Big Ant Studios

Full Version: FAQ / Tips / Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Hi everyone,

With Rugby League Live 4 either out and in the hands of some people or awaiting release for others. We thought it would be worth a thread for those with questions about the controls, mechanics and general answers on what might help make you better at this game!

First things first, I highly urge everyone to read up! Read the loading screens, read the manual if you have it and just get your head around everything that there is to do and how you do it. There is a heap of helpful information in there that will 100% improve how you play the game.

If you don't have easy access to any of these things, here's some helpful links (I'll add a cheat sheet of all the loading screen text here tomorrow):
LOADING SCREEN TEXT:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...b_gOGQp_E/

LOADING SCREENS (PS4 controls) - Note not all loading screen tips are at this following link:
https://press-start.com.au/guides/2017/0...s-screens/

CONTROLS (PS4 Controls):
https://press-start.com.au/guides/2017/0...-controls/

MANUAL (PS4):
http://www.trublu.com.au/manuals/rll4/ps...manual.pdf

MANUAL (Xbox One):
http://www.trublu.com.au/manuals/rll4/xb...manual.pdf

Now to some FAQ's and answers:

"The game is really hard! How can I win?!"
Start on a lower difficulty and work your way up. This is a new game, with new mechanics and systems. Learn them and then bump the difficulty as you go. There's no shame in starting at rookie or amateur.

"How do I get my players to take advantage of my passing better?"
There's two different styles of passing. Deep and flat passes. A deep pass will be executed with a single tap of the pass button (or pass button + cutout button). A flat pass will be executed with a double tap of the pass button (or pass button + double tap of cutout button). Deep passes will go to the receivers position, meaning you make a safer pass that may not get a lot of forward velocity. A flat pass will be a faster, flatter pass in front of the receiver however this could mean you risk an interception but should allow you to get a player running onto the ball with speed. Mix up both of these pass types on offence to take advantage of your teammates and get through a gap on defence.

"There's no compress defence tactic anymore, is this feature removed?"
No. Hold L2/LT when on defence to go into controlled movement. This offers a number of things, the first being that your defensive line will compress. Controlled movement also offers some other helpful elements too. It will move your player back onside and if you're in be a pro it will move your player to the correct position on defence. Perhaps most helpful is that it will set your player up and allow your player to strafe along the line to give minimal moving room for an oncoming ball carrier. Use controlled movement a lot on defence early on until you get a hang of defence.

"I'm not making many metres on offence, what can I do to rectify this?"
Use the right stick. The right stick is your mechanic stick. Clicking it in will perform a hit up. Moving the right stick left or right will perform a side step. Moving the right stick up before a tackle will perform a fend. But most importantly, when engaged in a tackle holding the right stick up will perform a drive in a tackle. All of these elements when used at the right time will help you gain many invaluable metres while on offence.

"How do I get my kick away before the opposition charge me down?"
One big key difference with in-play kicking in RLL4 is that the charge meter isn't a "power bar". The charge meter is an accuracy bar. Meaning that you don't HAVE to charge the meter fully to get some distance on your kick. Use the left stick to push the aiming marker out and if you don't have a lot of time, tap the kick button. While this will be an inaccurate kick, it will still go the distance that your marker is aiming. The more charged up the meter is the more accurate your kick will be, so if you do have time it will be nice and accurate. But just remember that you don't have to charge the meter fully to get a kick away.

"I don't like player X or player Y's rating, role or team. Can I alter this?"
Yes! Every single player in the game can have their attributes, skills, roles and teams changed to your liking.

"How do I switch players?"
Player switching controls have changed up somewhat from the past games. L1/LB will switch to the closest player to the ball. R1/RB will cycle between the 3 closest players. R1/RB + the right stick left or right will scroll players down the defensive line (learn to utilise this as this ultimately is the best way to switch who you want to, very fast). However, if you do not like this new control scheme there is a "Classic Player Switching" control option in settings that sets it back to similar controls to past games (L1/LB to switch player left or R1/RB to switch player right).

"How do attributes increase in pro career?"
Attributes increase in career over time. You can earn points during matches to add to your pro players skill points and increase the various skills.

Hopefully this information is helpful. If you have any questions about the controls, mechanics and what they do feel free to post here. We will endeavour to answer what we can, where we can.

NOTE - This is not a thread for bugs, anomalies or feedback on general gameplay (that will come once the game has officially released and has all the available patches and content available to everyone).
Thanks HBK, this is great.
I don't have the game yet, but could you please confirm two things:

1) With clicking in the right stick to perform a hit up, when should this be pressed? I remember this was in RLL3 but I could never seem to get it to work.

and

2) How quickly do a players attributes increase in career and is it based off performance? Also does this same logic apply to all players in a coach career?
I've swithed to the old defensive player select, however pressing there's no button to switch to the nearest player as there was in RLL3. You can only cycle left and right.
Ive read everywhere but cant see how to dummy pass......
It should be the same as previous games Hold L1 and press R1 or vice versa.

Also ball strips controls haven't been mentioned.
(07-19-2017, 09:39 PM)secondsolution Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have the game yet, but could you please confirm two things:

1) With clicking in the right stick to perform a hit up, when should this be pressed? I remember this was in RLL3 but I could never seem to get it to work.

and

2) How quickly do a players attributes increase in career and is it based off performance? Also does this same logic apply to all players in a coach career?
1) It works similarly to every other right stick mechanic. Best applied just before you make contact/get tackled by your opposition player. If you can get a side step or fend to work then you'll be able to get the hit up to work with the same/similar timing.

2) All attributes do increase over time regardless of performance, but will have a slight boost with better performances. Coach career attributes/skills are automatically distributed over time in a similar manner.

(07-19-2017, 09:42 PM)Matt BnW Wrote: [ -> ]I've swithed to the old defensive player select, however pressing there's no button to switch to the nearest player as there was in RLL3. You can only cycle left and right.
Correct. As I said in the FAQ the controls are similar, not exact. Due to controlled movement being on L2/LT it means that the nearest player option is not there. It's only the L1/LB & R1/RB options.

I do highly recommend giving the new controls a go. Once you figure out the hold RB and scroll with the right stick to select the player you'll never want to go back!

(07-19-2017, 09:46 PM)Shunta Wrote: [ -> ]Ive read everywhere but cant see how to dummy pass......

Hold the pass button in the direction you want to dummy then tap the other pass button.
Thanks HBK. I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays Smile
Why is benji marshall, a 32 year old 79 rated player so expensive? the asking price to sign him is $710,000 -$732,000. Greg Inglis is on a salary of $381,000. Robbie Farah is on a salary of $570,000. Seriously? what the hell is this?
I'm hopefully getting the game tomorrow but just a quick question for those of you that have it.

On Xbox One, do we need to update the game before we play it (like many games require) or is there no update needed at this stage at all?

Just wondering as I want to install it offline.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18