Big Ant Studios

Full Version: Constructive Criticism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Hello all, I thought I'd write some positive and constructive feedback in regards to RLL3 judging simply by watching gameplay.

First off we'll start with:

Try Scoring - You now hear the Ref blow the whistle quite a few seconds afterwards in anticipation that it is a try, BUT this is now redundant, because the moment the ball touches that try line, you have the instant flame effects, any chance these can be tweaked, so they match it after the whistle blowing? N.B. the same can be said for the whistle for the conversions, it's too instant and robotic, the moment it goes across the crossbar, instantaneous whistle blowing.

Stadium Atmosphere (Crowds) - Does anyone find these a bit too staged/robotic, I don't think I've ever come across a game where you see so many flags waving in the air, with the exact same motion, I feel this needs to be toned down, because Looking at the crowds in Be A Pro view, you can see the animations are very reptitive, and who honestly waves their flag that much when they're spectating (ok maybe a couple), fair enough if they score a try but not when your in the middle of the field.

Player Movement - This seems to have progressed really well since the last 2 iterations of the game, but there are a couple of niggles that I have noticed:
Backstepping / Sidestepping - In my opinion these seem to be overused, More often the than not players just casually run back to the 10, in this game, everyone just backsteps or sidesteps way too often, and it seems as if they're doing it at high speeds.

Overall you have little quirky animations here or there, but in my opinion these can be overlooked with the budget that Bigant would be on. I'm not hear to criticise the game, but rather just point out some simple mistakes, that I believe could be tweaked just to make the game seem that little bit more polished.

I'd be happy to hear other peoples responses and or constructive criticism of what they see.

Cheers.
Stopped reading after your intro.

How can you offer constructive criticism without playing the game? That'd be like offering constructive criticism on a movie based off of the trailer.
(08-28-2015, 10:42 PM)SOR Wrote: [ -> ]Stopped reading after your intro.

How can you offer constructive criticism without playing the game? That'd be like offering constructive criticism on a movie based off of the trailer.

My feedback is merely judging by what I have seen, You don't need to play it to see the faults I've listed, so maybe you should read them. What reinforces my feedback is the reliability of what I have seen in all the videos, and it backs up what I have said.

And Basing a movie off a trailer? Really?, this isn't a trailer were watching it's the freaking "movie", metaphorically speaking.
the pyrotechnics after trys/kicks/pts are horrible. a truly pure sounding whistle is all you need to capture the essence of rugby league. firecrackers mid game is for the NFL and their breaks
I had a read at your suggestion and some of it does relate to the people playing the game. Side stepping for example is all on the player.

Also, with all due respect I'm not sure that you know what constructive criticism is. Most of the time constructive criticism is saying something is bad and offering a way to improve it in a friendly or helpful manner.

Ultimately it just seems like small things that are bothering you from the videos so I guess it's complimentary to BigAnt that you aren't angry with major game play components or graphics etc.
(08-28-2015, 10:51 PM)ak47 Wrote: [ -> ]the pyrotechnics after trys/kicks/pts are horrible. a truly pure sounding whistle is all you need to capture the essence of rugby league. firecrackers mid game is for the NFL and their breaks

This.

Never EVER happens at SL games.Can we get this taken out BigAnt?
(08-28-2015, 10:51 PM)SOR Wrote: [ -> ]I had a read at your suggestion and some of it does relate to the people playing the game. Side stepping for example is all on the player.

Also, with all due respect I'm not sure that you know what constructive criticism is. Most of the time constructive criticism is saying something is bad and offering a way to improve it in a friendly or helpful manner.

Ultimately it just seems like small things that are bothering you from the videos so I guess it's complimentary to BigAnt that you aren't angry with major game play components or graphics etc.

Exactly, I did offer solutions to most problems. And I'm quite happy with the core of the game, I feel like they just need to iron out the wrinkles, it's no hard feelings, just want to make them aware of it. I'm a developer myself (3D Modeller for another game) and I appreciate when others lookout for the stuff I overlook.

Maybe I used the word Constructive Criticism, so people don't instantly think this is a Big Ant bashing and go into defensive mode.
I'm not suggesting it's a bad thread or anything and you seem like a good guy I'm just saying I find it odd to write a review of sorts based off game play videos. You can do what you want though, don't let me discourage you.
I have noticed with restarts (goal line dropouts etc) that the refs whistle sounds after play as resumed. It should be the other way around.

There was a SL video where the guy was playing a SL be a pro game at fullback. When a decision went to the video ref it had the NRL badging on the decision screen.
In one of the videos, a player was diving to score a try. He was touched by an offside player and the ref instantly blew a penalty. He didn't score the try. I don't know how one would code that logic. If they're inside the 10, there is a delay?

9 times out of 10 instant penalties would be good. No time wasting. Just this extreme instance.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10