Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Big Ant Cricket - Batting (How would you like to see it done?)
@Ricky87 - CRICKET'97 ATE is the closest to getting cricket right, which is sad and a real shame because there have been quite a few titles since. This is where it really ticks me off when people say SWC'99 was the best. Pfft.. I could easily score 200 runs in a 10 over match every time i played. BORING. I think people get confused because SWC'99 was at a time where technology was really ready to take off, and cricket games looked like they could have real potential in their new 3D format. I really don't know why companies who had a crack at cricket games, including EA, abandoned the idea of CRICKET'97 ATE, and to an extent where it got it's idea from - Super International Cricket on the SNES. It is PERFECT for a cricket game.

The freedom with footwork while batting in C'97ATE is absolutely great, you can move wherever you want while the delivery is bowled. That freedom and control of being able to simply choose yourself whether you want to get on the front dog or get back and across and cut a ball, all requiring on the ball timing, I would take over a loft button any day of the week. In that game it's about setting yourself before you play the shot, which I love because it rewards proper movement and weight transition before playing your shot. In real life i'm a batsman who loves to use his feet to the spinners
and take advantage of getting myself into positions where I can drive through the leg side. A ball pitched on or outside off I can create a position myself, by coming down the wicket and getting my head over the pitch of the ball, to play through the onside. A cricket game hasn't even come close to replicating this since C'97ATE.

BA have shown a tremendous amount of attention to detail with RLL2 and the gameplay in that revolves around playing safe league first and foremost on its highest difficulty before spreading a ball from one wing to the other. I'm really hoping this cricket game is the same. I want BA to say this games medium is at 3 or 4 runs an over if you play safe and within yourself like the league game. I do want BA to have control over loft, because giving the gamer that much freedom leads to unrealistic scores and cricket.
It would be good if each batsman had a lofting stat among their other individual stats. A boundary stat would also work great guns. And also a stat rating for each individual shot in the game. This would mean S.R.Waugh's hook shot rating could be low and edited to how you want. This would really bring into play finding a batsman's weaknesses when bowling.

Being a lover and knowing how C'97ATE plays, wouldn't you love a game similar with great graphics, but with double the shots it had to offer? Imagine having 36 shots in that game - Front and backfoot glances both intended for in front and behind square, Straighter or finer pull and hook shots, front foot square drives etc.
God I hope BA have played the game made by Melbourne House not that long ago called CRICKET'97 Ashes Tour Edition Wink
#Thegreatestgameofall
Great post mate. Cricket 97 ATE is by far the best Cricket game ever, it is for hardcore Cricket lovers. Not only does the game has a very good range of shots, it's the batting style in Cricket 97 ATE which easily shines above the rest for the reasons you mentioned.
I think what we saw of batting in Table Top Cricket trailer is very promising, those were proper Cricket shots with footwork and follow through so hoping that this is one vital area which Big Ant have got covered.
(11-26-2012, 09:35 PM)PJ6 Wrote: And also a stat rating for each individual shot in the game. This would mean S.R.Waugh's hook shot rating could be low and edited to how you want. This would really bring into play finding a batsman's weaknesses when bowling.
This kind of depth in the game's structure would be amazing! So a subdivision of a main attribute like batting could include - points for all the shots in the game, ability to hit big shots, against spin bowling and fast bowling etc. This would enable more tactical and strategic gameplay!
(11-26-2012, 09:35 PM)PJ6 Wrote: Being a lover and knowing how C'97ATE plays, wouldn't you love a game similar with great graphics, but with double the shots it had to offer? Imagine having 36 shots in that game - Front and backfoot glances both intended for in front and behind square, Straighter or finer pull and hook shots, front foot square drives etc.
Wow! That would be like a dream Smile This is where Big Ant Studios need to put all the resources, this is the core! I have been talking about the unpredictable gameplay, because that's what we are used to in Cricket 97 ATE, and with more number of shots I can only imagine how much better it would become!
(11-26-2012, 09:35 PM)PJ6 Wrote: God I hope BA have played the game made by Melbourne House not that long ago called CRICKET'97 Ashes Tour Edition Wink
Second that mate Smile
My priorities for Big Ant Studios Cricket games
1- Play real
2- Feel real
3- Look real

(11-27-2012, 01:12 AM)ricky87 Wrote:
(11-26-2012, 09:35 PM)PJ6 Wrote: Being a lover and knowing how C'97ATE plays, wouldn't you love a game similar with great graphics, but with double the shots it had to offer? Imagine having 36 shots in that game - Front and backfoot glances both intended for in front and behind square, Straighter or finer pull and hook shots, front foot square drives etc.
Wow! That would be like a dream Smile This is where Big Ant Studios need to put all the resources, this is the core! I have been talking about the unpredictable gameplay, because that's what we are used to in Cricket 97 ATE, and with more number of shots I can only imagine how much better it would become!

