Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Hodkinson turn the Knights around?
Pretty much what the topic reads.

Trent Hodkinson is the only big signing for Newcastle in 2016 with the club losing Beau Scott to Parramatta and a number of other former "big name" players for 2016.

Anyway, Newcastle finished last and got the spoon this season. Is Hodkinson good enough to change that? I personally think Newcastle will finish outside the 8 next year but I don't think they'll get the spoon.
I haven't seen much of Brisbane this season, how has Lowrie been going. I know he's not at the same level as Scott but will most likely fit that role.

I'd like to know who the coach is before making any predictions but, here's 1 anyway. If we play as defensively tight as we did in the 1st and last 4 games this season we will make the 8, we will most likely be too inconsistent though and miss out.
They'll win the comp next year.
Ok, so can anyone who follows the SL tell me how Nathan Browns been coaching while he's been over there?
Hodkinson is a quiet match winner like Cronk. If Mullen stays fit I think he can compliment Hodkinson well and Newcastle can challenge for 7th or 8th provided the rest of the squad stays fit and in form.
Hodkinson has only been average for the Bulldogs this season. Last year he was probably the best half in the game tied with Thurston and Cronk but now I wouldn't even consider him in the top 8 halfbacks right now. Newcastle are staring down the barrel of another bottom 4 finish.
(09-13-2015, 11:36 AM)Giraffe Wrote: Last year he was probably the best half in the game tied with Thurston and Cronk

Admittedly Hodkinson had a decent year but he wasn't on par with Thurston or Cronk. Nobody was.
(09-13-2015, 01:10 PM)SOR Wrote:
(09-13-2015, 11:36 AM)Giraffe Wrote: Last year he was probably the best half in the game tied with Thurston and Cronk

Admittedly Hodkinson had a decent year but he wasn't on par with Thurston or Cronk. Nobody was.

Coming to think of it I agree that Thurston and Cronk were slightly better last year. When I wrote it I was thinking about his fantastic debut origin series, which I personally think he was better than Thurston in. And lets face it NSW, if Cronk wasn't injured you wouldn't of won. Cherry-evans is Queensland's equivalent of Pearce when it comes to origin. I was glad when Mal had the courage to drop him.
Dude, honestly. If you can't win with 1 player out you probably didn't deserve the win anyway.

Best halfback in the world replaced by probably the third or fourth best halfback in the world. How sad. Meanwhile NSW went with Hodkinson who would probably be outside the top 5 in halfback rankings.
(09-13-2015, 04:55 PM)SOR Wrote: Dude, honestly. If you can't win with 1 player out you probably didn't deserve the win anyway.

Best halfback in the world replaced by probably the third or fourth best halfback in the world. How sad. Meanwhile NSW went with Hodkinson who would probably be outside the top 5 in halfback rankings.

As I said Cherry-Evans was awful for us and has been in every game he has started in since. In that series, the way Hodkinson played, I would only rank him below Cronk, definetely not number 5. He was the key to NSW's success. If he got injured, you would of been in the same situation as us, having to call up a lesser halfback, most likely Pearce. Who has not been a part of a single winning origin series. Cherry-Evans=Pearce in origin. Cronk>Hodkinson. So what I am trying to convey is that if you had a single player injured(Hodkinson), we would of won. But Cronk got injured instead so you won. So by your logic neither team was worthy of the win.