Big Ant Studios
NRL vs Super League - Printable Version

+- Big Ant Studios (https://forum.bigant.com)
+-- Forum: Welcome to the Big Ant Forums (https://forum.bigant.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Rugby League (https://forum.bigant.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Rugby League Live 3 (https://forum.bigant.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Thread: NRL vs Super League (/showthread.php?tid=3483)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: NRL vs Super League - benrhino - 07-15-2015

The comments on poor defence I'd agree with about 5 to 10 years ago, super league has come a long way since then, it now takes an awful lot to break a SL defence down, at least in terms of the top teams. We see more tries mainly because we take more chances, which naturally leads to more tries but also means more errors, having to do more defence and the opposition to score. Better all round defence imo is demonstrated by the fact that Rob Burrow is no longer the weapon he once was.

I think we have got away from the has been signings from the NRL, and long gone are the days where they come over and become superstars, big names such as Locke, Asotasi et al have all flopped in recent times. There has been a move to getting players who have never quite had the opportunity in the NRL, such as Adam Cuthbertson, who has been a revelation. I also believe the reason he never a regular under Wayne Bennett is because he dislikes forwards who want to do anything other than cart the ball up. Cuthbo's offloads and work at first receiver is second to none.

(07-15-2015, 09:46 AM)azzae89 Wrote: Watching super league these days reminds me of how the NRL played about 10 years ago. Still highly competitive, and great to watch, but far less structure in defense and attack, less predictability, and a more free flowing and exciting game.

A lot of NRL is now telegraphed plays in attack and defense, wrestling/grappling is a huge focus now, exorbitant penalty counts, hours spent reviewing tries etc. Ten years ago Tigers were doing flick passes to win the grand final.

This sums up the differences I see, and as others have said the only problem with Super League is a lack of depth and the drop off from the top teams, which can somewhat be explained by the smaller player talent pool compared to the NRL.

RE: NRL vs Super League - Storminator148 - 07-15-2015

NRL is far superior of Super League! e.g. Sam Tomkins best fullback in SL! Fails to deliver in NRL

(07-15-2015, 05:31 PM)Storminator148 Wrote: NRL is far superior of Super League! e.g. Sam Tomkins best fullback in SL! Fails to deliver in NRL

By far a better set up, we'll run, more depth etc. Just saying nowadays the top SL teams are in a position where they could compete. I also feel the onfield SL product is more entertaining but that's my opinion. You might prefer five drives and a kick and loads of wrestling.

As for Tomkins, that depends who you asked, I never thought he was the best fullback in SL, he had glaring deficiencies in the defensive side of his game, especially the high ball. Offensively he is pretty good but the Wigan System at the time was all about getting him in space. This gave him the opportunity to look good, SKY latched on and he was seen as the best thing since sliced bread. And whilst he has not disgraced himself, I think he was misadvertised leading to too high expectatations when he went to NZ.

Let me flip it for you, Josh Hodgson, who was a decent hooker at a middle of the table SL club, and definitely not considered the best hooker in SL has gone over to Canberra and had rave reviews, is that an indication of the NRL? Or is it the expectations on Josh Hodgson?

RE: NRL vs Super League - Storminator148 - 07-15-2015

Josh Hodgson is an average hooker! I rate Kurt Baptiste a better running dummy-half

And that's your opinion, all I'm saying is that I've heard nothing but good things about Hodgson while he's been over there. If a player from an average SL club can go over to the NRL and look good-average, it can't be as superior as your making out.

RE: NRL vs Super League - HomerHatesYou - 07-15-2015

the super league can't be that bad. Look at Blake Green and what the super league has done for him. Couldn't really handle the NRL at the start of his career, went over to super league and improved out of sight. He's now back in the NRL and in my opinion has been one of the best 5/8s this year

RE: NRL vs Super League - MJS023 - 07-15-2015

It's hard to really compare the NRL and SL. Really they are completely different and unfortunately the only times teams really meet is at the beginning of the SL season which is in NRL off season, not to mention its usually in the UK, so even though English teams have had a lot of success in these events its not really comparable.

In saying that I think Azzae hit the nail on the head, SL is extremely entertaining! It reminds me of the older days of ARL/NRL. But I think even the top Super League teams would struggle to be competitive in the NRL today, however they really aren't that far off.

SL is like the NRL's little brother. You'll see some flashes of brilliance and It puts out some amazing players, like the Burgess brothers (probably not Luke), but will always be in the shadow of the NRL because it doesn't have great depth.

RE: NRL vs Super League - SOR - 07-15-2015

(07-15-2015, 05:48 PM)Storminator148 Wrote: Josh Hodgson is an average hooker! I rate Kurt Baptiste a better running dummy-half

Hodgson is fantastic each time I've seen him.

RE: NRL vs Super League - HomerHatesYou - 07-15-2015

Hodgson has been great for the Raiders. I remember when they played the Storm. Raiders were way on top until Hodgson kicked one of his own teammates and went off injured. Then the raiders just lost their way and Storm were able to get up

(07-15-2015, 06:39 PM)MJS023 Wrote: It's hard to really compare the NRL and SL. Really they are completely different and unfortunately the only times teams really meet is at the beginning of the SL season which is in NRL off season, not to mention its usually in the UK, so even though English teams have had a lot of success in these events its not really comparable.

In saying that I think Azzae hit the nail on the head, SL is extremely entertaining! It reminds me of the older days of ARL/NRL. But I think even the top Super League teams would struggle to be competitive in the NRL today, however they really aren't that far off.

SL is like the NRL's little brother. You'll see some flashes of brilliance and It puts out some amazing players, like the Burgess brothers (probably not Luke), but will always be in the shadow of the NRL because it doesn't have great depth.

I agree with pretty much all this, and think top super league clubs would be competitive in all games, even if not nessecarily ending up on the right end of most score lines.

I liken the differences in NRL and SL to the NFL and College football. The Nfl now has athletes etc that are that good and schemes coordinators etc that are scared to take a chance because of this. In college football this is not the case, it's a lot more open and many Americans prefer it as a spectacle.

The player pool unfortunately isn't really going to change, RL is still mainly northern sport with a small minded reputation, not helped by the lack of genuine internationals. Behind football and the vastly inferior Union. Although I find it funny how RU has thrown money recently at two league players Eastmond, a scrum half, and Burgess, a prop and expect both to play roughly the same position.

Speaking of union it is another good example of a sport differencing across the hemispheres, I can watch the Super 15's and find it entertaining, English club RU on the other hand is far too involved in the ruck, set pieces and kicking for me to enjoy.