Exactly. The core with the 36 different types of stroke then could be polished with the technology that wasn't there in 1997, with each stroke having say 15 slightly different animations for that one stroke. Like mentioned earlier not every on-drive looks the same. So if you choose to on-drive a delivery there would be various subtle differences in animation happening all the time when you pick that stroke. If there were 15 subtle animation differences for 36 strokes, you would then see 540 different shots played! Not bad when you think there is 540 balls, 90 overs, in one days play of Test Cricket! And BA have this cool feature in RLL2 when you get the timing absolutely spot on, the game produces special animations which become rare and exciting to see. I'm sure this is something BA will bring over to their cricket game as well.

Another thing i've hated in cricket games is the field radar that is constantly in the corner like an eye sore. Also how slow games have been between deliveries, I hate having to press buttons to get the bowler to bowl to me. I would rather there be no field radar, and instead after a delivery is complete you get a one second chance to press a button to view field. This is where the t.v presentation and graphics and realism could come into play, with a quick 3 second view from high in the stand showing all players on the field and the bowler going back to his mark. You only get to see the field when you are walking out to bat or between balls, not all the time.
#Thegreatestgameofall
Not bad at all Smile And then to complement the different strokes if we could also have realistic physics between the bat and ball. There could be 25 to 30 spots on the bat which would be the guiding principle in deciding the result of the stroke i.e. which direction the ball goes in, how far it goes and how fast it goes. For example if its a short pitched delivery outside the off stump and the batsman plays a sqaure cut, the ball could take a thick edge and fly over the wicket keeper's head, or it could go to the slips, or to third man, or to covers, or above the point fielders head or to his either side along the surface and so on.
1- Play real
2- Feel real
3- Look real

(11-27-2012, 12:02 PM)ricky87 Wrote: Not bad at all Smile And then to complement the different strokes if we could also have realistic physics between the bat and ball. There could be 25 to 30 spots on the bat which would be the guiding principle in deciding the result of the stroke i.e. which direction the ball goes in, how far it goes and how fast it goes. For example if its a short pitched delivery outside the off stump and the batsman plays a sqaure cut, the ball could take a thick edge and fly over the wicket keeper's head, or it could go to the slips, or to third man, or to covers, or above the point fielders head or to his either side along the surface and so on.

Indeed mate. One thing I don't want to see is the ball following the same paths time and time again off the bat. When a ball is crunched off a back foot cut, you want to see all the things you mentioned - one bounce into the turf straight to a fielder, placed either side or over the point or cover, Finer or squarer angles etc.
It's when your timing is too early or too late then you see chances or half chances or inside/outside edges that you get away with or get out on. I want to be creative with my footwork and shot selection and have an endless amount of ball physics off the bat, and know it was my fault when i get out 8/10 times.. like real cricket.
With all that randomness in ball physics a lot would come down to your running between wickets, and a game that isn't a slog fest that may take 35 balls b4 you get your first boundary would be very rewarding for the user.
#Thegreatestgameofall
(11-27-2012, 03:51 PM)PJ6 Wrote: Indeed mate. One thing I don't want to see is the ball following the same paths time and time again off the bat. When a ball is crunched off a back foot cut, you want to see all the things you mentioned - one bounce into the turf straight to a fielder, placed either side or over the point or cover, Finer or squarer angles etc.
It's when your timing is too early or too late then you see chances or half chances or inside/outside edges that you get away with or get out on. I want to be creative with my footwork and shot selection and have an endless amount of ball physics off the bat, and know it was my fault when i get out 8/10 times.. like real cricket.
With all that randomness in ball physics a lot would come down to your running between wickets, and a game that isn't a slog fest that may take 35 balls b4 you get your first boundary would be very rewarding for the user.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.
1- Play real
2- Feel real
3- Look real

Just dont have it set up like International cricket 2010 where as a batsmen if the bowler bowls short the batter can still drive the ball along the ground! That really annoys me and if that happens in real life your hit on the melon! Bring the realism back! Cricket 07 had it!
I hate the fact that you can place exactly where the ball will go before its been bowled. Lame!

The older games played so much better. The one on the SNES, 2002 on the PS2, even 05 and 07. Cricket games are going backwards IMO.
Up the mighty Eels Exclamation Cool
cricket 2002 hands down best cricket game iv played, really loved the manual fielding in it, after that i haven't touch a cricket game.
(11-26-2012, 09:35 PM)PJ6 Wrote: God I hope BA have played the game made by Melbourne House not that long ago called CRICKET'97 Ashes Tour Edition Wink

We've played them all, and still do...

I remember Adam Lancman telling me about the Melbourne House game going off to Japan for submission and initially failing because when the "batter hit the ball he didn't run" (too much baseball I guess) Smile

Big Ant Studios store at www.BigAnt.com