Big Ant Studios

Full Version: RLL4 Early Impressions **UPDATED**
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Early Impressions 
- Its really fuckn hard
- There are plenty of new controls which will take a lot to get used to.
- Forward momentum is VERY prominent. Hold R3 UP with forwards and it works more often than not. Its awesome. ...
- Set plays...LOL so hard to implement, but they are there and they work really well.
- L2 controlled tackles are a great addition - they are safe tackles and it allows you to lock in your defender to make him move slowly pretty much. It also has a lower chance of an offload.
- diving tackles don't always work
-Change player is difficult as its a new mechanic. R1 and L1 change to the closest player. Hold R1 and move R3 Right/left to manually choose a player. This wont change on sideline camera, and it most certainly suits behind camera.
- In-play kicking is very much the same
- goal kicking isn't hard at all
- ankle taps are cool and Latrell Mitchell goose stepped me to the tryline.
- Huge difference in speed and agility between forwards and backs.
- I got smacked 34-6 on veteran difficulty. its really tough.
- The AI is better than RLL3, however you still get the random pass which flies 20 metres (don't worry about this too much, it happened once).
- the lighting and graphics are actually really good.
- Frame rate on PS4 pro is excellent.
- no changes to coach mode that I have noted. Exactly the same set-up. disappointing.
- no gameplay sliders.
- there is now timing for contested catches. you need to wait for the indicated to go green (similar to goal kicking) to successfully completed a contested take.
- inconsistent passing is a major issue. at random times passes will be extremely lofted. very prominent in offloads. They like to throw
unnecessary hail mary passes too.
- Big hits are quite easy to pull off and 90% of the time result in a knock on.
- Changing player is an issue. L1 is meant to switch to the nearest player - this becomes an issue when there is a linebreak.

All of the above are PRE-PATCH impressions. Big Ant contacted me saying there is a patch that will get released on the official release date. As I have it early theres no patch yet.
Post any questions below Smile
Do the A.I actually run diagonally often and avoid defenders and draw and pass the fullback?
Whats the kicking mechanics like?
(07-18-2017, 10:31 AM)Yuna Wrote: [ -> ]Do the A.I actually run diagonally often and avoid defenders and draw and pass the fullback?

AI mix it up. in my two games the have ran both straight and diagonally. Quite evenly proportioned but slightly towards straight I would say. I haven't had a draw and pass scenario yet so I cant say
Do you notice much difference hitting it up with a forward compared to a back?
(07-18-2017, 10:32 AM)DEVICER Wrote: [ -> ]Whats the kicking mechanics like?

In-play? or goal kicking? 

In-play kicking is the same really, no big difference besides the indicator.

Goal kicking isn't difficult. Same mechanic with R3 but more risk of missing if it goes red.
Wow a lot of these sounds like additions I wanted! I just hope career mode has been improved upon more than what was said in the Press Start Review
(07-18-2017, 10:32 AM)nbugge94 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2017, 10:31 AM)Yuna Wrote: [ -> ]Do the A.I actually run diagonally often and avoid defenders and draw and pass the fullback?

AI mix it up. in my two games the have ran both straight and diagonally. Quite evenly proportioned but slightly towards straight I would say. I haven't had a draw and pass scenario yet so I cant say

Do they spread it wide and utilise their wingers a bit more?
(07-18-2017, 10:33 AM)Yuna Wrote: [ -> ]Do you notice much difference hitting it up with a forward compared to a back?
100%. The momentum seriously IS THERE. You'll almost always get momentum with a prop. Hold R3 up and they will pump their legs to move up the field. nearly impossibly to do with backs. 

This was my biggest concern and they have done a good job with it to be honest. 

The only thing is, if you play on sideline camera, the R3 controls don't change. So you need to push R3 up for momentum, even though you are technically pointing R3 to the grandstand. THe R3 controls suit the behind camera.
BE a Pro mode what new changes are there?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18