Big Ant Studios
NRL vs Super League - Printable Version

+- Big Ant Studios (https://forum.bigant.com)
+-- Forum: Welcome to the Big Ant Forums (https://forum.bigant.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Rugby League (https://forum.bigant.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Rugby League Live 3 (https://forum.bigant.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Thread: NRL vs Super League (/showthread.php?tid=3483)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: NRL vs Super League - PJ6 - 07-15-2015

The NRL could learn a lot from SL in my opinion, and the gulf in class isn't as drastic as some make out. I've seen every NRL team play like absolute poo. Look at Panthers and Dogs for example this past weekend, just appauling. You wouldn't consider both of them a top bracket team if you knew nothing about rugby league and witnessed the games knowing both were the home team.
The thing I find best about SL is the single ref and video replay system. So much better than our clusterfuck we have here. Sometimes I think the only thing that could save the NRL is giving Vince McMahon the CEO role. At least he could rig it properly and it would be entertaining.
2 referees - Both interprets 10m, line speed and how long is ok to hold down in a ruck differently. The most important things overall in the 80minutes. Leads to frustration viewing and seeing teams piggy backed down the field. It's been a long time since I've seen consistent results and the SL doesn't make me ever feel this way when I watch it. The way It is now though the only thing the NRL could do (bar getting Vince :p) is get rid of the kick for touch off a penalty. It just kills the battle for territory and earning the right to get in the opposition 20.

RE: NRL vs Super League - RhysC97 - 07-16-2015

I have to admit, I'm shocked this thread got so many replies! All of the comments have been great so far, I never knew the Aussies rated the Super League so highly. I now personally believe keeping the difference in class the same is the best option.

Just to clear the confusion about what I said, when I mentioned the 'gulf' in class, what I meant is that only 5 teams are actually good enough to compete with the NRL. Those being; Wigan, St Helens, Leeds, Warrington and in my opinion, Catalan Dragons (They've got a brilliant team, the only reason they're not higher on the table is because of travelling to England from France drains their energy, they're an amazing team to watch at home.)

The other teams, like: Wakefield, Widnes, Hull KR & FC etc would most likely get a hammering.

The depth compared the the NRL is massive.
The NRL is an ocean and the Super League is a pond. We produce some brilliant players, but not a lot. Especially forwards, Alex Walmsley and Tony Clubb are getting better and better. Exiting forwards with massive potential.

I agree with Benrhino, I personally believe the Super League is more entertaining because of it's playstyle, but that is my opinion. Smile

Just to get an idea of how shallow the depth of the English is, just look at the squad. Mainly those of the five teams I listed above. New Zealand and Australia have players from all teams, massive variety.

RE: NRL vs Super League - IVIoore - 07-16-2015

(07-16-2015, 01:21 AM)RhysC97 Wrote: Just to get an idea of how shallow the depth of the English is, just look at the squad. Mainly those of the five teams I listed above. New Zealand and Australia have players from all teams, massive variety.

To be fair, the 24 players in England's 2014 Four Nations squad came from 12 different clubs across SL and NRL. Saints didn't even have 1 representative. Granted those playing in the NRL tended to come from the junior setups at the bigger SL clubs. Still, much better than the 08 World Cup squad in which it was mostly Leeds and Saints players. Looking at that squad makes me shudder - we've come along way since then.

RE: NRL vs Super League - RhysC97 - 07-16-2015

(07-16-2015, 02:01 AM)IVIoore Wrote: To be fair, the 24 players in England's 2014 Four Nations squad came from 12 different clubs across SL and NRL. Saints didn't even have 1 representative. Granted those playing in the NRL tended to come from the junior setups at the bigger SL clubs. Still, much better than the 08 World Cup squad in which it was mostly Leeds and Saints players. Looking at that squad makes me shudder - we've come along way since then.

Ah, I apologise. I've not done my research in a long time, so my opinion is outdated and redundant. Big Grin

England has improved immensely since 2008. I wasn't a fan of Rugby at the time (I only got into Rugby in 2011.), but I watched highlights of them on YouTube and I must admit, it was shocking. Our backs were clueless and our forwards were a bunch of cats (What I can tell from the highlights, can't be 100% sure). In 2011, we looked a much better side. Two years on, we almost beat New Zealand in what was one of the greatest games of any sport I've ever seen in my life. A year later, we still almost beat them and Australia.

"Almost" - That's how close we are as a National Team. Smile

RE: NRL vs Super League - benrhino - 07-16-2015

The backs, with the exception of a well past his best senior, were tiny compared to their Aussie counterparts. Plus just generally lacked class, guys like Sykes and calderwood...shudder.

The forwards weren't that bad, though lacked the depth that I honestly feel we now have.

RE: NRL vs Super League - Dann_K - 07-16-2015

I think we've always had the forwards to match the Aussies and Kiwis, recently its the centres (with the exception of Senior) and halfbacks (with the exception of Sean Long on his day) that have been our biggest problem. I mean Matty Smith, really??...

RE: NRL vs Super League - benrhino - 07-16-2015

Agreed Dann, it's a shame McGuire didn't have the all round game he has today earlier in his career, or the issue in the halves would have been solved, if it was a must win World Cup year I'd be arguing for his inclusion this year.

RE: NRL vs Super League - Dann_K - 07-16-2015

Totally agree with you there, McGuire has easily been the best English halfback this year and probably the best halfback in SL this year, certainly the most consistent anyway.

RE: NRL vs Super League - Joshfc92 - 07-16-2015

(07-16-2015, 07:00 AM)benrhino Wrote: Agreed Dann, it's a shame McGuire didn't have the all round game he has today earlier in his career, or the issue in the halves would have been solved, if it was a must win World Cup year I'd be arguing for his inclusion this year.

As an Hull fan it pains me to say it but I do agree with you, him and sinfield ripped us apart in all games this year!

RE: NRL vs Super League - SOR - 07-16-2015

Yeah, I believe it was Ben who posted the English halves combination a week or so ago and I didn't know who either of them were. I'd go with Gareth Widdop at 6 and whoever the best halfback in Super League should be number 7.

Australia has halves problems as well though. NZ is the only major RL nation to have a set of quality halves. Not bad when you have Benji Marshall ready to replace either of them in case of injury either.