner - up then down

Just some ideas, I find it makes the experience much more enjoyable than just simply pushing a button for the different deliveries.
Having the right stick involved sounds pretty good to me...
Love it.
Going the NHL/Tiger Woods/MLB analog stick type system would be great!

I was also thinking today about pressure and how that affects the batsman and the bowler in real cricketing scenarios; and translating this to play out in the game.

I was thinking of a pressure type situation whereby a good ball is bowled in a particular situation where no run is scored, thus building pressure on the batsman. For example if the user bowls 10 dot balls at a new batsman there should be some extra pressure on that batsman to get off the mark and help the team to continue the run rate. This could be done by increasing the bowlers accuracy thus applying pressure on the batsman. The fielders could also lift in intensity as they sense the batsman struggling to score. This system could also work well in particular pressure situations such as late in the game when runs need to be scored. If good balls are bowled for dots, the run rate will need to lift and the batsman must do something to prevent the target from being out of reach. The pressure can be applied on the batsman to score runs and really increases their nerves to get the runs on the board.

Perhaps this could also include a type of intimidation for the fast bowlers. If you have a real fast bowler and you bowl a bouncer, the batsman should be a little shaken up as in real life. On the flip side if you bowl a couple of intimidating deliveries and one gets hit for a boundary, the bowlers confidence and accuracy would take a hit....
[Image: lee1.png]
(10-17-2012, 06:54 AM)Ross Wrote: We have a mantra of least possible HUD and least possible camera cuts, plus I don't like quick time games so this will not be "dance dance cricket" where you have to time specific ranges of button presses to catch etc...

This is an aspect of RLL2 that I love. There is the necessary HUD, and nothing else. Good signs for the cricket game.

Also, please don't use a colour change to signify when something should happen. I am colour blind, and I know quite a few other people who also had the problem in the codemaster's games of not knowing when the catch icon turned green. I had to guess. It was particularly disappointing to drop a catch that I'd worked to get, only to drop it because I never saw the icon turn green - I'd only notice the change to red (which was too late).

RLL2 is pretty good in this department, although with some of the better kickers (who have much smaller red zones), I can't always tell where the red zone starts.
(10-17-2012, 10:50 PM)sharkies! Wrote:

This is an aspect of RLL2 that I love. There is the necessary HUD, and nothing else. Good signs for the cricket game.

Also, please don't use a colour change to signify when something should happen. I am colour blind, and I know quite a few other people who also had the problem in the codemaster's games of not knowing when the catch icon turned green. I had to guess. It was particularly disappointing to drop a catch that I'd worked to get, only to drop it because I never saw the icon turn green - I'd only notice the change to red (which was too late).

RLL2 is pretty good in this department, although with some of the better kickers (who have much smaller red zones), I can't always tell where the red zone starts.

If it's Ok I might run some screenshots past you to see if you have issues, must be really frustrating because to be honest while we consider vision impaired we haven't considered people who were colour blind. Sorry Sad

Big Ant Studios store at www.BigAnt.com