Big Ant Studios
NRL vs Super League - Printable Version

+- Big Ant Studios (https://forum.bigant.com)
+-- Forum: Welcome to the Big Ant Forums (https://forum.bigant.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Rugby League (https://forum.bigant.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Rugby League Live 3 (https://forum.bigant.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Thread: NRL vs Super League (/showthread.php?tid=3483)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: NRL vs Super League - benrhino - 07-18-2015

There's definitely a balance to be had SOR, and I can appreciate a great defensive effort, particularly on your own line. I remember a world club challenge game between Leeds and Manly, possibly in 2009, which finished something like 11-8 but was bloody good to watch.

I'm not saying I like seeing silly score lines, (even though Leeds won 70- 6 tonight) because it does nothing for either team or the sport as a whole, but I do like to see teams take more chances, try a risky offload, than what I've generally seen in the NRL.

RE: NRL vs Super League - SOR - 07-18-2015

I guess it depends on the player/team. Over at the Roosters we have JWH who likes a nice risky offload and sometimes it works for him. He only will generally do it in the oppositions 50 though and there have been many times it hasn't worked also.

Canberra and the Warriors play risky football though

RE: NRL vs Super League - Dann_K - 07-18-2015

I think defensively in Super League there are just more inconsistencies.

In SL I've seen Salford play out a 40-40 draw, lose by over 50, win by 50, lose 7-0 and win 5-2 (no tries scored). I've also seen around a dozen games that have been 0-0 at half time, some of which have ended up fairly one-sided in the end.

Then there's also the games that are much closer than the scoreline suggests, with the winning side getting lucky or scoring a few tries at the death when the other team knows they have lost.

RE: NRL vs Super League - benrhino - 07-18-2015

(07-18-2015, 09:42 PM)Dann_K Wrote: I think defensively in Super League there are just more inconsistencies.

In SL I've seen Salford play out a 40-40 draw, lose by over 50, win by 50, lose 7-0 and win 5-2 (no tries scored). I've also seen around a dozen games that have been 0-0 at half time, some of which have ended up fairly one-sided in the end.

Then there's also the games that are much closer than the scoreline suggests, with the winning side getting lucky or scoring a few tries at the death when the other team knows they have lost.

A fair point Dann, did you go last night? Also like to think what your thoughts are on what Mac said about the Dr, because I thought he was spot on.

RE: NRL vs Super League - Dann_K - 07-19-2015

Sadly/thankfully I couldn't go due to work. I normally make Leeds away because its usually a good atmosphere.

I have to agree with Mac's comments regarding Koukash. He can be quite naive in terms of rugby league and sometimes needs to just leave the rugby side of things to the people who know the game. I like that Koukash does speak out and say some of the things that really do need to be said, but he does take it too far.

RE: NRL vs Super League - benrhino - 07-19-2015

(07-19-2015, 03:57 AM)Dann_K Wrote: Sadly/thankfully I couldn't go due to work. I normally make Leeds away because its usually a good atmosphere.

I have to agree with Mac's comments regarding Koukash. He can be quite naive in terms of rugby league and sometimes needs to just leave the rugby side of things to the people who know the game. I like that Koukash does speak out and say some of the things that really do need to be said, but he does take it too far.

I'm glad your rational about it, some bloke on twitter suggested he should shut up because Leeds also buy success...before citing Hanley Crookes and Wane as examples who between them won about one trophy at Leeds.

Koukash has saved you, but now he is hurting you imo, Needs to leave on pitch stuff and recruitment stuff to rugby people and focus on other issues, such as your stadium conundrum imo.

Totally agree with you there Ben. I think Koukash has actually said he is staying out of recruitment matters. He is slowly learning to be an RL chairman, but he is certainly doing it the hard way.

If you look at all the top SL clubs they all have chairmen who invest in the club (not just in players, but in systems, infrastructure and youth) and who are all virtually anonymous. Our previous chairman, John Wilkinson, was a quiet reserved man who kept us afloat on practically nothing. He was never outspoken, quietly went about his business and prior to him having to sell the club to Koukash he was the longest serving chairman in SL by far.

The RFL really screwed us over by practically saying if you want SL status then you need a new stadium, which surely they knew we could not afford. Since then we pretty much bankrupted ourselves by getting the stadium built yet Wakefield, Castleford and Bradford didn't have to do anything with their grounds. Koukash saved us by basically paying off the stadium debt, but we still have massive overheads and the contract with the stadium is terrible (no club shop and no money from matchday food/drink, the highest rent in SL). I'd much rather Koukash sort that out and leave the on-field matters to the people who know what they're doing.

Anyway, rant over!

RE: NRL vs Super League - benrhino - 07-19-2015

Yeah I heard your in a bad situation with your ground. The thing is, your situation, trying to build with money isn't a new thing. I remember Leeds, Wire and Huddersfield all signing over the hill/ average players and stars when they first got money from Caddick Moran and Davey respectively. They all eventually got it right. There is a blueprint for you to follow, if Koukash can take his ego out of it.

Yeah you're right again. You can't just buy success, certainly not overnight. Warrington are probably the best recent example. They spent an awful lot and still missed out on the playoffs for a quite a few years and it became a bit of a joke.

I can see Salford doing the same thing unless changes are made. We need to invest in the academy (which to be fair Koukash now realises) and have some more stability as well as experienced rugby league people behind the scenes.

I'm very, very glad Tim Sheens has been brought in - he knows the game inside out and is just what the club needs. We could probably do with some more experience in the coaching staff but we need stability too. Under Koukash we have had Phil Veivers, Alan Hunt, Brian Noble and Iestyn Harris as coach. Now Ian Watson is coach in Harris' absence (assuming he ever returns!)

Huddersfield have gone it the long term way and it is really starting to work for them now, They've invested heavily in youth, kept some of the experienced players and then added a couple of stars just to really make them a class outfit. They've got the likes of Brough but they've got a good mix of older, club players like Crabtree and good young players from their academy like Cudjoe, McGilvary and quite a few others now.

Leeds have been established as a top club for so long now that it is difficult to imagine them not ever making the playoffs. They practically have a conveyor-belt of talent coming through their academy to go along with their stars (most of whom came through the Leeds academy anyway) and can always attract big name players because anybody who goes to Leeds has a good chance of being successful.

RE: NRL vs Super League - napa - 07-19-2015

(07-18-2015, 08:52 AM)SOR Wrote: Being a Roosters fan I like teams that are strong defensively. One of the best matches in recent history was Manly Sea Eagles Vs Sydney Roosters in the 2013 finals series. Roosters won 4-0 but I watched that one and remember cringing every single time Manly got close.

You can't have that in a game where the scores are something like 52-30. That's why I struggle to watch the Raiders. Good attacking team but don't care about defense.

I agree that the good defense ls go to watch but i would much rather watch high unstructured offensive teams such as the warriors id much rather watch them instead of the roosters and storm