Big Ant Studios

Full Version: Hey Ross
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just wondering mate and not sure if you can answer but if you can great!

How involved with game development has the NRL been? Or even the AFL for that matter. I mean have they provided you guys with assistance in regards to Branding, Player availability, ect ect

I only ask because I was doing some research on game development from some of the bigger companies around the world and it seems when buying a license ie; WWE, FIFA, NBA, UFC these brands seem to get heavily involved in the development when it comes to advertising and scheduling player availability to these studios for MoCap and player scanning along with promotion of the product on their telecasts and when doing media appearances.

From everything I have seen or heard about RL games it appears from an outsiders view that the NRL sell the license then pretty much walk away and leave it all up to the Devs and publishers to come up with whatever they can achieve.
I'll take a stab in the dark and guess that you pretty much answered your own question. Maybe at best the devs get good photos of high profile players so they can make the models.
I think the NRL should help out anyway they can not just give them the licesining stuff and walk away.
(07-03-2015, 02:58 PM)jacktigers Wrote: [ -> ]I think the NRL should help out anyway they can not just give them the licesining stuff and walk away.

I'm of the same opinion. This is a showcase of their game and a great way to bring in new fans as well as hook the kiddies from an early age.

I remember years ago the footy show used to use one of the games to run through scenario's of tactics and stuff. This kind of advertising and marketing is invaluable.

Its got me knackered why they wouldn't want to be involved as much as possible.
The issue for me is that the local codes are scared whit less by Soccer and that kids are all playing FIFA but do not see that a video game is a marketing opportunity for them and it should not be treated merely as a source of revenue.

If it were up to me I'd give the game away on every box of cornflakes / bottle of Coke / whatever - just get the numbers! But hey, I'm just a developer and mad sports fan, what would I know....
(07-03-2015, 06:30 PM)Ross Wrote: [ -> ]The issue for me is that the local codes are scared whit less by Soccer and that kids are all playing FIFA but do not see that a video game is a marketing opportunity for them and it should not be treated merely as a source of revenue.

If it were up to me I'd give the game away on every box of cornflakes / bottle of Coke / whatever - just get the numbers! But hey, I'm just a developer and mad sports fan, what would I know....

The marketing director of the NRL must be living under a rock.......
(07-03-2015, 02:58 PM)jacktigers Wrote: [ -> ]I think the NRL should help out anyway they can not just give them the licesining stuff and walk away.

Get what you mean 100%, but the NRL have so much to focus on already? got to understand that they're not like Soccer. they have to focus on 3 divisions of footy, national wide club games, integrity, salaries of players/teams/etc (they do pay some of salary) and then to go and try to help with a game? I dont see it in their timeframe.

Don't get me wrong it would help a hell of a lot for both parties; more sales for TB/BA and possibly more population towards the NRL, however it is a very hard thing to interpret.
actually months ago I emailed the and it's up to their commercial and merchandising team to help out or not. as I had asked them in November if a new rugby league game was going to be made and they replied back they'll ask their merchandising team tc I alos aked if they help out and they said it all depends on how things are but in nar future when the NRL get more employers its a really good possibility.
I think the NRL should see it from both perspectives.

1. Of course they want the revenue from it. The NRL is a popular brand that is going to make money and they definitely should earn financial compensation for allowing it.

2. They should probably see it as a positive. I was never a Rugby Union fan but I know of the likes of George Gregan, Johnny Wilkinson (sp?), Matthew Burke and others simply because the video games were fun to play for a League fan. This lead to me watching a few of the Wallabies matches and despite not being into Union I'm sure they recruited a few young guys like me simply from the video game. Same could happen for FIFA fans or Union fans who pick up a League game, love it and then decide to watch Friday Night Football or something.
(07-03-2015, 11:50 PM)davies11 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-03-2015, 11:48 PM)SOR Wrote: [ -> ]I think the NRL should see it from both perspectives.

1. Of course they want the revenue from it. The NRL is a popular brand that is going to make money and they definitely should earn financial compensation for allowing it.

2. They should probably see it as a positive. I was never a Rugby Union fan but I know of the likes of George Gregan, Johnny Wilkinson (sp?), Matthew Burke and others simply because the video games were fun to play for a League fan. This lead to me watching a few of the Wallabies matches and despite not being into Union I'm sure they recruited a few young guys like me simply from the video game. Same could happen for FIFA fans or Union fans who pick up a League game, love it and then decide to watch Friday Night Football or something.

So in other words you've softened your view now that Ross weighed in?

I'm not sure I was ever against it and wasn't really talking to you. If you want to find the post, find my posts and leave it all here I'll definitely explain my viewpoint.

I mean, from a marketing perspective it makes sense that the NRL tries to find a way to use it to get more kids into junior football or to the games. I don't think they should be giving away thousands of dollars in free advertising though like someone (Was it you?) suggested a couple of months ago.
Pages: 1 2 3