Big Ant Studios
Big Ant Cricket - Batting (How would you like to see it done?) - Printable Version

+- Big Ant Studios (https://forum.bigant.com)
+-- Forum: Welcome to the Big Ant Forums (https://forum.bigant.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Cricket (https://forum.bigant.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Don Bradman Cricket (https://forum.bigant.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: Big Ant Cricket - Batting (How would you like to see it done?) (/showthread.php?tid=197)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Big Ant Cricket - Batting (How would you like to see it done?) - C A Iversen - 10-17-2012

An area of cricket that's been mostly done well in the past, but there's been a few missed opportunities.

Here's some of my thoughts:

1) Why can players seem to blast endlessly large 6's? Even on high difficulties? Not just drop over the boundary ones, huuuuuuge ones. It's ridiculous. It's devaluing. It seems batsmen don't get tired like mere mortals do. I really think that when the slog button is held down and a shot is appropriate and well timed that a player of course, will hit a six. Just it shouldn't necessarily be a huge one unless they are a big hitter like Gayle or McCullum and others.

2) How to make a reasonably well struck shot not quite go over the boundary, but drop short like should happen more in games? Incorporate timing in slog or power shots so that if the button or stick are held down too long or too short, the ball doesn't make it, presenting a catch.

3) Make players slowly get tired after big shots and have it effect their ability to keep hitting them (merely have a thin red line or something like that, that creeps up alongside their confidence meter). That red line could also be added to by playing those big shots against quality bowlers too many times and chancing your arm too much. You can only ride your luck for so long. What effect does the red line actually do? It makes it that you need more and more precise timing for power shots when you go for them thus effecting the chance of those shots not traveling far enough and being caught or causing a nick as your player IS getting tired and/or riding luck too far.

Imagine the effect on realistic run-rates, the bane of many a developer at least it seems.

Anyhow, these are just some starting ideas. Let's hear some others.

RE: Big Ant Cricket - Batting (How would you like to see it done?) - WannabePopper - 10-17-2012

Fatigue fatigue fatigue.

Cricket is always played in "warmer" weather. It might be cold, but when it's raining it's paused.

And some cricketers running a lot will fatigue more and their runs will get slower. During longer matches, there is less running, so less fatigue. Or a "longer" fatigue periods. Some players will run less and wait for those nice balls with which they can get a boundary.

Fatigue has to effect players not just by how much they are running but by how long they are out there. Standing under that hot, hot sun.

RE: Big Ant Cricket - Batting (How would you like to see it done?) - C A Iversen - 10-17-2012

(10-17-2012, 10:09 AM)WannabePopper Wrote: Fatigue fatigue fatigue.

Cricket is always played in "warmer" weather. It might be cold, but when it's raining it's paused.

And some cricketers running a lot will fatigue more and their runs will get slower. During longer matches, there is less running, so less fatigue. Or a "longer" fatigue periods. Some players will run less and wait for those nice balls with which they can get a boundary.

Fatigue has to effect players not just by how much they are running but by how long they are out there. Standing under that hot, hot sun.

Yeah I agree, general fatigue has to be a factor. It can help regulate some of the ridiculous power still available to batsmen every over in every game of previous Cricket games. Wouldn't run-rates benefit with some realism from this? Maybe a subtle effect at first, but surely it'd build and along with it help with realism all round.

6's in previous games, have come with ridiculous ease and timing and you'd almost never see a ball coming down in the outfield due to lesser timing, due to fatigue.

RE: Big Ant Cricket - Batting (How would you like to see it done?) - kiz64 - 10-17-2012

A thing I don't think previous games have nailed is that the bowling is too slow as far as the animation. If a bowler is bowling 140km/h to you then you shouldn't have all day to choose your shot and nail the timing. Getting the balance right might take some experimenting but every game so far, the quick bowling has been too slow and not challenging.

In stick cricket, the pace bowling is on you in a second. You have to make a very quick decision on which line and length the ball is on and what shot you wish to play if any at all. This is a more accurate reflection of how it is in real life.

