Big Ant Studios

Full Version: Hey Ross
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree man. Personally if I were in charge of the NRL (Which thank god I am not) I would want to be paid for any kind of advertising unless it was a product I was seeing money from.

I see your point though, don't get me wrong. I just don't agree with it.
I can see both sides. It is a product but it is not something I assume that is going straight into their back pocket. Therefore I cannot see them (or any business) giving away millions in advertising in their biggest slots.

That is not to say they should just disregard it. I like SORs idea of plug in and play stations before events. That's something Tru blue could run with minimum input cost to the NRL other than saying yes, you can set up over here.
As the FIFA audience increases so do their fees but they literally gave it away at the beginning - no one knew what a "FIFA" was at the start.

Kids are the future, getting the game in their hands in every form of media is the only long term play.
(07-05-2015, 12:08 AM)Ross Wrote: [ -> ]As the FIFA audience increases so do their fees but they literally gave it away at the beginning - no one knew what a "FIFA" was at the start.

Kids are the future, getting the game in their hands in every form of media is the only long term play.

Ross for PM!
(07-04-2015, 10:12 PM)SOR Wrote: [ -> ]I guess we'll have to agree to disagree man. Personally if I were in charge of the NRL (Which thank god I am not) I would want to be paid for any kind of advertising unless it was a product I was seeing money from.

I see your point though, don't get me wrong. I just don't agree with it.

I'm not sure if you were disagreeing with my proceeding post or someone elses, but here's why I think the NRL (from the available information) are being short-sighted.

Some values and returns are not quantifiable by merely looking at the short term financial return.

There can be a symbiotic relationship between a video game developer and the sport the developer is making a game about. It may well be that both parties get something out of advertising that's mutually beneficial.

For example, the developer may get to put their product in a spotlight they could never ordinarily do due to the financial cost. Whereas the sport itself gets to put itself forward as a larger cross-media entity and it pushes ideas into kids and parents heads that this is a sport with even more going for it.

The video game would undoubtably find it's way into a larger percentage of homes than it does now. The more homes it's in, the more the sport is in the consciousness of the youth.

Globally you could have a lot more kids finding a team that's for them and then going to games or playing for teams, ones who right now might follow soccer or another sport. I'm not saying they'll give up their "other sport" interests, but it might just make League take precedence.

Soccer thrives also in part due to the perceived "safety" aspect of the sport, and to partly overcome that you need kids pushing to play it. If they are playing RLL with their friends they're going to likely ask to play it at school with their friends too.

If you look at how WWE push the WWE games, it's very much hyped in such a way that it's about amplifying the heroic superstars of their product. It's something that the NRL could do very well, if they wanted to.

Perhaps it could be tied to a licensing fee bonus for the NRL if a certain number of copies sell above the normal amount usually sold.
I should be clearer that I am not particularly talking about the NRL, I'm suggesting that all sports that do not have global reach should embed themselves before it's too late by literally giving the game away so as to have the broadest base going forward - they should make their money from advertising, attendances, merchandise, memberships, whatever.
(07-05-2015, 09:50 AM)Ross Wrote: [ -> ]I should be clearer that I am not particularly talking about the NRL, I'm suggesting that all sports that do not have global reach should embed themselves before it's too late by literally giving the game away so as to have the broadest base going forward - they should make their money from advertising, attendances, merchandise, memberships, whatever.

Yeah, I definitely got the feeling that you were talking about all sports that need to grow their audience. If the audience grows due to more exposure, then that's good for the game, whichever one that is.
Hey Ross I didnt see Keith answer this but will stadiums in career mode be locked in like they were in RLL2 like how if I swap out a team with stadium Australia as their ground and put in a team with say the Perth stadium they'll play at stadium Australia anyway? I remember you told me that you weren't able to fix it in rll2 but I was hoping it was different in 3.
Seems to me that the head honchos of these sports are stuck in an 80's 90's mentality that Gaming is a niche market played by only kids and nerds with no friends.

The game revolution is in full swing, reaching more and more people every year hence the massive budgets some of the top games spend to release titles.

NRL, AFL, Super rugby need to get on-board and see this as a viable way to promote their code
(07-04-2015, 09:43 AM)benrhino Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-04-2015, 08:39 AM)Joshfc92 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-04-2015, 02:35 AM)benrhino Wrote: [ -> ]In terms of video games leading to a bigger audience or more participation etc I can vouch for that first hand. I knew nothing of American football until I picked up a copy of Madden. I now have a decent understanding of the game, watch my team every game that's on at a sensible time and the draft/predraft stuff. I even went training at a somewhat local team (though it was far far too expensive to start playing at the time

I think it's certainly an opportunity that the NRL SL RFL whatever are underestimating. What they can do practically other than advertising at their events and venues I don't know.

Leeds Bobcats or Yorkshire Rams by any chance? only just started playing american football myself this year its a great game to play, do miss playing rugby sometimes though!

Yeah it was the Bobcats up in farnley, I was roughly 16/17 at the time so the travelling and costs made it impossible for me to play. Really enjoyed it though, and took some of the stuff we did into my rugby coaching.

I remember at the time they were really enthusiastic about signing me and my mate on because we had being doing full contact rugby for years and American football you can only start contact at I believe it was 17, or the age group we were going in to.

Yeah it is an expensive game, for my helmet and pads was just £200 then there's extras like leg pads, subs, league registration etc.
My team are playing leeds bobcats in a few weeks in leeds hopefully should be a decent game, and a hull team finally beats a leeds team haha!
Pages: 1 2 3