Big Ant Studios

Full Version: Tackling - help me, as I'm having a nightmare with it!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This is an open plea for help, to enable me to fall back in love with this game. I've been waiting, as I know most you of have too, for over a year for this game. I've so wanted to absolutely love it, but at the moment I can't.....

My issue is defence. I cannot time my tackles, or more accurately I can't deal with the sidestep or fend from attacking opponents - particularly out wide.

Most of my gametime is online - against a good mate of mine, and he is constantly spanking me as I can't deal with his wingers sidestepping. Basically, he throws it out wide, his winger sidesteps mine and then runs rings around my fullback. I only manage to tackle him 1 in about 5 - but that's usually when I'm 40-50 points down.

Now this is ruining the game for me. I don't get much time to play, so I want to play a good game; this is a flaw that is spoiling it for me, and I don't want it to.

So - how do I time my tackles for sidesteps? At the moment, I'm trying both X and O, (PS4) holding the button down a good half second to a second before I'm due to make contact.

Also... my statistics for missed tackles are horrendous. I'm sure it's down to my technique, so any help I can receive would be appreciated.

As an aside, I believe the sidestep is badly weighted towards the attacking team. In real life, I'm sure there wouldn't be a 90% chance of succeeding in a 1-on-1 sidestep, but this game seems to defy that probability ..... I'd say success would be less than half, or maybe even less; bear in mind we're playing as professional top-tier teams in the game here. I'm sure the defence would be better.

Please, please stop me putting this game down and picking up FIFA or something else.

Developers - are there any possible changes in the gameplay due in future patches?
Your not on your own I kick off they score ,repeat then same again I need help too

The players I am not controlling while playing online just ignore the ball carrier yet when I play against computer I just win or draw ???
I usually highlight a player who is in the defensive line and move him back 5 yards at the play the ball....this gives a little extra cover if an oppo makes a break. Tackling a winger/flyer? There are 2 tackle options. The dive tackle if he his getting away from you ( he shouldnt be able to offload cos has no support)....or I just guide a defender to flyer and press r thumbstick for a wipe out tackle. Some fliers still get through....but that's part of the game!
Second marker is the best guy to start with, if they pass out wide keep selecting the closest player using L2 and when the player is close enough flick the right stick in the direction you wish to tackle, the earlier and longer the flick is will sort of determine the powering up of the tackle I believe, similarly if you go for a big hit by sprinting and click and hold R3 for a second,

I find loading up the big hit works better whereas flick stick tackles need to be a bit later just a split second before your guy would usually make contact.
(10-07-2015, 09:08 AM)Sausagefingers Wrote: [ -> ]Your not on your own I kick off they score ,repeat then same again I need help too

The players I am not controlling while playing online just ignore the ball carrier yet when I play against computer I just win or draw ???

Yeah - it's very frustrating. My mate doesn't seem to suffer the same as me, so I assume it's something that I'm doing (or more to the point, not doing that's causing me all the problems). Practice, practice, practice, I suppose. I have a few theories, which I'll give a try to, but aren't counting my chickens just yet. Thanks for the response.

(10-07-2015, 07:20 PM)Frankieabbott Wrote: [ -> ]I usually highlight a player who is in the defensive line and move him back 5 yards at the play the ball....this gives a little extra cover if an oppo makes a break. Tackling a winger/flyer? There are 2 tackle options. The dive tackle if he his getting away from you ( he shouldnt be able to offload cos has no support)....or I just guide a defender to flyer and press r thumbstick for a wipe out tackle. Some fliers still get through....but that's part of the game!

Cheers. It's before the line break that I'm more concerned about. My mate throws the ball wide, then his winger just steps around his opposite number, then again around a flailing fullback. My cover is usually nowhere..... very frustrating

(10-07-2015, 07:39 PM)Hartyharty Wrote: [ -> ]Second marker is the best guy to start with, if they pass out wide keep selecting the closest player using L2 and when the player is close enough flick the right stick in the direction you wish to tackle, the earlier and longer the flick is will sort of determine the powering up of the tackle I believe, similarly if you go for a big hit by sprinting and click and hold R3 for a second,

I find loading up the big hit works better whereas flick stick tackles need to be a bit later just a split second before your guy would usually make contact.

Cheers - so where you say "flick the right stick" .... are you finishing that off with X or O, or even R3, or are you relying on the CPU to complete the tackle for you?
No the stick initiates
The tackle, I don't use the face buttons unless it's a diving last ditch tackle when they make a break, all tackling is done with the stick, think of the flick as diving into a tackle, like flicking the stick is making your player initiate contact, I only use the flick as the safe tackling option and the r3 click if I want to smash a player
(10-07-2015, 07:59 PM)Hartyharty Wrote: [ -> ]...I only use the flick as the safe tackling option and the r3 click if I want to smash a player

Ok, cheers.... what are your tackling stats like, using this method?
Better than with the face buttons, initially it was hard to learn, but now it's second nature, on pro I routinely hold the opposition to ~10m gained for the 5 tackles if I concerntrate
On PS4 you only have to press the R3 analogue stick and successfully tackles 95% of the time...that's all i use and I'm happy with it.
That's true, but you don't get the drive animation or strip animation when you big hit.

Holding down the player after the tackle using O is very important too, the more set your line is in defense, the better your chances are of tackling and preventing line breaks.
Pages: 1 2 3