Using the analog sticks and making batting more of a reaction is the key. You don't need to move the batsmen left and right. How often do you see batsmen on tv sliding left and right before the ball is bowled?

You should be able to specify if you want to take your mark on middle or say on leg stump and then the only movement you should be making is the footwork required for the shot you selected. I'm guessing if you wanted to charge then the left analog stick could be used.

There needs to be a real difference in batting when you first start your innings to when you have your eye in. Whether there's more leniency in your shot timing and ball placement into gaps, i'm not sure what method would be best for this.

RE: Big Ant Cricket - Batting (How would you like to see it done?) - Goldy - 10-17-2012

I would love to see a first person batting perspective. This really makes the user feel like they are out in the middle, feeling the heat. This also would make for some good batting mechanics whereby the user can actually play a shot in the real direction required. The use of the joysticks here is also good (ala cricket 07, ashes 2010 etc) where the user largely has control over where the shot is aimed and depending on batsman’s skill and timing the ball will go in the vicinity of where the shot was directed. However there are also some additions that I would love to see.

One small issue that I have with previous cricket games is the use of the indicator to tell the batsman where the ball will land. Cricket is an instinctive and reactive game hence doesn’t use pre emptive actions to dictate how a particular ball should be played. I realise that it would simply be too difficult to try and react in real speed and the use of slower game play speeds detract from the experience; however being a batsman myself, I would love to see some new system where each ball is ‘played on its merits’. Whether this could be done by shortening the time the circle is shown on the pitch or if the batsman just try and hit the analog stick in the direction they require I don't know...I've been trying to think of how this could work and have a few ideas but I would like to see if anyone else has any decent ideas to make the game feel more intuitive?

*Edit: Just noticed that Kiz beat me to it haha

RE: Big Ant Cricket - Batting (How would you like to see it done?) - Lord Savvart - 10-17-2012

The only issue with all these good ideas is of course that at the end of the day it is supposed to be a fun, exciting experience and if we change too many things from what people are used to it might alienate them.

Having said that, I'm a cricket tragic so the more hardcore the better but will it be fun for newbies, younger kids, etc...

Tough job getting the balance right I think.

RE: Big Ant Cricket - Batting (How would you like to see it done?) - WannabePopper - 10-17-2012

FPS CRICKET BATTING YES PLEASE =D

I tend to agree and disagree at the same time Lord Savvart.

Big changes from the norm can absolutely turn people off, but they can also bring people in.

Take a look at RLL2. There are a LOT of staples that have changed and yes, there are people who aren't handling the transition very well (heh), but the people who stuck with it have appreciated the superior product.

RE: Big Ant Cricket - Batting (How would you like to see it done?) - sharkies! - 10-17-2012

Just to pick up a few points.

Cricket has a distinct advantage over Rugby League for example, because the formats of cricket already dictate a range of arcade style play (ie. T20) to a far more serious, very tactical game in Test Cricket. By this, I mean that I think it lends itself very well to pleasing players who want to smash the ball around the park (let them do it in T20), while allowing players such as myself seeking a more thorough, and longer challenge the opportunity to do this in Test cricket.

On the topic of being able to hit sixes at the start of an innings, my view is that it should be possible, just extremely hard (and by this I mean make the timing window very small). Make the ideal timing window larger in T20s, and smaller in Test matches, but at the end of the day, its possible to hit a six on the first ball of a test, it'd just be very difficult. Perhaps each player could have a 'nerves' attribute - which determines how nervous they are at the crease. The more nervous, the smaller the timing windows. Obviously a test match would produce more nerves in a batsman, so that could be one way of making the timing harder at the start of a test innings (than say in a T20). Different players could handle nerves better (ie. a Glenn McGrath might handle getting hit for consecutive fours better than a Mitchell Johnson). Another thing that the 'nerves' meter could do, in terms of when batting, is if a player gets hit in the head, the batsmen at the crease (and the next ones coming in) get more nervous. This would provide some incentive to bowling the odd short ball (which there never really has been).

I do agree with the idea that players should fatigue faster if they are hitting big shots. I think fatigue should effect running speed, as well as timing window size.

