Big Ant Studios

Full Version: Hey Ross
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(07-04-2015, 12:13 AM)davies11 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-04-2015, 12:01 AM)SOR Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-03-2015, 11:50 PM)davies11 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-03-2015, 11:48 PM)SOR Wrote: [ -> ]I think the NRL should see it from both perspectives.

1. Of course they want the revenue from it. The NRL is a popular brand that is going to make money and they definitely should earn financial compensation for allowing it.

2. They should probably see it as a positive. I was never a Rugby Union fan but I know of the likes of George Gregan, Johnny Wilkinson (sp?), Matthew Burke and others simply because the video games were fun to play for a League fan. This lead to me watching a few of the Wallabies matches and despite not being into Union I'm sure they recruited a few young guys like me simply from the video game. Same could happen for FIFA fans or Union fans who pick up a League game, love it and then decide to watch Friday Night Football or something.

So in other words you've softened your view now that Ross weighed in?

I'm not sure I was ever against it and wasn't really talking to you. If you want to find the post, find my posts and leave it all here I'll definitely explain my viewpoint.

I mean, from a marketing perspective it makes sense that the NRL tries to find a way to use it to get more kids into junior football or to the games. I don't think they should be giving away thousands of dollars in free advertising though like someone (Was it you?) suggested a couple of months ago.

I'm not going to bother help you inflate an unvalidated ego, my sentiment was the nrl should recognise the videogames worth in attracting the unaffiliated with their game and I still hold that belief, you can utilise your expertise in marketing to turn an opinion you now share into an argument, by all means find the posts and explain them but it won't benefit me you're turning me off this forum as it is, the info trickling through on the game is keeping me in the meantime...

I'm not an expert in marketing but I agree with you. I don't agree with giving millions away in free advertising but a happy medium where the NRL can use the game to get juniors is of course a good idea and I don't think anyone would argue that.

I think you're upset with the wrong guy personally or you just misunderstood my original point. I was only against giving away millions in free advertising like someone suggested. It's only logical for the NRL to try and use the game to bring more people into the stadiums though. The question is "how?"
(07-04-2015, 12:20 AM)SOR Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-04-2015, 12:13 AM)davies11 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-04-2015, 12:01 AM)SOR Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-03-2015, 11:50 PM)davies11 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-03-2015, 11:48 PM)SOR Wrote: [ -> ]I think the NRL should see it from both perspectives.

1. Of course they want the revenue from it. The NRL is a popular brand that is going to make money and they definitely should earn financial compensation for allowing it.

2. They should probably see it as a positive. I was never a Rugby Union fan but I know of the likes of George Gregan, Johnny Wilkinson (sp?), Matthew Burke and others simply because the video games were fun to play for a League fan. This lead to me watching a few of the Wallabies matches and despite not being into Union I'm sure they recruited a few young guys like me simply from the video game. Same could happen for FIFA fans or Union fans who pick up a League game, love it and then decide to watch Friday Night Football or something.

So in other words you've softened your view now that Ross weighed in?

I'm not sure I was ever against it and wasn't really talking to you. If you want to find the post, find my posts and leave it all here I'll definitely explain my viewpoint.

I mean, from a marketing perspective it makes sense that the NRL tries to find a way to use it to get more kids into junior football or to the games. I don't think they should be giving away thousands of dollars in free advertising though like someone (Was it you?) suggested a couple of months ago.

I'm not going to bother help you inflate an unvalidated ego, my sentiment was the nrl should recognise the videogames worth in attracting the unaffiliated with their game and I still hold that belief, you can utilise your expertise in marketing to turn an opinion you now share into an argument, by all means find the posts and explain them but it won't benefit me you're turning me off this forum as it is, the info trickling through on the game is keeping me in the meantime...

I'm not an expert in marketing but I agree with you. I don't agree with giving millions away in free advertising but a happy medium where the NRL can use the game to get juniors is of course a good idea and I don't think anyone would argue that.

I think you're upset with the wrong guy personally or you just misunderstood my original point. I was only against giving away millions in free advertising like someone suggested. It's only logical for the NRL to try and use the game to bring more people into the stadiums though. The question is "how?"

Video games can help educate foreign audiences about the rules of rugby league, helps create awareness and also engages an audience in a macro environment especially through digital distribution. If I was a marketing director it would be a no-brainer to invest more time & effort into helping better equip video game developers. Targeting a young market could help growth & generate interest then maybe more kids would want to participate.
It's common knowledge that the NRL governing body is useless.
In terms of video games leading to a bigger audience or more participation etc I can vouch for that first hand. I knew nothing of American football until I picked up a copy of Madden. I now have a decent understanding of the game, watch my team every game that's on at a sensible time and the draft/predraft stuff. I even went training at a somewhat local team (though it was far far too expensive to start playing at the time).

I think it's certainly an opportunity that the NRL SL RFL whatever are underestimating. What they can do practically other than advertising at their events and venues I don't know.
(07-04-2015, 02:35 AM)benrhino Wrote: [ -> ]In terms of video games leading to a bigger audience or more participation etc I can vouch for that first hand. I knew nothing of American football until I picked up a copy of Madden. I now have a decent understanding of the game, watch my team every game that's on at a sensible time and the draft/predraft stuff. I even went training at a somewhat local team (though it was far far too expensive to start playing at the time).

