Big Ant Studios

Full Version: How are the Sharks not over the cap? Seriously...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Cronulla Sharks, a team I don't really mind and would like to see win the Grand Final if my Roosters couldn't get it done.

But looking at their roster you have to question how they're under the cap and have so many decent players whilst the Titans/Tigers etc have 1-2 rep players.

Take a look at how Cronulla will most likely line up in Round 1 2016. Keep in mind the players who have been bought by Cronulla and have played representative football within the past 3-4 years (I'll list them):

1. Ben Barba (Considered by many to be a top fullback and probably has been unlucky to never have played representative football. Regardless, he's a big name signing)

2. Sosaia Feki

3. Jack Bird (20 year old kid who played for Country within his first 10 first grade games. Is considered a future New South Wales Origin representative with many calling for him to be picked this year. Was poached from the Dragons)

4. Gerard Beale (New Zealand representative with his last game for them being just last year. Bought from the Dragons as a New Zealand representative)

5. Valentine Holmes (Considered one of Queensland's top prospects and a future Origin star for them)

6. James Maloney (Probably a top 5 half in the competition. Has been the dominant half for the Roosters this year who are first and played State Of Origin in 2013. He's a big name signing from the Roosters)

7. Chad Townsend

8. Sam Tagatese

9. Michael Ennis (Played for New South Wales this year and is considered one of the in form hookers right now. A valued veteran who would be on big money)

10. Andrew Fifita (Played for New South Wales this year. Has 6 games for Australia and a World Cup victory in 2013. Is going to be a NSW regular from 2016 onwards)

11. Luke Lewis (Current Australian representative. Signed with the Sharks as a representative player.)

12. Wade Graham

13. Paul Gallen © (Current New South Wales captain and probably the best lock forward in the entire competition)

14. Tinirau Arona

15. David Fifita

16. Anthony Tupou (Is older now but signed with the Sharks when he was a current representative player. Has 11 games for Australia, 4 games for New South Wales and an All Stars jersey)

17. Jayson Bukuya

---

So from that list you have a spine featuring a guy who would have 9-12 games for Queensland if not for Billy Slater, a former NSW Origin representative who is currently guiding around the number 1 team and a current NSW Origin second string hooker.

Throw in two huge future prospects (Holmes and Bird) and a number of Australian/NSW rep players (Fifita, Lewis, Gallen). It's hard to believe this team is under the cap especially when Gallen has said he makes a million a year and Fifita was looking for around 800,000 last year. Lewis when he signed would have wanted a huge amount I'm sure (NSW and Australian rep at the time) whilst the likes of Barba, Maloney and Ennis don't come cheap either nor do Holmes and Bird who are/were probably chased by every major team in the competition.

I know the Roosters get accused of this as well but if you look at our team most of our guys became rep players after signing with the Roosters whilst the Sharks have seemingly signed most of their representative players. It's definitely fishy.

Thoughts?
I suppose it's all circumstantial, It depends on when a lot of the players signed their contract and how long it lasts for. Bird and Holmes only became superstars this year (correct me if I'm wrong) and if they already have a contract for next season they won't be earning a whole lot of money. At the start of the season these players weren't regarded as upcoming superstars, but now they are.

Barba and Tupou are past their best, I doubt Tupou is on the same salary he had when he was playing for Australia, his salary is probably a lot lower than you think. Barba has been hopeless since his troubles off the field, so again he wouldn't be earning whole lot.

Beale isn't that great in my opinion and didn't play for NZ this year, but either way he's not a superstar so not on big money. Luke Lewis, he's good but he didn't play for NSW despite playing for Aus. He's also getting older and throw in the fact that Panthers didn't want him so he probably signed cheap.

So that leaves Ennis, Gallen, Fifita and Maloney as the big earners. I could be wrong but didn't Sharks trade Lichaa for Ennis, so not sure what his salary is but perhaps it's not on the level of the other 3. So I don't think the Sharks are over the cap but they must be using very cent available.

On another note the Roosters are accused of being over the cap due to their amount of rep players. I know they developed at the Roosters, but these players would surely want a pay rise when they start playing rep footy.
(08-29-2015, 05:21 PM)Squirbos19 Wrote: [ -> ]On another note the Roosters are accused of being over the cap due to their amount of rep players. I know they developed at the Roosters, but these players would surely want a pay rise when they start playing rep footy.

That's why we've lost a few representative players since the 2013 Grand Final. We wanted to re-sign guys like Cordner, Tupou, Hastings, JWH etc and had to sacrifice the likes of Sonny Bill, James Maloney, Frank Paul, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and others to stay under the cap.

It just seems like the Sharks don't ever lose anyone big.
Yeah I can see why the Sharks could be over the cap as they do never really seem to get rid of anyone. I know Gordon is leaving at the end of the year, but apart from that I'm not sure who else is leaving. But then again it's not as though they've had any superstars the last few years. It does definitely seem odd that they've made some nice signings in the last 2 years and haven't gotten rid of anyone.

Actually now that I think about it, how the hell did they sign Maloney? Gordon is definitely not in the same salary range.
I think it's pretty easy how they're under the cap.

Penrith on the other hand.
(08-29-2015, 06:08 PM)Squirbos19 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I can see why the Sharks could be over the cap as they do never really seem to get rid of anyone. I know Gordon is leaving at the end of the year, but apart from that I'm not sure who else is leaving. But then again it's not as though they've had any superstars the last few years. It does definitely seem odd that they've made some nice signings in the last 2 years and haven't gotten rid of anyone.

Actually now that I think about it, how the hell did they sign Maloney? Gordon is definitely not in the same salary range.

According to a website they got a pretty good deal on Maloney. 450k a year which is really cheap for a guy playing Origin 2 years ago and a guy who has been in the finals for the past 3 seasons.
Who was the other half that was moving to the Sharks? Because there going to having a decent lineup next year.
Wow 450k a year is really cheap for Maloney, in that case they're probably under the cap, I thought he would have signed for a lot more than that.

@Grizzly, Chad Townsend is going to the Sharks next year. If he's the player you're talking about.

@bestpropjared, good joke Tongue
LMAO this is the funniest thread. Roosters supporter speculating other clubs are over the cap. Look at your own team man. that shit is packed with talent.
(09-02-2015, 04:28 PM)FreshsoulL Wrote: [ -> ]LMAO this is the funniest thread. Roosters supporter speculating other clubs are over the cap. Look at your own team man. that shit is packed with talent.

The same team that has lost one of the top 10 players in the league (Sonny Bill) and 3 representative players (FPN, RTS and Maloney) along with a number of suitable first graders (Mortimer, Casty, O'Donnell, Minichello, Macdonald) all in the space of 2 years?

Most of the Roosters that you'd think would make us over the cap were on smaller amounts of money before being upgraded this year. Tupou is someone who was renewed this year but had been cheap for us before and Guerra probably wasn't making huge money before re-signing either.

To keep those players we had to let RTS, Maloney, SBW etc go but we're somehow over the cap. Right.
Pages: 1 2