Also, on the timing windows, the way the IC2010 worked made it far too easy, even against other human opponents. My brother and I realised that an early shot always went a little bit further round (in a clock-wise direction) than where you were aiming, so we always aimed at the particular side of a fielder so that an early shot wouldn't go in the air to him. I would like to see the timing windows split in the following way:
  • absolutely perfect timing (very small window of opportunity). This should always clear the rope (if slog/lofted shot) or have the legs to comfortably make the boundary. It should also go in the exact direction the player aimed.
  • near perfect timing - lofted shots might make it over the rope, but also might fall inside. Shots along the ground should be able to make it to the rope, but only just (providing the fielders opportunity to stop it). Direction might vary by a few degrees.
  • mistimed shot - could go in the air, but probably not for very far. Should be able to pick up 2's or 3's if a gap is found. Direction might vary by a few degrees.
  • poorly timed shot - should provide catching opportunities to fielders inside the ring. Direction could vary by 10-15 degrees. Defensive shots in this timing window should provide catching opportunities for bat pad, silly mid etc
  • miss the ball/edges - keeper, slips or wider if lucky. Close to poorly timed shot => thicker the edge, wider it flies.

I particularly liked the feature in IC2010 where you could turn off the shot aiming marker (the thing that showed you exactly where you were aiming). It made it that little bit harder to pierce gaps. Also, as previously mentioned, being able to adjust how long the bowling marker appears for would be great. I played Cricket 2004 with a patch that turned the bowling marker off - and found it impossible. But having it show exactly where the ball would land for 3 seconds while the bowler ran in made it too easy. Perhaps just as the bowler hits the crease the marker could appear (so before he's released the ball, but not for very long).

And finally, I just wanted to reiterate my desire for the ability to bat as just one member of the lineup, where any ball that a player other than your designated player is facing is simulated. I think it would be

"a revolution"

RE: Big Ant Cricket - Batting (How would you like to see it done?) - tom.burt - 10-24-2012

Right Analogue stick for shot selection.

get some rookie batsmen from Melbourne and put him in a mo-cap suit and tell him to play a straight drive, a cover drive and so on.

Realistic celebrations when milestones are reached. Such as taking helmet off.

Make the bowling alot faster and this way you can use the right analog stick on instict

as when you have to press buttons you have to do too much.

analog stick is just a quick flick and thats the way cricket is. INSTICT!!!!!!

For pull shots, you should just aim it North East and it will automatically go for a pull shot regardless if its a yorker or not.

RE: Big Ant Cricket - Batting (How would you like to see it done?) - ricky87 - 11-19-2012

First of all, there must not be a six or a loft button, that is so unrealistic! And I think this would also ensure that there are no first ball sixes or fours. I want a game where defence is as important as playing your shots and that includes leaving the ball and ducking under bouncers. A batsman who just comes in needs to get set before trying his shots, he could still try and play a hook or a late cut through the slip area but then he should be at a greater risk of getting out. And this is for all formats, not just Test matches.

A well settled batsman should be more vulnerable when fatigue sets in and that is when he should play straight and defensive to regain his focus, but this has to happen randomly and neither the batting team nor the bowling team should be aware of it, so that the well settled batsman does not become cautious and the bowling team who might be using a part time bowler does not bring in their strike bowler.
Simulating fatigue and other elements realistically for different formats must be very hard work but I am sure you guys will pull it off!

Also, whether a shot goes for a 6 or a 4 or is a total mis-hit should completely depend on timing and timing should be influenced by various factors like how good and well set the batsman is, aggression, what are his concentration levels, how good the bowler is etc.

Timing should dictate how far the ball goes, which direction it goes in, how quickly it goes there and whether it is aerial or along the ground. For example, I get 2 similar deliveries from a fast bowler, and I play a pull shot, the first one goes for a 6 over deep mid wicket and the second one is mistimed and is caught at deep square leg... These were extreme examples, basically what I am trying to convey is every Square Cut or a Cover Drive does not give me identical looking shots.