Big Ant Studios

Full Version: Simulation Fan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gday all,

New member, but been a massive fan of League/Union games since Jonah Lomu on the PS1 (shows my age I guess).

While I sometimes actually play the games, I do enjoy simply creating fantasy teams and letting the computer/console play the game for me and simply spectate. A few mates submit teams, and I make up some classic teams from the 80's and 90's and then create a custom knockout competiton. Makes for good viewing and I enjoy the simulation without actually playing with the control pad.

I purchased Rugby League 3 on the XB1 the other week and had planned on running a 'simulation' competition and perhaps having a crack at 'coach' mode too.

BUT, a few issues are really impacting on my enjoyment of the game.

1. In Coach mode, there seems to be someone else making substitutions on my behalf. I'm the Coach, why are players being sub'd when I'm not doing it?

2. Player Stat Editing. Why can't I edit the entire range of individual stats? Why am I limited to a small handful of sliders that seem to affect random statistics. Its really hard to get a player as close as possible to being realistic when sometime when you want to move one attribute, other ones are affected too.

These two issues need addressing for me to get the most out of the game. I love the idea of 'Fanhub' and being able to download and upload teams and players from classic era's, and fantasy clubs etc... But if player stats editing is not realistic, and when you try and take control of a team as its Coach and find yourself not in total control, its FRUSTRATING.

This game has the potential to be really good with massive depth for a guy like me who is into stats and simulations. I'm trying to keep positive about the game and please don't think I'm a hater of the game, far from it. But its falling short atm.

Love the introduction of the 9's, Coach Mode, and Pro Player Mode. Great concepts that have been poorly implemented at the present time. Patches coming .......?

Comments? Ideas?
(10-12-2015, 08:15 PM)Rypien GT Wrote: [ -> ]2. Player Stat Editing. Why can't I edit the entire range of individual stats? Why am I limited to a small handful of sliders that seem to affect random statistics. Its really hard to get a player as close as possible to being realistic when sometime when you want to move one attribute, other ones are affected too.

Completely agree AND you are certainly not alone. I think most people on here feel exactly the same. I have spent hours and hours trying to tweak the stats to get it to match the specific attributes I had compiled in RLL2. I realise the 2 games are very different and that the stats no doubt have a different impact....BUT at the moment it is impossible to have true and realistic individuality. Sadly, the feedback I have had from the lads at Big Ant, is that the current system will not be changed.
In fairness I have absolutely no clue how easy or difficult something like this would be to change, but I really hope there is a compromise which allows for this in the future. I believe the specific stats are calculated in-game and are not stored in the save file. Perhaps that is something that can be looked at, so that we can tweak them to our hearts content. Without wanting to sound like a scolded child (and a broken record), I must admit that this issue has lessened my enthusiasm for doing the classic patch. No point releasing all the graphical stuff if we can't have the players stats matching. Big Ant have always shown a propensity to listen to the fans on most fronts, so perhaps we all need to push for this critical element.
RLL2 was pretty damn good on managing your team in Franchise. Also editing players positions really helped as well.
(10-13-2015, 12:38 PM)sharkies Wrote: [ -> ]I shake my head each game because I cant even change my goal kicker from Mick Ennis to Mick Gordon. Why was that changed when RLL2 was perfect for "managing" your team.
Good posts guys.

You definitely can in coach mode.
Good to hear thoughts from other users.

Manage/Simulate/Spectate/Coach, whatever it is I'm in. Don't know why I enjoy making up fantasy teams and letting them go at it, but I guess I'm too lazy to pick up the controller and press buttons.

Thinking of reverting back to other/older versions of League games in order to get the customisation and edit functions that make it more enjoyable for simulation. Coach Mode is hampered by the lack of proper player editing functions in Rugby League 3 by the looks of things. I want my team to be precise, and when I'm getting frustrated when trying to edit a single player then something is wrong with the product. A simple Patch would fix the issue and make it endlessly more enjoyable and accurate.

My custom league sits in wait until the day I can get the teams players stats more accurate.
i think the best next thing is if we can't get the edit option feature included, at least have the players stats updating frequently? i wouldn't mine that. Tongue
(10-14-2015, 08:59 PM)sharkies Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-13-2015, 01:53 PM)FissionMailed Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-13-2015, 12:38 PM)sharkies Wrote: [ -> ]I shake my head each game because I cant even change my goal kicker from Mick Ennis to Mick Gordon. Why was that changed when RLL2 was perfect for "managing" your team.
Good posts guys.

You definitely can in coach mode.

I must be blind Fission, I have looked high & low not only in game but in the instructions & online & cant find a way to change goal kickers from Ennis to Gordon in manager mode. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

When it comes to managing your lineup for that round you have to press one of the bumpers and you can change Captain, Goal kicker, Playmaker1 Pm2..
Yeah what Bmadden said, before or during a game you can change it, look for button prompts above your team list.
Dusted off Rugby League 2 World Cup Edition on the xBox360 and was surprised how well it holds up. Creating realistic players and teams is soo much easier, although without 'fanhub' it does take time to get things just right.

At this stage it looks like No2 gets the nod over No3. Will be dusting off the 360 and recreating some more fantasy players/leagues, while my xBox 1 copy of Rugby League 3 awaits future patching to allow realistic stat editing.

Was surprised that the AI gameplay when left to battle it out by themselves seemed more realistic in No2 than 3 as well. Side by side 2 is better for simulated gameplay imho.

Remembering this is from a perspective of a non player. I let the AI simulate the game and simply create the teams and players, trying to get them as accurate as possible. If Rugby League 3 allowed its obvious depth to be edited (like it did in No2), then the game would kick arse for a simulation nerd like me.