I think it's certainly an opportunity that the NRL SL RFL whatever are underestimating. What they can do practically other than advertising at their events and venues I don't know.

Leeds Bobcats or Yorkshire Rams by any chance? only just started playing american football myself this year its a great game to play, do miss playing rugby sometimes though!
(07-04-2015, 08:39 AM)Joshfc92 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-04-2015, 02:35 AM)benrhino Wrote: [ -> ]In terms of video games leading to a bigger audience or more participation etc I can vouch for that first hand. I knew nothing of American football until I picked up a copy of Madden. I now have a decent understanding of the game, watch my team every game that's on at a sensible time and the draft/predraft stuff. I even went training at a somewhat local team (though it was far far too expensive to start playing at the time

Leeds Bobcats or Yorkshire Rams by any chance? only just started playing american football myself this year its a great game to play, do miss playing rugby sometimes though!

Yeah it was the Bobcats up in farnley, I was roughly 16/17 at the time so the travelling and costs made it impossible for me to play. Really enjoyed it though, and took some of the stuff we did into my rugby coaching.

I remember at the time they were really enthusiastic about signing me and my mate on because we had being doing full contact rugby for years and American football you can only start contact at I believe it was 17, or the age group we were going in to.
"Giving away millions in free advertising"

Its promoting the code. Their code, aimed at bringing in more fans. Bums on seats and club membership is what helps this league survive. This is nothing if not a great strategy to boost those numbers. I hardly see how "free advertising of your own product is a poor option?

Or by your mentality, should the NRL not promote state of origin games during regular season matches? Because after all that's free advertising costing them "millions".

This is merely another approach to promoting Rugby league to fans that otherwise couldn't give a rodents rectum about the game.
(07-04-2015, 06:53 PM)Midnight Prowler Wrote: [ -> ]"Giving away millions in free advertising"

Its promoting the code. Their code, aimed at bringing in more fans. Bums on seats and club membership is what helps this league survive. This is nothing if not a great strategy to boost those numbers. I hardly see how "free advertising of your own product is a poor option?

Or by your mentality, should the NRL not promote state of origin games during regular season matches? Because after all that's free advertising costing them "millions".

This is merely another approach to promoting Rugby league to fans that otherwise couldn't give a rodents rectum about the game.

Simple, it's not their own product. Sure. It has the NRL name on it and features the NRL but it isn't an official NRL product where the NRL sees money for it. It's a Big Ant/Tru Blu product where those two companies see money for it (I assume here. I don't know exactly who gets paid how in that relationship but it doesn't matter anyway)

If the NRL hired Big Ant to make the video game and then sold it themselves it would make sense to give millions in free advertising away because they're seeing profit from it and advertising an official NRL product.

I have no idea what your State Of Origin example has to do with anything. The NRL advertise State Of Origin for free because State Of Origin is owned by the NRL and brings in millions of dollars for the NRL in television revenue alone and that's before money from tickets, merchandise, travel packages etc etc

Here is a better example. Lets hypothetically say I'm hosting an autograph signing and I've paid Ben Barba from the Sharks to come to the local RSL Club and sign autographs/take photos for three hours. Using your logic the NRL (Or the Cronulla Sharks) should advertise my event for free on their website, at their games and in general simply because it's an opportunity for the Sharks fans to meet a player and make Sharks fans happy. If Ben is a nice guy they probably want to buy more tickets/merchandise to support him but how realistic is this? Not very. Would it be nice of them to do this for me and to help me make more money from my private event? Yes. Would they do it? Probably not.

The video game can work as a marketing tool but I think I'd be more open to having stations at major NRL events where you can play the game or bringing a player out to sign copies at the local EB Games on release day rather than offering expensive television time or advertisement space simply because it features your players.

TL;DR? NRL shouldn't majorly market the game unless they're seeing money from it but I'd like to see them at least associate themselves with it and recognize it as a good thing.
They sell the license the Tru Blu/HES for a number of years so they have permission to use the NRL branding and likenesses. That's their product. That's their brand. This is how they make money from it. If you don't consider that a valued commodity then there is no point continuing this conversation.

In actual fact the NRL probably has the same mentality as you in regards to the product, which is what this conversation is about. Its ludicrous not to jump on board as a better game = more game sales which = higher licensing fee's next time around.
(07-04-2015, 08:41 PM)Midnight Prowler Wrote: [ -> ]They sell the license the Tru Blu/HES for a number of years so they have permission to use the NRL branding and likenesses. That's their product. That's their brand. This is how they make money from it. If you don't consider that a valued commodity then there is no point continuing this conversation.

In actual fact the NRL probably has the same mentality as you in regards to the product, which is what this conversation is about. Its ludicrous not to jump on board as a better game = more game sales which = higher licensing fee's next time around.

I haven't read all of this thread, but what you're saying seems like basic logic and it's crazy what they're doing. Just really, really short-sighted. Revenue streams are things to be grown and you're not going to grow it by only taking from it.

I'm not just blaming the NRL, it seems Rugby Union has been just as stupid and it's long past time they considered what this product does in all it's long term implications.
Pages: 1 2 3