Poll: Who would you support
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Big Ant Studios
79.03%
49 79.03%
EA Sports
20.97%
13 20.97%
Total 62 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
RLL3 (Big Ant Studios) v NRL 16 (EA Sports)
Don't plan on buying it.
Got to agree with Ross. $2m might be a lot to invest in a free game to give to kids, but it'd be worth it in the long term without a doubt. If you get a kid hooked on rugby league by giving them a free video game then you have a fan (and an income) for life. You get a few thousand kids hooked on RL then you'll easily make that $2m back with interest and stop any decline and hopefully start an upward spiral too.

I also think that a lot of business is basically bullsh*tting the opposition. If you act like you can afford to give away a bloody brilliant video game at the cost of $2m then you're going to look like THE dominant force in the market. If you act small then you'll become small. Football (soccer), compared to RL is like watching paint dry. Beige paint. Painted over the top of an existing layer of beige. Yet football has the hell marketed out of it and is hyped beyond belief. Players are made out to be stars and are held in ridiculously high regard in society, for kicking a small ball into a big net (and a lot of the time they fail to do that).
To be fair, when you make a million dollars a week like the likes of Ronaldo and Messi do you ARE a star. It isn't just marketing and hype.

Highest paid footballer (Ronaldo) makes 79.6 million a year. Meanwhile the NRL's highest paid player is Cameron Smith who makes 1.5 million a year.
(08-15-2015, 04:11 PM)SOR Wrote: I don't know what to do in regards to the kids except suggest that the game is a little more kid friendly. Action figures, play fields, books/comics for kids etc. If a flash game wouldn't set you back a couple million I'd suggest that as well.

I do think one thing that all the major codes in Australia are missing out on is film making though. It may sound silly to some but look at the success the American sports films have had. An Australian one could have as much success.

Footy Legends was okay but the NRL has so many great stories why not a movie about them? The government offers financing for projects in this country so instead of making shitty horror movies or "gay drama" how about Australia produces it's own Rugby League movie?

Ideas:

- Back in 2004 you had the American Tomahawks play Australia in a game that the Tomahawks were expected to get belted in. The Tomahawks lead Australia 24-6 at half time before Australia comes behind and mows them down. You could follow a player or even the coach and the lead up to that game, how America had no shot and just like Rocky they do their best and lose in the end. Decent underdog story.

- Parramatta Eels 2009 we're all familiar with I'm sure. Similar to the one above but you could easily get 2 hours out of it. Write some drama and perhaps a nice sub plot and you've got a decent movie.

- Melbourne Storm 2010 salary cap scandal would be a phenomenal film to make. There have been books written on the subject along with what the media reportedso you'd really only need the Storm to sign off on it (Which they probably wouldn't). Regardless, you could do a film like this covering the rise which they cheated to achieve and the fall.

- The Alex McKinnon Story. It's a touchy one no doubt but it'd be a phenomenal film if done correctly. Obviously the story follows Alex McKinnon and his life. He makes first grade, meets his fiance, the accident, the rehab, the drama.

Those are all films I think a majority of NRL fans would watch and a couple (Melbourne 2010 scandal, McKinnon) could probably hook your average Australian and overseas person as well.

I like the tomahawks idea, if only they had been through and documented the whole thing with a film crew, could have had a doco and a "based on movie" to boost the american market
(08-15-2015, 10:48 PM)SOR Wrote: To be fair, when you make a million dollars a week like the likes of Ronaldo and Messi do you ARE a star. It isn't just marketing and hype.

Highest paid footballer (Ronaldo) makes 79.6 million a year. Meanwhile the NRL's highest paid player is Cameron Smith who makes 1.5 million a year.

Interesting about smith. I thought Thurston was highest with 1 mil until Backflips Evans overtook him. Did he resign for more?
(08-15-2015, 10:48 PM)SOR Wrote: To be fair, when you make a million dollars a week like the likes of Ronaldo and Messi do you ARE a star. It isn't just marketing and hype.

How much money you get paid doesn't make you a star. There are loads of people in business who earn that much but they aren't stars. How many people have you seen wearing a Microsoft shirt with B. Gates 1 on the back?

People pay them that much because of the way football is marketed and hyped, like it merits all the money thrown at it. I mean Messi and Ronaldo would be perfectly capable of kicking a ball regardless of how rich they are.
(08-16-2015, 01:35 AM)Grizzly Yeti Wrote:

Interesting about smith. I thought Thurston was highest with 1 mil until Backflips Evans overtook him. Did he resign for more?

It's just what I found online so don't take it as fact but I read Smith was on 1.5. I do remember reading that when DCE signed his deal he became the highest paid Rugby League player on earth though.
Well I'd probably be buying NRL 16 as EA are likely to produce the better product. I don't treat game producers the same as I do my footy team. I go to the one with the best games that interest me.
Have fun playing nothing
(08-16-2015, 12:47 PM)FiddleDiddle Wrote: Well I'd probably be buying NRL 16 as EA are likely to produce the better product.

What are you basing this on? FIFA? Take a look at how long it took them to get to the level they are with 15, take a look at the money poured into it, then compare it to how much money they would likely put into an NRL game doesn't compare.

It would take at least 3 (probably more) iterations to get something good out of EA, look at there last 2 NBA efforts and that's counting the one that got cancelled last minute because by even EAs standards it wasn't good enough.

What an outrageous thing to say.

It's not like it's even a chance of happening anyway.
[Image: SYWLAxC.png]